Wembley

Guest Barrack Road

Guest Barrack Road

Last Saturday I was at the play off final between Cardiff and Blackpool. Second time I've been at New Wembley, and this time it was even better. I managed to get in Club Wembley, now don't get me wrong the standard concourses are fantastic, but Club Wembley and it's facilities are better than somewhere like the Copthorne Hotel.

I had a ticket for the Blackpool end, but I left it at home in South East London, it was about 130 in the afternoon so I didn't have enough time to go back and get it. So I thought fuck it. Walked up Wembley Way, and came up with a brain wave, I thought I've paid £36 so I'm going to watch this game by hook or crook. So I thought why not blag in to Club Wembley, if I'm going to blag in it might as well be the best. Went to the entrance, explained to some black guy checking tickets, I'd lost my wallet with my Club Wembley ticket in. He ushered me through to the reception, and they said I'd need to go back out and down the stairs to the Club Wembley ticket office.

So I'm stood by this booth, and I came up with an intricate plan. My brother in law used to work for a large international investment bank who I knew had a box in CW, and I thought I'd have a go at blagging in as I was dressed smartly. So I said to the girl yeah I had a ticket for their box, and it's gone with my wallet. Got a shit response off her, and she said I'll get the manager. In the meantime I'm surrounded by a few pissed off businessmen in suits all angry because their corporate tickets had been fucked up, "I've spent 10k on this boyo for 15 tickets and they say there's only 13, and I have 2 clients waitin for to get, its a right royaaaaal furk up". By this time the manager come, he said yeah we've rang the box and there do seem to be a few people missing, so he fuckin only prints this ticket off, next thing its in my hand, I walk in, three escalators later, I'm walking in to this fucking box. It was unbelievable. As soon as I walk in all these posh cunts in suit clock me. This big fucka in a voice like that bloke off Through The Keyhole, holds his hands out to shake mine "hiiiiiiiiiiiiii Jack Sawyer Hong Kong investments which branch are you with?".

The next three hours was free drink, free food, unbelievable food, the boxes have two fuckin chefs to make you anything you want to eat, it really was amazing. Dominating the room was this huge black marble table like the biggest dining table you've ever seen, huge plasma tellies on the walls, really quite dark and cool, it was unbelievably good. Half the cunts made me feel about as welcome as a fart in an astronaut suit, but the rest were sound, there was a normal lad there who got lucky Blackpool fan and his brother worked for the company, then you go out on to the balcony, a few rows of seats then you have normal club wembley in front.

The point is I blagged all that, and I've seen Wembley from two sides now, one a few years ago, in the normal population end, and now in a corporate box, and I have to say it cost a lot of money, but Wembley is utterly class, it's the best thing we've built in this country in my life time. People who have been and say it's nothing special are miserable twats, it cost a lot of money but it's a brilliant monument of English football, we should be proud of it, it's just a shame with so much going for it they can't fix the pitch, but I can't wait to see Newcastle play there, the atmosphere when you';re in the middle echos right round the stadium, really good experience being there.

boximage.jpg

That's what it's like.

wembley_box_200.jpg

Class Stevie.

My only problems with it are (i) They need to sort the pitch out, which is going to be difficult whilst they have so many different events on it to pay it off. And, (ii) For £875m or whatever it cost I'd expect a fully retractable roof like Cardiff has, and their's only cost £90m.

Last Saturday I was at the play off final between Cardiff and Blackpool. Second time I've been at New Wembley, and this time it was even better. I managed to get in Club Wembley, now don't get me wrong the standard concourses are fantastic, but Club Wembley and it's facilities are better than somewhere like the Copthorne Hotel.

I had a ticket for the Blackpool end, but I left it at home in South East London, it was about 130 in the afternoon so I didn't have enough time to go back and get it. So I thought fuck it. Walked up Wembley Way, and came up with a brain wave, I thought I've paid £36 so I'm going to watch this game by hook or crook. So I thought why not blag in to Club Wembley, if I'm going to blag in it might as well be the best. Went to the entrance, explained to some black guy checking tickets, I'd lost my wallet with my Club Wembley ticket in. He ushered me through to the reception, and they said I'd need to go back out and down the stairs to the Club Wembley ticket office.

So I'm stood by this booth, and I came up with an intricate plan. My brother in law used to work for a large international investment bank who I knew had a box in CW, and I thought I'd have a go at blagging in as I was dressed smartly. So I said to the girl yeah I had a ticket for their box, and it's gone with my wallet. Got a shit response off her, and she said I'll get the manager. In the meantime I'm surrounded by a few pissed off businessmen in suits all angry because their corporate tickets had been fucked up, "I've spent 10k on this boyo for 15 tickets and they say there's only 13, and I have 2 clients waitin for to get, its a right royaaaaal furk up". By this time the manager come, he said yeah we've rang the box and there do seem to be a few people missing, so he fuckin only prints this ticket off, next thing its in my hand, I walk in, three escalators later, I'm walking in to this fucking box. It was unbelievable. As soon as I walk in all these posh cunts in suit clock me. This big fucka in a voice like that bloke off Through The Keyhole, holds his hands out to shake mine "hiiiiiiiiiiiiii Jack Sawyer Hong Kong investments which branch are you with?".

