The F1 2010 thread

Craig

watching the clip again Schumacher was bloody lucky the wall ran out - he could well be in a Hungarian jail facing manslaughter charges or worse

This happened last Sunday as well:

This is why Schumacher's "hard" tactics have no place in motorsport… Particularly open wheel. I think Van Der Drift was lucky to escape from this with a broken ankle!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Hate to say it but Alonso is rattled because it's Hamilton. Also I had a modicum of sympathy until I saw the on board footage from his car - he was absolutely tanking it to try and get in front on the safety car too. He lost this one and he needed to have got over it immediately. The team should be pointing that out to him.

I agree. Alonso hasn't been the same since he let Hamilton get inside his head in 2007.

Alonso and Ferrari have disappointed me since the second race, making too many unforced errors. He has started from the back or near the back at:

Australia (spinning at first corner after hitting Button due to a slow get-away),

Malaysia (getting caught out by the weather in qualifying),

China (jumping the start and serving a drive-through),

Monaco (wrecking the car just before qualifying)

He also seemed to have a sulk on at the Turkish GP earlier this month, and spent 40 laps whinging about something neither him nor his team had any control of on Sunday.

Some of it could be put down to bad luck, but you make your own luck and things like this level out over time.

Alonso needs to get his head back on right, and concentrate on his own performances, not what Hamilton or McLaren are doing. And Ferrari need to get themselves organised to give him a stable platform to work from instead of fanning the flames between him and Hamilton.

More unforced errors / unnecessary risk-taking / temper tantrums / penalties (although a bit harsh) for our Spanish friend again this weekend.

I wonder if he sees a sports psychologist?

Alonso: Critics too harsh on drivers

Fernando Alonso thinks it unfair that Formula 1's top drivers have faced a barrage of criticism for their mistakes this year - because he thinks the intense competition of the season is the real reason why errors are more common.

The Spaniard has been under the spotlight at times this year - following his jump-start in China and crash in Monaco practice – while rivals Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton have also made high-profile blunders in races.

Despite the number of incidents, Alonso thinks it is not right that the drivers have been criticised – because he believes the ultra-close nature of the title battle is putting drivers more on edge than before.

"I think when you have a car that is better than all the rest, your approach or the way you do races is very different," said Alonso in Singapore.

"In terms of driving style, in terms of starts, aggressiveness, the team itself prefers to race much calmer. You don't need to push in terms of performance, so when you have tough competition, everything is on the limit and you risk much more - the team, the drivers, the engineers, everyone.

"So I think it is unfair to say that this year there were more errors for anyone. But it is true that they are more visible as well, because there are six drivers with the possibility to win races.

"If anything happens to any of these six, it is on the first page on the day after. In the past it was only two fighting for the title, so if the fourth or the fifth guy made a mistake it was not a big thing. This year it is."

Sebastian Vettel has also backed up Alonso's claims that the tight nature of the season is making the margins between success and failure much smaller.

Speaking about his own crash in Belgium, and Hamilton's error at Monza, Vettel said: "Obviously, things like that give you a wonderful opportunity to hammer onto a driver. In the last race it was Lewis, in the race before myself.

"Obviously you can say that this was a mistake or so on, but if the suspension would not have broken down then nothing would have happened and no one would have talked about it. In that case, it did break down and it all went wrong for him, so of course it looked not very nice after the race.

"But it is a very tight call from the inside of the car. In the end I think it depends who you are, and your driving style. Some drivers try, others don't. Surely you need to see the risk. Is it possible? Is it not? If it is not possible then you don't try, but sometimes you think it is possible, you try and it doesn't work.

"I can give you my example in Spa. I don't think there was terribly much I did wrong, it just ended up the wrong way. We are all human. We all do mistakes. And if we do them on a Friday nobody cares, and if we do them on a Saturday people care a little bit more. If we do them on Sunday then depending where and when, it is a big thing.

"That is correct, because the race is the time we need to deliver, but we are all human, we all do mistakes – and in the end the quality of the driver is down to his speed and consistency and the amount of calls he makes right."

I hope 'Nando is about to prove me wrong :lol:

not very interesting tho - Singapore looks great at night but the lack of overtaking.... the only good bit was that loon who went past the pit lane with his car clearly on fire - then he had to get an extinguisher poked thru the fence so he could put it out himself

SELF RELIANCE - THE SINGAPORE WAY

not very interesting tho - Singapore looks great at night but the lack of overtaking.... the only good bit was that loon who went past the pit lane with his car clearly on fire - then he had to get an extinguisher poked thru the fence so he could put it out himself

Had your eyes shut when Webber and Kubica were on the screen then did you? :lol:

Had your eyes shut when Webber and Kubica were on the screen then did you? :lol:

apart from everyone hitting the wall at that bend it was a pretty comatose race IMHO

apart from everyone hitting the wall at that bend it was a pretty comatose race IMHO

Your opinion rarely matters. You make no exception here.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait for this to be released - was concerned how they were going to achieve the film considering they're having to use footage that's over 16 years old but if the trailer is anything to go by it's going to be a very powerful film.

as I've said I'll pay up

but they still have to stop in the middle of the race don't they?

Just you being wrong and still not being able to admit it is priceless tbh. ;)

Bunch of fucking puffs moaning about the spray like - I agree the resin on the newly laid surface was a problem but they're fucking professional racing drivers FFS. Hamilton should have been awarded the victory just for saying "lets get on with it". Diabolical that he was on his own.

I take my hat off to Mark Webber as well. Quite how he hasn't punched the shit out of Marko, Horner & Vettel is beyond me - they're more into that jumped up little German shitehawk than Ferrari were with Schumacher all those years ago. Like they were with Irvine in '99, they seem hell bent on the opposition waltzing in and taking the title than let the team mate of boy-wonder walk off with it. Utter cunts.

I've been backing Webber for the title right up until today but I seriously hope Alonso takes it now so Horner can explain to the world how he fucked it up.

Button's dream is dead and will have to get behind Lewis (which of course he will do). Hamilton will only take it now if the other two fuck up at one of the events (always possible).

as I've said I'll pay up

but they still have to stop in the middle of the race don't they?

Just you being wrong and still not being able to admit it is priceless tbh. ;)

am I wrong? Do they stop in the the middle of the race or not??? or is just a McDonald's drive thru????