Carling Cup Round

Christmas Tree

But for me its a sense of guarding what we can and not causing ourselves any further complications.

but my point is "we" can't guard anything. You do websites, I drive a cab. Nothing either of us can do so stop worrying!

What will be , will be ... Que sera. :-)

He's entitled to his opinion about what sort of team we should play though. And I agree. We've such a small squad, we need to bring kids through and league cup is the time to do it. It's also folly to flog our first teamers to death when they're so many games to go. I don't think that's being a doom and gloom merchant, it's just common sense.

I have no problem with anyone having an opinion. Puds view is basically he probably not be in the cup cos it might lead to injuries and we can't win it. If that's his view then it logically follows that we might not enter the fa cup as well.

I understand his logic but don't agree with it. I want to be in all the cups and go as far as possible. If we get stretched and get injuries and don't get promoted this year, then tough, that's football.

Had we not been in the cup I would have missed one of the best games in years, a 4-3 thriller. That's what's important to me, not what might or might not happen at some point down the line.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should be playing our strongest possible team for this game and all cup games. We should be in it to win it or at least to progress as far as possible in the competition. Its about winning trophies

People who say promotion is the priority will also be saying survival is the priority next year if we do get promoted. I dont want to end up like Bolton Wanderers, a team that exists solely to scrape around for enough points each season to survive in the top division, a team who are saying to its fans that they will never ever win a trophy or even compete for one.

No thanks, lets not rip off the fans, lets treat the League Cup and FA Cup and our supporters with the respect they deserve and try and win or progress in these competitions.

League Cup is not our priority. We won't win it and if we insist on playing our strongest squad and one of them gets injured, we've shot ourselves in the foot.....

If we had a decent squad maybe we could afford a different approach but we don't and we most definitely can't.

League Cup is not our priority. We won't win it and if we insist on playing our strongest squad and one of them gets injured, we've shot ourselves in the foot.....

If we had a decent squad maybe we could afford a different approach but we don't and we most definitely can't.

But thats the problem Craig, it never will be a priority for a lot of people. If we get promoted then survival will be our priority and the years will pass by and still no trophy and we will be no different in approach to the game than the Boltons of this world. This club has a great cup tradition and thats the way it should continue. Besides it didnt do Burnley much harm last season

Strongest line up every time for me for the reasons stated in my earlier post

But thats the problem Craig, it never will be a priority for a lot of people. If we get promoted then survival will be our priority and the years will pass by and still no trophy and we will be no different in approach to the game than the Boltons of this world. This club has a great cup tradition and thats the way it should continue. Besides it didnt do Burnley much harm last season

No doubt. We said the same "play it safe" shit last year and got relegated for our trouble.

Why not give a match, any match be it Carling or Coke, our best effort at this point? Can't help but to think if we get past Pete it'd be a lift emotionally, y'know? God forbid if we managed to upset a Fulham or an Everton...

I'm all for giving every game your best shot - but only when you have a squad that can allow you to have that mindset. Say we play our strongest team against Peterborough and Taylor, Nolan & Jonas all suffer long term injuries and we lose anyway. We have absolutely no-one of any stature to replace them and we'lll end up play 2-3 months of league football with totally inexperienced kids all for the sake of one cup game in a competition we're not going to win anyway...

Fot the Peterborough game we HAVE to go with resting some of the first team players and if we get through, great! If Hughton sticks out a full strength team he's a fucking idiot!

But pud, we haven't been "competition" as you put it many years, but you can still enjoy each match as it happens.

The big difference is there are some on this board who seemed to have lost reality with the game of football. For me it's about the build up to matchday, the match, the phone ins etc.

Why worry. I mean really, what is the point. All these cups and games and Injuries will happen regardless and all we can do is enjoy the ride match by match.

We haven't won a domestic cup in my lifetime so getting beat in the cups is nothing new.

The only thing you and some of the doom merchants on here can change is how you feel about the situation. You can either worry and always be concerned with what might happen or take each game as it comes and enjoy your footy.

