Chinese execute Brit

Rob W

If I may digress on drugs generally...

The Chinese have adopted one (but in my view the worse) of the two viable options. We prevaricate between them and so achieve nothing.

Option 1 - you have a genuine "war on drugs" which means you crack down on possession and use. There's no point just going after dealers, so long as the market's there and the profits are astronomical, new dealers will come forward to take the place of those you lock up. So what's necessary is to make the use of drugs prohibitively risky - it's too late to engender a culture of intolerance, too much of the population thinks drugs are ok. So you apply serious, meaningful criminal sanctions to the possession and use of drugs - and you cope with the backlash when the Mail complains about Tarquin and Jocasta getting a criminal record for doing a couple of E's at a party. You have to remove the market.

Option 2 - you legalise, regulate, and tax it. You control quality of supply so ameliorating health consequences, you regulate the supply to addicts, and you cut the price dramatically so that the incentive for the majority of our property-related crime is removed. You treat problem use as a medical rather than criminal issue. Side by side with this you have really draconian punishments for crimes committed under the influence, and for unauthorised supply. So for example minimum 15 years for dealing to kids.

I don't think anyone has the political will for either of these so we will continue to have a drugs culture which is generally accepted by society but also illegal, leading to all the associated crime associated with the supply and funding of use.

Option 2 is certainly a popular and idealistic solution. The problem with it is that you're effectively legitimising the murderous organisations in Columbia etc that produce the junk. I suppose you could get round that by growing it over here, but that would require enormous funding to the drug industry to reach demand levels.

Even if you control the quality of supply, there is a wealth of research showing the mental and physical effects of cocaine, cannabis and opiates.

I think the biggest barrier to it is that no-one is going to vote for a system that potentially makes it easier for their kids to get their hands on coke.

As if there was even any suggestion of my comment being serious, it came complete with the safety wink!

Aye sorry mate, I went in like a bull in a chinashop with my reply - Should have noted the wink. I consider myself wooshed :icon_lol:

Some good points made on this thread.

What sort of drugs was he dealing in? You would think the cufflinks would be pleased to have some drugs the miserable cunts.

China is not the place to be caught with 4k of H.

nor are Saudi, Singapore or Malaysia for that matter - all will cheerfully execute you if you are carrying any serious amount of drugs............