Connecting and using the Internet.....

LeazesMag

without a phone line.

Do you use a dongle and a mobile ? How ? Will any phone that has a bluetooth facility do the job, or does anybody have good recommendations on the setup of this ?

I have used a desktop PC for years and don't like laptops

Sorry guv but what exactly are you trying to do?

Are you meaning out and about with a laptop (which you say you dont like) or connecting your home PC to a mobile phone to connect?

If its the latter then I used to use the iPhone as a backup connection for any times there were problems with my home one, that required a wifi connection though so needed there to be a router. Once it was setup though (by creating a VPN (Virtual Private Network)) it was straight forward, merely connected as you would normally and although not as fast as the main connection it was still more than adequate.

To connect by Bluetooth you'd need a bluetooth connection on the PC which I think Ive had about 3 dongles for in the past and not found one that works!

The Mobile dongles you can buy for connection dont require a seperate phone, they have a SIM card in them which is used merely for data. You either have a contract or use a PAYG version, I use an O2 one when Im away and its about £2 for 24 hours connecting and a £5 for a week, does the job for whiling away the hours in a hotel room somewhere but I wouldnt like to use them for anything more than that.

Sorry guv but what exactly are you trying to do?

Are you meaning out and about with a laptop (which you say you dont like) or connecting your home PC to a mobile phone to connect?

If its the latter then I used to use the iPhone as a backup connection for any times there were problems with my home one, that required a wifi connection though so needed there to be a router. Once it was setup though (by creating a VPN (Virtual Private Network)) it was straight forward, merely connected as you would normally and although not as fast as the main connection it was still more than adequate.

To connect by Bluetooth you'd need a bluetooth connection on the PC which I think Ive had about 3 dongles for in the past and not found one that works!

The Mobile dongles you can buy for connection dont require a seperate phone, they have a SIM card in them which is used merely for data. You either have a contract or use a PAYG version, I use an O2 one when Im away and its about £2 for 24 hours connecting and a £5 for a week, does the job for whiling away the hours in a hotel room somewhere but I wouldnt like to use them for anything more than that.

basically, in the house I use a single thompson modem connected to the phone line which is in the spare bedroom.

However, if you are away for a while, and don't have a phone line, how can I take the PC and connect it ? I don't want to buy a laptop because I don't like them.

Do you use dongles, or can I buy a router or something ?

Not having a laptop, how do people use them on trains to connect to the internet ? Am I thinking along the wrong lines here ?

Dongle, but like I say they're expensive if you're using daily. Cheap enough to get hold of and a piece of piss to use (plug n play).

You're not thinking of taking your PC on the train are you? :lol:

haha, no. I was thinking of the technique of getting a laptop working, and thinking it may be similar.

If dongles are expensive to use, then I may have to pay for a phone line. Trouble is, if you are just going to use it for the internet, and use your mobile for all your calls, its a hell of an expense.

• 2 weeks later...

further to this.....

How do you cancel an isp and change to something else ie from orange/freeserve to o2 for instance ?

I haven't installed a connection since my freeserve one [now orange] for a few years and I used a disc, which deteced my thompson speedtouch modem no problem and that was more or less it.

Does anybody use o2 broadband, and what is it like, as this is my mobile and I could combine the 2 ?

O2 were spot on when I was with them and as soon as this fucking BT contract is up Im going to change back to them. Because you have a mobile with them its cheaper for the broadband, Im pretty sure it was £7.50p/m for unlimited service a year ago.

As long as you've been with them for more than the contract then its a piece of piss, simply give them a ring to cancel, installing the new connection will be as simple as the last one.

As pp says o2 are brilliant. Great (English based) call centres as well not like oranges Indian rubbish.

You'll get a brand new disc and wireless modem.

I think you will also need to ask orange for a PAC code, but if you ring the lovely o2 call centre they will tell you.

Buy British :-)

It's a MAC code you want. Get it from your existing ISP and give it to your new one and they'll arrange a switchover date.

whats a MAC code ? Will it effect my internet connectivity [shush, I don't have a valid keycode, or I use a windows 98 one....]

O2 were spot on when I was with them and as soon as this fucking BT contract is up Im going to change back to them. Because you have a mobile with them its cheaper for the broadband, Im pretty sure it was £7.50p/m for unlimited service a year ago.

As long as you've been with them for more than the contract then its a piece of piss, simply give them a ring to cancel, installing the new connection will be as simple as the last one.

thats good. I'm paying 15 quid a month for the mobile, so I'd be well pleased to get the 2 of these for around 25 quid or whatever.

Your ISP will provide you with a MAC code when you request to be disconnected, they'll most likely post it out to you. All you have to do is give it to your new ISP.

It won't affect your computer or OS at all so don't worry about your dodgy software.

Your ISP will provide you with a MAC code when you request to be disconnected, they'll most likely post it out to you. All you have to do is give it to your new ISP.

It won't affect your computer or OS at all so don't worry about your dodgy software.

not THAT dodgy.........its an original windows98 number I just borrowed an XP upgrade and it allowed the same number.

Thanks for the info everybody