You talk absolute shite, you know that? :lol:

Probably not many would agree with me but I would go as far as saying that given the choice of promotion or winning the League Cup or FA Cup this season I would go for winning the League Cup or FA Cup.

At the end of the day winning a cup competition is better than scraping around in the lower reaches of the premier league. Thats why I would always play the strongest possible team for all cup competitions.

Probably not many would agree with me but I would go as far as saying that given the choice of promotion or winning the League Cup or FA Cup this season I would go for winning the League Cup or FA Cup.

At the end of the day winning a cup competition is better than scraping around in the lower reaches of the premier league. Thats why I would always play the strongest possible team for all cup competitions.

We've got zero chance of winning a cup though :lol:

Guest Stevie
But pud, we haven't been "competition" as you put it many years, but you can still enjoy each match as it happens.

The big difference is there are some on this board who seemed to have lost reality with the game of football. For me it's about the build up to matchday, the match, the phone ins etc.

Why worry. I mean really, what is the point. All these cups and games and Injuries will happen regardless and all we can do is enjoy the ride match by match.

We haven't won a domestic cup in my lifetime so getting beat in the cups is nothing new.

The only thing you and some of the doom merchants on here can change is how you feel about the situation. You can either worry and always be concerned with what might happen or take each game as it comes and enjoy your footy.

Show me a taxi driver who isn't a wanker, and I'll show you a humble interview with Harry Redknapp.

I remember years ago we played them in the League Cup, after they knocked Liverpool out the same season. From what I can remember we lost and had Justin Fashanu on loan, who got more abuse for being queer off the toon fans than Peterborough.

I'm all for giving every game your best shot - but only when you have a squad that can allow you to have that mindset. Say we play our strongest team against Peterborough and Taylor, Nolan & Jonas all suffer long term injuries and we lose anyway. We have absolutely no-one of any stature to replace them and we'lll end up play 2-3 months of league football with totally inexperienced kids all for the sake of one cup game in a competition we're not going to win anyway...

Fot the Peterborough game we HAVE to go with resting some of the first team players and if we get through, great! If Hughton sticks out a full strength team he's a fucking idiot!

Is the correct answer. Its simply being realistic, we won't win the cup, we'll lose to one of the big 4 or another prem team somewhere down the line, whereas we could be promoted. We have no squad, we have to rest players, and avoid risk of inujuries that will fuck up our whole season.

People are going on about not just wanting to be a Bolton of this world and i get that, but if we don't get promoted we will be stuck in the championship and dreaming of being as good as a Bolton. We have to get back to the prem and the ludicrous millions it provides to get this club off its arse again, whoever may own it at the time.

And i would take promotion back to the prem like a shot over winning the league cup, i'd love a trophy but i'm looking to the future of the club as a whole and it needs to be in the prem and the best shot to get back is in this season and the next, after that theres no parachute payments, and you're stuck in the mire with everybody else down there.

Show me a taxi driver who isn't a wanker, and I'll show you a humble interview with Harry Redknapp.

I remember years ago we played them in the League Cup, after they knocked Liverpool out the same season. From what I can remember we lost and had Justin Fashanu on loan, who got more abuse for being queer off the toon fans than Peterborough.

He was a sub and was getting some banter off the toon fans as he warmed up IIRC, but he got a really good reception when he came on and he spoke well of the toon fans in his very brief stint here in the chronicle or some paper i seem to remember.

Are you trying to be a fucking idiot or does it just come naturally?

Totally agree mate. A cup is tradition and all that, a trip to wembley, splodging in the fountains. :icon_lol::icon_lol::lol:

Promotion is frying pan to fryer territory at the minute. :blush:

Would ideally like both, but given the choice a cup every time.

Think most wiser / older fans would agree with you. :icon_lol:

The football manager generation, :dork: thats a different kettle of fish all together. :icon_lol:

Are you trying to be a fucking idiot or does it just come naturally?

