The F1 2010 thread

Craig

Australian minister criticises Lewis Hamilton

The roads minister of Victoria in Australia has used strong language to criticise Lewis Hamilton after his road car was impounded by Melbourne police.

Minister Tim Pallas made the comment on the day that Victoria launched a new road safety campaign.

The Formula 1 racing driver, who was arrested on Friday, is expected to be charged with improper use of a vehicle.

Mr Hamilton, who was in the country for the Australian Grand Prix, has apologised for his "over-exuberance".

'Nanny state'

Mr Pallas criticised the 25-year-old British racing driver on the day that Victoria launched a Don't Be a Dickhead road safety campaign.

Asked whether Lewis Hamilton met that description, he said: "OK, I'll say it. He's a dickhead."

But Australian driver Mark Webber has defended his fellow competitor, saying his homeland had become a nanny state, with ridiculous parking and speeding rules.

What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it

Lewis Hamilton

Hamilton was arrested hours after he recorded the quickest time in Friday's Australian Grand Prix practice.

His time of 1:26.801 was 0.25 seconds quicker than McLaren team-mate and current world champion Jenson Button.

As Hamilton drove away from the circuit to his team's hotel, police constable Scott Woodford said his rear wheels were skidding as he accelerated.

"Given that Melbourne's on the world stage with a lot of interstate and international visitors, we would expect drivers to observe road rules," he said.

A Victoria police spokesman said the Mercedes was seen to "deliberately lose traction".

McLaren's 2008 Formula 1 world champion admitted: "I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police.

"What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

'Wild side'

It is not the first time Hamilton's driving has put him in trouble with the police. In 2007, his car was impounded in France after he was caught speeding.

Earlier this month, Hamilton insisted there would be no "wild side" to his character emerging following his decision that his father Anthony should no longer manage his career.

"I don't think so," Hamilton remarked at the time. "I am who I am. I don't think anybody has stopped me from being who I wanted to be.

"When I arrived in the sport, I didn't go out and buy a million different cars, I took my time.

"Maybe I might buy one car this year, who knows. But that's not being wild.

"I've still got the same girl, I race for the same team and I've still the same dedication and determination."

:D

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that the race was better because they all had to come in and change their tyres...........

Interesting that you pick up on only one element.... and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't they all come in and change tyres in Bahrain? :D

Interesting that the race was better because they all had to come in and change their tyres...........

Clueless tbh.

Martin Brundle on the Beeb

"The Australian Grand Prix was the 'perfect storm' in many respects; a calamitous wet start, the inevitable safety-car and an early drying track all generating dilemmas over tyre strategy, and incidents galore.

It was one of the great races, there was action wherever you looked, but it did need that set of circumstances to play out so brilliantly.

It was day for gambling, and McLaren rolled the dice twice with markedly different results.

Jenson Button took a risky but ultimately race-winning decision when he pitted first for slick tyres. Later on in the race, Lewis Hamilton was called in for a second stop when he was hustling second-placed Robert Kubica.

One was a driver judgement call on whether the track was dry enough or not, and the other was a team strategy call"

presumaby he hasn't a clue either?

just watching after my £ 5 my lad..............

No-one was "forced" to stop. There's been (and there won't be) no change in the rules so you can count your fiver as good as gone :D

Clueless tbh.

Martin Brundle on the Beeb

"The Australian Grand Prix was the 'perfect storm' in many respects; a calamitous wet start, the inevitable safety-car and an early drying track all generating dilemmas over tyre strategy, and incidents galore.

It was one of the great races, there was action wherever you looked, but it did need that set of circumstances to play out so brilliantly.

It was day for gambling, and McLaren rolled the dice twice with markedly different results.

Jenson Button took a risky but ultimately race-winning decision when he pitted first for slick tyres. Later on in the race, Lewis Hamilton was called in for a second stop when he was hustling second-placed Robert Kubica.

One was a driver judgement call on whether the track was dry enough or not, and the other was a team strategy call"

presumaby he hasn't a clue either?

Don't see Brundle stating it was all down to changing their tyres at all. In fact he's alluding to quite the opposite...

1 stop = Button victory

2 stops = Hamilton in #6 and not happy

stops ARE critical to any form of a decent spectacle dear boy (as I've said before)

Edited by Rob W

1 stop = Button victory

stops ARE critical to any form of a decent spectacle dear boy (as I've said before)

But they don't guarantee it. It's not like there weren't any stops in Bahrain after all.

1 stop = Button victory

No, what you were preaching is that we should implement a mandatory second stop - but yesterday's turn of events proved that we shouldn't.

Nice to see you've stopped referring to Brundle's article where he suggests the weather, the circuit, the tactical ability of Button, Hamilton losing his head, other drivers trying too hard as well as tyre stops.

It's not the number of stops that Button made that won him the race, it was the timing of the stop. In other races this year, it'll be the man who stops more than the others who will prevail.

Your argument in this particular post is divorced from your previous view point. No-one has ever said that stops don't add to the spectacle.

Read an article before that said Button is one of only two drivers on the grid to have won for more than two different teams - the other being Alonso.

Only Schumacher and Barrichello can match that should they win a race this season

stops are stops no matter when they occur - what is the difference between a MANDATORY stop and oen you choose to do to change tires?

Nothing - the car comes in, stops, and goes out again....................... WHy they do it is neither here nor there - the important thing is to break up the chain of cars all following each other with metronomic efficiency

stops are stops no matter when they occur - what is the difference between a MANDATORY stop and oen you choose to do to change tires?

Nothing - the car comes in, stops, and goes out again....................... WHy they do it is neither here nor there - the important thing is to break up the chain of cars all following each other with metronomic efficiency

You're peddling so much shit you're beginning to confuse yourself.

I suggest you go back a few pages and start reading it all again - either that or you're deliberately contradicting yourself.

I said you need to introduce stops to make it interesting - you said bollocks

they had to stop on Sunday and it was a bit more interesting - case proved :D:icon_lol::angry:

PS I thought I'd dig out wor kids scalextric, pour some sand on the floor and BINGO! Bahrein GP right in me own living room..............

No you mongaloid, I said bollocks to your ridiculous suggestion of an enforced stop.

If they'd stopped 100 times in Bahrain it wouldn't have been any more interesting. Takes more than one individual element to make the show.

yawn... "enforced" stop or not its stops that make the difference....

PS I can't wait for the Tour de Drugs and the Peoples Paula to come back into view so I can wind up afew more of the great unwashed

yawn... "enforced" stop or not its stops that make the difference....

PS I can't wait for the Tour de Drugs and the Peoples Paula to come back into view so I can wind up afew more of the great unwashed

Like I said previously, pit-stops are part of the show but they're not the deciding factor.

Good of you to finally admit you know fuck all about it and you're on the wind up btw :D

I've watched way back - so long ago I can remember when it was interesting........... Jim Clark's era and before

My Grandad rememebered watching Nuvolari. Still knew fuck all about the mechanics of the sport mind you... :D

• 2 weeks later...