The Guitar Thread

Tom

Ok so my two pedals are coming on the 27th, thanks Santa!*

I'm really looking forward to it, particularly using the multi-head tape delay on the dark side and double tracking it in stereo (L+R) across two amps. It's going to be quite mental.

He's a closer look at the 30ms Double Tracker - it's not really worth listening to without earphones. 

*Me

Had the pleasure of picking up and playing a Musicman JP15 today and it was...profound.

I like a lot of guitars, my list of ones to own or at least try is enormous.

A Petrucci Sig is now at the very top, it was utterly astonishing!

• Like 1

Fucking hell :lol:

Anyway, a short report on the new pedals. 

I initially plugged the Dark Side and 30ms at once, with a stereo setup and whilst this was remarkable I thought I'd be better off going back to basics and learning the Dark Side pedal first - before moving on to the 30ms and then combining them. When I know what I'm doing. 

Tonally - the Dark Side is utterly stunning, the 5 modulation effects sound very Pink Floyd, sometimes they're freakishly exact - that's the actual sound, the tape head delay is particularly fun, especially good for a DSP delay! 

The fuzz pedal is instantly the best I've ever played, there's three options and two tone controls. So you can have Flat, Full or Scoop & you can control those with a filter & a fuzz level. I've never heard such a pure, authentic sound. It carries the notes you play perfectly and accentuates the notes you want to drag out. It just sounds legit, absolutely amazing. The fuzz is analogue, based on a 1977 something or other. It's great for Floyd - but you can easily dial in anything 80s or early 90s.

I'm so happy with the Dark Side, there's work to do on the 30ms - although you can dial in instant Beatles which is cool :lol:

Money well spent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fresh out of my first guitar lesson in 14 years.

We like all the same youtubers! :razz:

Good though, might be able to internally justify that JP by the time I'm back in the UK after all!

Canny :up: 

What did he teach you? Did he do that thing where he makes you shred away for a while whilst he watched for mistakes?

im not sure I could be arsed with a lesson these days :lol: 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Canny :up: 

What did he teach you? Did he do that thing where he makes you shred away for a while whilst he watched for mistakes?

im not sure I could be arsed with a lesson these days :lol: 

Nah, we spent a lot of time talking and just trying things out, figuring out where I am and where I want to go, talked influences, who I want to play like and what I want to be able to do to call these a success.

I'm very stuck in an endless loop of noodling away in pentatonic so I've got a couple of lick/run exercises for the week to get me breaking out of that a little.

Did a bit of a look around (and asked reddit) last night for a free tab editor and was pointed towards...

https://www.soundslice.com/

Since I'm either videoing or hand writing the stuff I come from lessons with I wanted to be able to tab it out, to have a record and help to memorise stuff. Really quite impressed with this, since I remember using powertab when I was a teenager.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Nah, we spent a lot of time talking and just trying things out, figuring out where I am and where I want to go, talked influences, who I want to play like and what I want to be able to do to call these a success.

I'm very stuck in an endless loop of noodling away in pentatonic so I've got a couple of lick/run exercises for the week to get me breaking out of that a little.

Ah sounds decent. It's often the best way of doing things like...you need an outsider looking in! Even if it's just doing scales in a certain way, different patterns etc!

Come to think of it I don't know if I'm stuck in a rut or if I'm not. I might just be hiding it with effects!

My set up the other day was as follows :-

I could operate the Micro Synth separately so the Sub-Octave and square wave can really beef up a riff, especially with the double track pro. 

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've just taken a break from lessons after around 15 months of going weekly. Basically because with work I wasn't getting the time to practice enough between lessons so it wasn't cost effective.

Having done those lessons though, I reckon the (admittedly boring) answer is to learn triads and arpeggios up and down the neck in all the scale positions. Find songs that you like and know the chord progressions for and play through and around the arpeggios for each chord in a certain area of the neck. Then shift to another part of the neck. Pick an old jazz standards if you can be arsed cos the changes will be more interesting/challenging. 

That's basically the old school approach to learning any musical instrument but it absolutely drills into you how to play over chord changes cos you're hitting the chord notes every time.

There's a country player called Guthrie Trapp who plays unbelievably well and he's not the best teacher but he's got a couple of videos up about playing through changes which is basically the above. I'll dig one out and stick it in the next post.

If you go to around 22.5 minutes, he'll play through a Peter Green style blues change. What precedes that is him explaining how he gets to that point basically. He's decent. :lol:

Edited by Gemmill

Ill have a watch tomorrow!

We're starting out with something similar to that approach here. breaking me out of my typical patterns and applying stuff all the way up and down the neck in one key to start with and then moving it out from there once we're both happy.

The guys really sound, hes a lefty which is great because he is even wierder than I am, he plays left handed guitars strung upside down!

So Fenders NAMM stand for the 2019 show has the follow up to the parallel universe series the "Alternate reality" series.

They all look shit except for...

Fuc9uz4BUSa7G6fEbyVcE-650-80.jpg

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

So Fenders NAMM stand for the 2019 show has the follow up to the parallel universe series the "Alternate reality" series.

They all look shit except for...

Fuc9uz4BUSa7G6fEbyVcE-650-80.jpg

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Aye I've just watched the Andertons videos and now want one of those and an acoustasonic. 

Have you had a look at the full demo of the acoustasonic? The opening jam on it is great

They won't make them for the likes of me but I love the concept

On 18/01/2019 at 18:27, Tom said:

:spinwank: 

Ok so the technical specs of this pedal are immense but for £220 they can fuck right off*

*I'll be getting one we all know it.