Geordie

JawD

Oh, and one for Stevie, did you know we used to speak Welsh? :D

Did you know that the word 'welsh' is anglo-saxon for 'foreigner'?

I'm no historian but from what i can gather, one of the most poorly understood parts of our history is whether the norman / anglo-saxon invasions influenced the gene pool as much as was thought previously. Modern theories point to genetic research which claims that the influence of the cultures that invaded Britain was predominantly linguistic and cultural and that they did not colonise the country. The North east was of course the site for numerous saxon landings. It makes sense that for the indigenous Britons to survive they would need to adapt the language and customs of their new overlords to survive.

It sometimes easy to forget that the UK and France were the top 2 bits of real estate in Europe. Large coastal areas with highly arable land meant we were the envy of the arid southern states, the barren northern scandanavians and the landlocked and humid east. We were constantly being ransacked and sized up for invasion from the north and east. Those northern and eastern lot (norsemen) settled in northern france (normandy) and then invaded from the south in collusion with their old brethren. I reckon the indigenous Britons were used to this and hence why our langauge assimilated their languages so easily. It was a survival tactic.

The view is consistent with the observation that the genetic influence was minimal, less than 25% of the surviving modern gene pool. That all the ancient Brits were driven into Wales is inconsistent with what we see in our languiage and our genes.

Am rambling here like...

The fabulous Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language (which is a lot better read than it sounds) lists as a Dialect - although one of the most persistent, characteristic and long lived

There are great wodges of Anglo -Saxon & Norse usage still embedded in Geordie and reading something like the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle ("Wulfstan - I Was gutted -gives exclusive interview to Gonnagle ace!" as if it was written in Geordie actually make sit a lot easier to understand

Over the last 200 years its become more the northern version of English rather than the southern version of Scots.

And we're still one of the few places in England that pronounce the "H" at the start of words - like the Queen

But there's no H at the beginning of Queen? :D

Am rambling here like...

But correct.

Genetically we are still mainly "Celtic" - that doesn't mean Irish or anything like that - it refers to the people who populated the Islands after the last Ice Age and as you say haven't been diluted that much by invasion.

The supposed Norse influence on the North East is significant in the North of Scotland and the Isles but less so in England.

It's sort of funny how the BNP have had to "reluctantly" extend their definition of what is okay beyond Anglo-Saxon to include Celtic - considering the genetics make us predominally the latter.

Im actually taking part in the https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/...phic/index.html which, through DNA, should be able to say where you came from. Not so much as who your ancestors were, but where your particular (Y-Chromozone I think?) originated (South Africa for example).

Anyway, The celts were from Europe and populated much of the UK. The Norse, as in Viking influence is strong around North yorkshire but not that much around here, only the odd place.

After the Viking invasion, the north east remained under control of the Angles. Teeside etc and south of the area was Viking (Ormsby, Stokesby, Kirby etc are all viking names). Another thing to note are the use of the words "Burn" and "Beck". Burn is Anglo-Saxon and Beck is viking.

I've always been fascinated by the norsemen; the myths and legends are one thing, but the misunderstandings are another. They were as much farmers and bards as they were rampaging maruaders.

Unfortunately my knowledge is limited, I've never taken the time to read up on them.

I do know that currently, Denmark is exporting semen, so perhaps the expansionist Vikings are at it again, just a little more subtley this time?

Am rambling here like...

But correct.

Genetically we are still mainly "Celtic" - that doesn't mean Irish or anything like that - it refers to the people who populated the Islands after the last Ice Age and as you say haven't been diluted that much by invasion.

The supposed Norse influence on the North East is significant in the North of Scotland and the Isles but less so in England.

It's sort of funny how the BNP have had to "reluctantly" extend their definition of what is okay beyond Anglo-Saxon to include Celtic - considering the genetics make us predominally the latter.

I Think it depends where you are from

Anglo Saxon genes dominate across most of England with some Norse and Celtic - but the further west you go the more Celtic we become

If your second toe is bigger than (or equal to) the length of your big toe Anglo Saxon it is......................

Am rambling here like...

But correct.

I Think it depends where you are from

Anglo Saxon genes dominate across most of England with some Norse and Celtic - but the further west you go the more Celtic we become

If your second toe is bigger than (or equal to) the length of your big toe Anglo Saxon it is......................

Isnt there something about the 'celtic bump' on the back of the head? Or is it gallic? Or maybe Basque?

"You are now fingering the back of your skull" [/derren]

Isnt there something about the 'celtic bump' on the back of the head? Or is it gallic? Or maybe Basque?

bumpy

I've got one, btw

"My French Canadian boyfriend has a little patch of hair at the base of his spine, his Scottish ex-mother-in-law told him that meant he was a descendant of Genghis Khan."

:D

I have this...

bumpy

I've got one, btw

"My French Canadian boyfriend has a little patch of hair at the base of his spine, his Scottish ex-mother-in-law told him that meant he was a descendant of Genghis Khan."

I have this...

Monger :lol:

bumpy

I've got one, btw

I have this...

Mongoloid :lol:

FYP

bumpy

I've got one, btw

I have this...

FYP

I was going to ask your French Canadian b/fs name :lol:

bumpy

I've got one, btw

I have this...

FYP

Pascale, if you're asking.

bumpy

I've got one, btw

I have this...

FYP

Pascale, if you're asking.

Lovely. ;)

bet he thinks your hairy bum spot is divine