What do you THINK will happen this summer?

Deano

Keane and Benayoun as possibilities? Both might not be too expensive given their age and position with their clubs and would be a big improvement for us. Wages might be a problem though.

Hutton 5mil, O'Hara 4mil and Keane 5mil...3 good moves to fit into the start 11 in the positions needed.

Ironic really that all 3 would come from the team who we were closest to before relegation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it wouldnt need to be someone lightning fast though pace is always helpful

it needs to be someone intelligent, who knows when to run and where rather than someone who just runs (ala martins)

reckon we should go for fletcher from burnley tbh

Looks a decent player every time i've seen him.

Keane and Benayoun as possibilities? Both might not be too expensive given their age and position with their clubs and would be a big improvement for us. Wages might be a problem though.

Hutton 5mil, O'Hara 4mil and Keane 5mil...3 good moves to fit into the start 11 in the positions needed.

Ironic really that all 3 would come from the team who we were closest to before relegation.

Hutton would work and ohara would too

keane and benayoun will both be 30 before the start of next season and looking for big wages, no chance

Obviously all aspects of the side are important but I'd argue the back four last season was as good as ones we've had that qualified for the Champions League. The massive problem was the lack of quality ahead of that.

it needs to be someone intelligent, who knows when to run and where rather than someone who just runs (ala martins)

Yeah movement.

Pace and movement...intelligent footballing brain is what we need.

Keane would be a decent option.

they picked him up for 3mil, could be available for less than 5 following a relegation and kilbys tendencies to sell off the best assets

Obviously all aspects of the side are important but I'd argue the back four last season was as good as ones we've had that qualified for the Champions League. The massive problem was the lack of quality ahead of that.

it was regularly said that that was our problem last season

the defence was solid, especially when we had given on goal too but theres only so much a defence can do when the midfield cannot hold possesion to relieve pressure, all that ever happened was nicky butt got it and lost it and then there was more pressure on the back four

Agreed.

Beye---Taylor--Bassong---Enrique was a good back four and like you said the lack of fight and ability to keep the ball in midfield was more the problem.

Although the lads we have now may not be of THAT standard, what we have now that we didnt then is the willingness to fight for each other. Which i think will serve us well in the PL.

I honestly think we are going into the PL in a better state that what we left it.

they picked him up for 3mil, could be available for less than 5 following a relegation and kilbys tendencies to sell off the best assets

Not exactly pushing Rooney for top goalscorer is he? We need goals.

it was regularly said that that was our problem last season

the defence was solid, especially when we had given on goal too but theres only so much a defence can do when the midfield cannot hold possesion to relieve pressure, all that ever happened was nicky butt got it and lost it and then there was more pressure on the back four

I put alot of the blame firmly on that fuckers shoulders tbh.

All those needless freekicks outside our box, all those times he lost posession cheaply....fuckin hate him tbh.

Not exactly pushing Rooney for top goalscorer is he? We need goals.

scored a quarter of burnleys goals this season, pretty solid ratio tbh considering how poor they've played a lot of the time

if yo ureckon we can get someone to push rooney though...

So you want us to sign someone who is pushing the top scorer in the league? <_<

Fletcher has around one in three record for a woeful team and it's his first season in the premiership. . At the moment we would be lucky for that. Players who are guaranteed to score 15+ a season cost a hell of a lot of money, we won't be spending a hell of a lot of money.

Fletcher has around one in three record for a woeful team and it's his first season in the premiership. . At the moment we would be lucky for that. Players who are guaranteed to score 15+ a season cost a hell of a lot of money, we won't be spending a hell of a lot of money.

Well I'd love us to be signing someone who is pushing for top scorrer but I'm fully aware that won't happen. But I think we need to look for better than Fletcher since we're going to be no great shakes either so I wouldn't expect us to be laying them on a plate for him.

I agree 15+ goal scorer will cost a hell of a lot (something I've already said) but that's what we need imo if we're going to move away from the threat of relegation.