The next three hours was free drink, free food, unbelievable food, the boxes have two fuckin chefs to make you anything you want to eat, it really was amazing. Dominating the room was this huge black marble table like the biggest dining table you've ever seen, huge plasma tellies on the walls, really quite dark and cool, it was unbelievably good. Half the cunts made me feel about as welcome as a fart in an astronaut suit, but the rest were sound, there was a normal lad there who got lucky Blackpool fan and his brother worked for the company, then you go out on to the balcony, a few rows of seats then you have normal club wembley in front.

The point is I blagged all that, and I've seen Wembley from two sides now, one a few years ago, in the normal population end, and now in a corporate box, and I have to say it cost a lot of money, but Wembley is utterly class, it's the best thing we've built in this country in my life time. People who have been and say it's nothing special are miserable twats, it cost a lot of money but it's a brilliant monument of English football, we should be proud of it, it's just a shame with so much going for it they can't fix the pitch, but I can't wait to see Newcastle play there, the atmosphere when you';re in the middle echos right round the stadium, really good experience being there.

boximage.jpg

That's what it's like.

wembley_box_200.jpg

To think you seethe at people that live south of the water.

Seems you're from an entirely different hemisphere

Some people's hypocrisy knows no bounds tbh

Class Stevie.

My only problems with it are (i) They need to sort the pitch out, which is going to be difficult whilst they have so many different events on it to pay it off. And, (ii) For £875m or whatever it cost I'd expect a fully retractable roof like Cardiff has, and their's only cost £90m.

Yes this is some of my problem with the new Wemberlee. I take Barrack's testimony, good story and yes it looks and sounds fantastic. But the price differential between there and Cardiff is staggering. I realise Dr Ken isn't being precise with his figures but its something similar. And...................to help cover costs every FA semi is played there whether or not its remotely neutral and every England international - its an England team , not London or South east or whatever. And the corporate area is disproportionately big, what is it 15,000 strong or something? Maybe , I'm a miserable twat but they could have built a bigger capacity stadium in the midlands or the north for far less dosh, bigger capacity and a smaller corporate area.

A lot of words from me to say, yeah I'm sure its great but....................................

Class Stevie.

Yes this is some of my problem with the new Wemberlee. I take Barrack's testimony, good story and yes it looks and sounds fantastic. But the price differential between there and Cardiff is staggering. I realise Dr Ken isn't being precise with his figures but its something similar. And...................to help cover costs every FA semi is played there whether or not its remotely neutral and every England international - its an England team , not London or South east or whatever. And the corporate area is disproportionately big, what is it 15,000 strong or something? Maybe , I'm a miserable twat but they could have built a bigger capacity stadium in the midlands or the north for far less dosh, bigger capacity and a smaller corporate area.

A lot of words from me to say, yeah I'm sure its great but....................................

Wiki says the Millennium was £121m, Wembley was £798m.

boximage.jpg

That's what it's like.

wembley_box_200.jpg

Well done on getting in, Stevie.

Next time we get to Wembley I'll give 'Club Wembley' some serious consideration. Sounds fab. And the bloke from the Hong Kong branch? Can't wait to hear his patter.

Percy gets it right. Far too expensive, too many corporates, too many games to pay it off. (I'll not even bother complaining about the fact that England only play there, good luck to England but they don't represent all of the country, only London and the South-East).

Yours,

A miserable twat.

• 1 year later...

Hosting the Champions League Final again in 2013, under the guise of it's the FA's 150th birthday, fuck all to do with the fact it generated £10m more than any European final in history then.

Hosting the Champions League Final again in 2013, under the guise of it's the FA's 150th birthday, fuck all to do with the fact it generated £10m more than any European final in history then.

On a Saturday as well as this year?? I just hope it being the FA's 150th, they [the FA] support their premier cup competition and have their final on a Saturday.

EDIT: with no league games the same day I meant to add!!

Edited by snakehips

While I've been to Wembley a few times since the rebuild and only work about 7 miles from it, it does still nark me that the national stadium had to be in London.

IMO they should have built it somewhere in the M1 / M6 / M42 triangle.

On a similar, recent note has anyone seen all the press about the BBC flogging Television Centre and fucking off up to Manchester? Londoners are foaming at the mouth at the prospect that the BBC's headquarters will no longer be in London. ;)

While I've been to Wembley a few times since the rebuild and only work about 7 miles from it, it does still nark me that the national stadium had to be in London.

IMO they should have built it somewhere in the M1 / M6 / M42 triangle.

On a similar, recent note has anyone seen all the press about the BBC flogging Television Centre and fucking off up to Manchester? Londoners are foaming at the mouth at the prospect that the BBC's headquarters will no longer be in London. :)

Yeah, they're moving many departments to a massive purpose-built media village in Salford. Some of the fivelive and Breakfast News presenters are leaving because they don't want to up sticks. As long as Susannah Reid is still on, that's fine by me ;)

• 6 months later...
Class Stevie.

Clearly a geordie geordie, with Northern views, I obviously don't know him but anyone with these values will be missed in the community, it's made sadder by the fact he's only 50.