XBOX Connecting to Wireless Network

wykikitoon

Have you looked into getting a set of homeplugs? Basically you plug one of them into the mains by your router and run an ethernet cable from the router to the homeplug, and then plug the second one into the mains next to your xbox and run another ethernet cable from the homeplug to the Xbox. So that means you are still, technically, 'wired', but you don't have to run a long wire from your router to the xbox and can have the xbox further away from the router.

I've added the MSN from your profile. We could try and set up a remote assistance session so that I can view your screen and set up your router to work properly with XBL.

The bit I dodnt understand on that page is

nter the ip address you want to forward these ports to in Send to LAN Server

What IP do I put in?

See on the router page on the left, click on attached devices. You will see your computer name, and next to it will be the IP you have to enter on that page. :icon_lol:

Edited by Besty

Right, Im going to give the fucker one last go tonight.

On closer looking its NOT connecting.

The wireless thingy I plug into the back of my XBOX has a light on it. Looking at the XBOX guide its red and therefore fubar. But it wasnt Fubar a few weeks back. Surly if it was Fubar too, it wouldnt pick up any networks when I scan for it.

Fucking wank tbh

Followed this and it worked

After dredging through endless amounts of information about this problem, I discovered Malkeor's comments and just to save anyone else from the same fate, he's absolutely right so many thanks to him.

For those who are maybe a bit less expert than normal on all things router, it's not actually that difficult to set up.

You must download firmware 1.6.01.34 for the DG834G v5(http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12760)

Then retrieve your xbox MAC address (http://kb.wayne.edu/index.php?article=450)

Access your router admin panel. Look for Lan IP in the left hand navigation and select. You can then reserve an IP from the range available for your xbox MAC address.

On your Xbox go to your network settings and make sure you entered all your basic info correctly (SSID, WEP or WPA etc.) Let the xbox automatically find the rest of the settings and it will connect. At least it worked for me.

Once again, so grateful to Malkeor as otherwise I'd still be stuck.

Edited by wykikitoon

As someone in this thread mentioned homeplugs, I used the 200mbps versions of these Netgear Home Plugs as I find that the wireless connection can be a bit slow sometimes when you're on XBL. It's probably partly down to the fact my Xbox spent most of it's life (until recently) in the conservatory at the other side of the house.

Still - this is a canny price for the 85mbps versions. Incidentally, the 85mbps versions would be more than fine for XBL and streaming.