Well I'd love us to be signing someone who is pushing for top scorrer but I'm fully aware that won't happen. But I think we need to look for better than Fletcher since we're going to be no great shakes either so I wouldn't expect us to be laying them on a plate for him.

I agree 15+ goal scorer will cost a hell of a lot (something I've already said) but that's what we need imo if we're going to move away from the threat of relegation.

Agree about a goalscorer. Whilst we all know we need the midfield overhauling you need a proven scorer to compete and at the moment we don't have that.

Shola has proven he isn't good enough in the prem and his injury record is pretty poor

Carroll and Ranger are totally unproven at prem level

Best is unproven at championship level!

Lovenkrands will be a good player to have in the squad i think but we should have somebody better as first choice

So we're pinning our hopes on unproven players stepping straight up to premiership standard if we don't buy somebody, and that will cost serious money.

Agree about a goalscorer. Whilst we all know we need the midfield overhauling you need a proven scorer to compete and at the moment we don't have that.

Shola has proven he isn't good enough in the prem and his injury record is pretty poor

Lovenkrands will be a good player to have in the squad i think but we should have somebody better as first choice

So we're pinning our hopes on unproven players stepping straight up to premiership standard if we don't buy somebody, and that will cost serious money.

Very true. Although Carroll didn't do too badly on a few occasions last season when he had the chance.

£20m net spend, Butt and Pancrate out and one player we want to keep who we can get a price for, probably Ranger.

4 players in, one right back, 2 midfielders and a striker. The Taylor/Carroll situation introduces a bit of uncertainty. If we keep them both, then we wont need a new CB.

Whether its enough depends on whether Hughton is good enough. As i have pointed out before, the current midfield has more quality in it than many of the midfield line-ups we used last season.

This is probably the most likely outcome.

We need at least one central midfielder with a bit of creativity. A goal scorrer to play alongside Carroll (assuming he's not locked up) and a new rightback. These are to go straight into the starting eleven. We also need cover at leftback and for the wings. This is all assuming none of our first choice current players are sold.

I'm not confident any of this will happen though with the fat fuck in charge which I think will continue as no one will pay him what he wants for us.

Pretty much what i said.

I think should we get a minimum of 4 in, in key areas RB, CM and CF then we will stay up comfortably as our current lot are like it has been said on a par with about 6 sides in the PL currently.

With the additions, if sensible and of sufficient quality i see us finishing arounf 13th which tbf would be good going.

Hughton deserves a shot in the PL, has one more year on his contract which probably works out well...Keep the stability and continuity going, give CH what he deserves, get a good PL finish THEN look for a new manager to take us forward.

<_<

Edited by Christmas Tree

Very true. Although Carroll didn't do too badly on a few occasions last season when he had the chance.

I'm definitely somebody who thinks Carroll has a chance of making it, not a world beater but a good target man for our new signing (hopefully!) to play off and chip in with some goals himself. But i wouldn't want to be pinning my hopes of him to be the main man and it wouldn't be fair on him to be stuck with that either.

I'm definitely somebody who thinks Carroll has a chance of making it, not a world beater but a good target man for our new signing (hopefully!) to play off and chip in with some goals himself. But i wouldn't want to be pinning my hopes of him to be the main man and it wouldn't be fair on him to be stuck with that either.

Definitely, I don't see him ever being a massive goal scorer even if he does continue to progress.

Shola has scored goals in the PL but we should be aiming for better than him...Squad Player at most.

Carroll showed he is physically capable in the PL and has improved. Will go into the PL a better player...Starter.

Lovenkrands will do ok with Carroll but ideally would be 2nd choice...Squad player.

Ranger imho looks wank...Loan him out

Best IS wank....fuckin get rid.

If we got one striker in, one who would walk straight into the starting 11...id be ok with Shola and Lovenkrands as backup for next season. Season after id imagine Shola and Lovenkrands to be gone.