I was trying to have a reasonable debate about it, theres plenty of proper fans of newcastle and other clubs who dont see the premier league as the be all and end all - give me a cup and a day out at wembley any day. I will continue to criticise whenever a weakened team is played in any of the cups

I think your above response shows who the fucking idiot is and by the look of it it comes quite naturally to you

Totally agree mate. A cup is tradition and all that, a trip to wembley, splodging in the fountains. :icon_lol::icon_lol::lol:

The football manager generation, :dork: thats a different kettle of fish all together. :icon_lol:

Yeah, the wise fans want to have our club down on its arse in the second tier of football playing the Plymouths and Doncasters of the world, selling our best players and scraping around away from the big boys of the prem, never looking to get back to playing in europe etc. If this club doesnt get back into the prem it will be a disaster, but apparently that'll be fine as long as we win the least significant cup we could possibly win. The way football is now i wouldn't take the FA cup over promotion nevermind the league cup because long term i want to see NUFC back in the prem, building and looking one day to at least be competing in the upper reaches of the top division.

The only time to take a cup over less tangeable success is i'd want a trphy ahead of qualifying for say the CL or UEFA cup because it has been so long since we won anything, i'd sacrifice playing in the CL to see us lift a trophy. But the league cup over a chance for our club to be proted and build again, not a chance.

Im sorry like and with the greatest of respect but you're mental.

You're argument is based on winning the cup. We're not going to win it. As I said, promotion is the only priority everything is ancillary. Play the kids, if we're in with a shout of progressing to the next rounds bring on seasoned pros to drag us over the line. But it would be entirely suicidal to risk the health of our players for a competition in which we're not competitive. When we're back in the premiership we can take it more seriously. But you're a delusional moron if you'd play your first choice team in the league cup when promotion should be your only focus

"promotion is the only priority" to you, not every fan. A few have already said they would rather win the cup.

All the doom mongers spent last year saying relegation would be the end of the world. It's not and from a football point of view we are going to have an enjoyable season, probably the most enjoyable since sir bobs time.

Lets imagine we survived by a point last season. Firesale would still have taken place and we'd be getting arse raped week in week out.

Promotion, relegation and cups are football. No success is guaranteed and as long as Ashley is in charge there will be no return to any exciting times in the prem.

"promotion is the only priority" to you, not every fan. A few have already said they would rather win the cup.

All the doom mongers spent last year saying relegation would be the end of the world. It's not and from a football point of view we are going to have an enjoyable season, probably the most enjoyable since sir bobs time.

Lets imagine we survived by a point last season. Firesale would still have taken place and we'd be getting arse raped week in week out.

Promotion, relegation and cups are football. No success is guaranteed and as long as Ashley is in charge there will be no return to any exciting times in the prem.

If we survived, even if fat fuck ashley stayed there wouldn't be a firesale because you have so many millions more to play with, and you'd likely have Shearer's plan given to ashley (who to sell, who to keep, who to buy) being followed, how much he'd spend being the only part of that open to debate obviously.

And just as likely he would have looked to sell the club and it would be a prem club he was trying to shift which may well bring out a few more genuine takeovers, or in the case of somebody like Moat, he could takeover easilly because Barclays would sanction the overdraft like a shot for a prem club.

So we wouldn't be getting arse raped every week at all, which didnt even happen last season when we were shit and in chaos and managed by tools like Kinnear, mainly because outside the top 4 the prem is incredibly average at best.

To put it into perspective though, you're saying you would have preferred to win the Milk Cup, Littlewoods cup or whatever the hell the thing was called back in 92/93 than get promoted?

The point is though, winning a cup isn't a remotely realistic aim. I'd much rather win the FA Cup than go up but we aren't going to win the FA Cup. Or the League Cup.

The point is though, winning a cup isn't a remotely realistic aim. I'd much rather win the FA Cup than go up but we aren't going to win the FA Cup. Or the League Cup.

Hell man, we're not even likely to win a fucking egg cup! :lol: