The Mackem Boozer

medina

Medina was from Surrey or somewhere & came from a family who didn't like football. However his dad's mate was a Mackem, so Medina adopted them & moved to Durham, aged about 18, never having been up north before & started going to mackem games with the ALS bus & joined the SMB messageboard (aka On The Buses, OTB). Through this he met & wooed this enormous & hideous bird called Sarah, who he got engaged to & after about a month they split up, he went back home & became a trainee accountant.

The Mackem Boozer was a short lived rival to OTB, set up to protest about OTB's strict moderation.

Medina was from Surrey or somewhere & came from a family who didn't like football. However his dad's mate was a Mackem, so Medina adopted them & moved to Durham, aged about 18, never having been up north before & started going to mackem games with the ALS bus & joined the SMB messageboard (aka On The Buses, OTB). Through this he met & wooed this enormous & hideous bird called Sarah, who he got engaged to & after about a month they split up, he went back home & became a trainee accountant.

The Mackem Boozer was a short lived rival to OTB, set up to protest about OTB's strict moderation.

Sounds like a failed Toontastic :lol:

Never actually experienced a death on a Newcastle forum other than Dr Spectrum who is/was a Man City fan who posted on N-O, just stopped posting on that and the City forum he used to frequent, also stopped answering emails :unsure2:

Never actually experienced a death on a Newcastle forum other than Dr Spectrum who is/was a Man City fan who posted on N-O, just stopped posting on that and the City forum he used to frequent, also stopped answering emails :unsure2:

mackems who died included Laputian, Hazey (both cancer), Gary Rowell (car crash), the legendary Blep just this week & a young lad whose dad i worked with many, many years ago, who drowned in the River aire on a stag do in Leeds (i believe his brother is the spennymoor goalkeeper)

R.I.P the mackems.

A lot of people have been posting on here for a very long time so I can imagine it being upsetting for fellow posters, mackems or not.

it's all to do with the changing nature of social interaction in the world isn't it?

also, the fact that messageboards are microcosmic by their nature; hence you get people who believe in X ranting hysterically at people who believe in Y, as they somehow imagine following the same football team makes it more likely you'll agree about everything else in the world.

rationally, that is plain daft

Pretty much yeah! Especially if boards have been around a long time as posters become quite familiar after a while and even some personality comes through!

There's been some very repetitive debates on toontastic mind!

Pretty much yeah! Especially if boards have been around a long time as posters become quite familiar after a while and even some personality comes through!

There's been some very repetitive debates on toontastic mind!

frankly, talking about Newcastle United is essentially a fairly repetitive subject.

also it is interesting to compare band messageboards to football ones; with the exception of The Fall's, every music board i use is a gentle, friendly, inclusive sort of place.

you never get the nationalistic, xenophobic, intolerant posturing that seems to be the staple of some football boards (though not this one in most instances)

I don't visit specific band forums but I do frequent music radars forum which is pretty good. Good for shifting guitar gear - if you need too - and the crack isn't too bad.

There's a few morons on there but none of the above I suppose.

Years ago I was a lurker on tynetalk (before it turned into a ghost town due to an exodus) and towards the end of my time on there one of the moderators died suddenly, very young if I remember right. Was one of the best/most reasonable posters on there too. It's a very strange feeling when someone who you've never met but have been reading the thoughts and experiences of on a regular basis just disappears like that.

A friend of mine from a particular band's website (he'd arranged a meet up at a big London gig in July 2006) died in may 2010; he'd been ill with cancer for a while, but he went downhill rapidly & died in a fortnight after a relapse.

The band were touring them & they attended his funeral (as did about 40 messageboard members) - each December there is a charity gig in his memory & we've raised about £5k for Cancer Relief.

He was a genuinely great guy & I was honoured to have known him.