Shearer to be Deputy Lieutenant

TheMoog

From the Beeb:

Shearer to be Deputy Lieutenant

Football legend Alan Shearer is to be an official representative of the Queen after being chosen to become Deputy Lieutenant of Northumberland.

The 39-year-old former England captain, ex-Newcastle United striker said it was "a great honour".

The Queen has officially approved the appointment, which he was chosen for by the county's Lord-Lieutenant, the Duchess of Northumberland.

He will be one of 22 deputies in the county.

Other deputies include World Cup winner Jack Charlton, who will retire in May.

'Respected and revered'

Shearer said: "I am delighted to be able to serve the county in this capacity and I look forward to assisting the Duchess of Northumberland in her official duties."

He will also stand in for the Duchess on occasions when she is unable to fulfil her role as the Queen's representative in the region.

The Duchess said: "I would find it difficult to think of anyone else in the region who is so symbolic of all that is great in the North East.

"Alan is respected and revered in the region and I am certain that he will be an excellent Deputy Lieutenant."

Shearer, whose 30 goals for England put him joint fifth in the record scorers' list, has been heralded for his charity work.

A deputy lieutenant must live within the county, or at the most seven miles from the boundary, and usually retains the appointment until the age of 75.