The Battle On The River Tyne

Barnacle Brian

battle_on_the_river_tyne_0.jpg

This panoramic was originally commissioned by SONY and the Baltic Center for Contemporary Art in Gateshead, England. We went to Gateshead and Newcastle (Gateshead's more affluent cross river rival) and quickly had some very amusing surface impressions of life in this Northern urban area. Those impressions coupled with events going on at the time (war in Iraq, fears of air terrorism), our amusement at Chav culture in the UK, and the return of the veggie eater monsters from our original London panoramic 3 years earlier formed the basis of this panoramic which revolves around a competition by the two championing robots of Gateshead and Newcastle.

The Battle on the River Tyne

The picture's not really big enough to see clearly.

The Biscuit Factory also has an interesting exhibition on this Autumn. Emma Tooth does portraits of chavs, but painted and framed in a classical way. It's quite an interesting juxtaposition and of course is for sale like everything else in the BF - if you have a few spare grand. Clicky.

Think I'll take up art.

The prices that chick is expecting for those (nothing more than fairly good paintings) are incredible :lol:

I had a picture (bought) framed in a shop in Seaton Deleval the other day and was looking at the paintings for sale. Crikey, the prices were soooo ridiculous for the naff art on show.

Think I'll take up art.

The prices that chick is expecting for those (nothing more than fairly good paintings) are incredible :lol:

I had a picture (bought) framed in a shop in Seaton Deleval the other day and was looking at the paintings for sale. Crikey, the prices were soooo ridiculous for the naff art on show.

Well I'm not sure the web does them justice, in real life they're quite large and technically accomplished. Plus really it's the idea that gives them value. Not saying they're worth upwards of 3 grand like, well, maybe they would be if you were loaded.

Got some good stuff (photography) in the Side Gallery. Obviously they're only (albeit high quality) prints rather than original pieces of art work:

http://shop.amber-online.com/collections/print-sales

I love pics like that. I've seen the bridge ones before and find them utterly fantastic. The other two are just as impressive as a snap shop of Newcastle's history.

Once again, though, the prices appear somewhat over-the-top imo.

Talking of 'art', we had a discussion on here a couple of years ago about modern art and likes/dislikes. One of the topics raised was the 'paper folk' surrounding Haymarket metro. I seem to recall the council vowing to get rid of them aaaaaages ago, yet (unless I am confused) they are still there.

btw, I do like them :lol:

Got some good stuff (photography) in the Side Gallery. Obviously they're only (albeit high quality) prints rather than original pieces of art work:

http://shop.amber-online.com/collections/print-sales

I love pics like that. I've seen the bridge ones before and find them utterly fantastic. The other two are just as impressive as a snap shop of Newcastle's history.

Once again, though, the prices appear somewhat over-the-top imo.

The Edgar Lee ones further down and on the next page are class as well. The ones of the bridge were (iirc) just found in some loft on Tyneside and no one even knows who took them.

like the view of the Side.

I'd want to see that print in the OP up close and personal before I made a judgement, can't really see enough of it on here.

We saw the originals at the Baltic a couple of years ago and they are fab, particularity this one, much better than seeing it on screen, think they where about as tall as me. Makes you feel like a kid again as you to pick all the little funny bits out of a pic :lol:

Not a massive fan of that to be honest Craig, it looks a little mechanic, a little soulless. I think it's because the lines are so crisp and there's no people.

sorry...