Who's going to win the World Cup?

Guest Barrack Road

WHO  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gordon McKeag

Before a ball was kicked I said Spain, they should win it on paper, but the force is with Germany.

Guest alex
Right lets start this thread now, and look back on July 12th with the worst hangovers, ever and in my opinion the biggest smiles. I was discussing this last night with a mate, "we can't win the World Cup", me "why not?", cos "we're England!" and that for me sums up the defeatist attitude of mugs in this country. If everyone thinks we'll fuck it up, we will.

Here's why I think we'll win it though.

• First World Cup in our life time where the majority of games will be played in a coolish climate
  • Because it's cool we can play our naturally high tempo game which NO FUCKA can live with when it clicks#
  • We have the best manager in the world
  • He thinks we'll win it, in fact I read Lord Triesman is quoted as saying we've already won it in Fabio's head
  • There's no wanky World Cup songs
  • We have Rooney
  • We have Gerrard
  • We have Lampard
  • We have Rio
  • We have Ashley Cole
  • Torres won't be fit till half way through
  • We have a piss easy path to the Semi Finals
  • It's being played in a British Colony
  • All the Africans will support us when they get knocked out in the stands
  • Brazil are wank
  • Argentina are wank
  • Holland's defence is shit
  • Spain have never won the World Cup
  • Spain were defending European Champions in 1966....who won the World Cup.

I'm a dreamer always have been especially about football, and I'm building myself up here to be shot down in flames, but in my realistic heart of hearts, I believe ENGLAND will win the World Cup.

Everyone throw their hat in to the ring here.

Aye, definitely tipping Spain to win it there like.

Guest Gordon McKeag
Spain, theyre the best by miles

In principle I'd agree, but this is a side not so long ago humped by USA in a competitive game. I still think they're bottlers when it comes down to it. That said they're the most likely winners with a realistic head on.

Guest Gordon McKeag

From Forest Hall calling people doilums, it's quite clear I thought Spain would go all the way.

stevie's blind optimism regarding england was laughable. it was obvious that we wouldn't better previous performances. got to say though that i was surprised at just how shit we were.

funny looking back in this thread that i was one of the few to tip the germans. no one ever fancies them before the tournament starts but they always have to be among the favourites because they almost always make at least the semis. even when they look ordinary, they've got the belief and the winning mentality that the likes of england lack.

Guest alex
stevie's blind optimism regarding england was laughable. it was obvious that we wouldn't better previous performances. got to say though that i was surprised at just how shit we were.

funny looking back in this thread that i was one of the few to tip the germans. no one ever fancies them before the tournament starts but they always have to be among the favourites because they almost always make at least the semis. even when they look ordinary, they've got the belief and the winning mentality that the likes of england lack.

Think I mentioned it but it was on the radio saying that the last time they failed to reach the quarter final stage was 1938.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Do you want a medal? Why have you got an irrational dislike of capital letters?

Do you want a medal? Why have you got an irrational dislike of capital letters?

yes please, a nice shiny gold medal with 'dan is always right' engraved on it would be super.

seriously though, until they start consistently under-achieving (like england) instead of regularly over-achieving, the germans always have to be among the favourites. they're never far off.

i don't dislike capital letters, it's just quicker to type without them and i'm lazy

Edited by Dr Gloom

If it was so laughable, where were all the posts arguing against his position? I had no idea if we could win it but i was hoping beyond all hope that we might do well. Whats wrong with that?

Whats the world come to when a genuine fan cant get genuinely over-optimistic and genuinely over-excited ahead of a big tournament? To turn round now and laugh at that optimism seems churlish to say the least. If there is no belief, however slim, theres no point turning up or watching it really.

If it was so laughable, where were all the posts arguing against his position? I had no idea if we could win it but i was hoping beyond all hope that we might do well. Whats wrong with that?

Whats the world come to when a genuine fan cant get genuinely over-optimistic and genuinely over-excited ahead of a big tournament? To turn round now and laugh at that optimism seems churlish to say the least. If there is no belief, however slim, theres no point turning up or watching it really.

re-read the the thread and you'll find a post from me predicting another england failure and stevie replying by saying, i quote, "fuck off you miserable cunt"

Guest Gordon McKeag

Exactly. Deluded happy optimisim is a better frame of mind to be in than defeatist methodical realism.

re-read the the thread and you'll find a post from me predicting another england failure and stevie replying by saying, i quote, "fuck off you miserable cunt"

Nah, am not re=reading anything, what round did you predict?

Guest alex
He makes himself a target tbf. Boo fucking hoo.

Fiar enough, thats never going to happen if you always predict failure though. Thats the safest seat in the house.

Where England are concerned it is. :o Dan picked the Krauts though tbf.

Fiar enough, thats never going to happen if you always predict failure though. Thats the safest seat in the house.

Lucky guess and fuck all to do with watching or even understanding their football or style of play in the last 12 months.

Not even the Germans picked the Germans.

don't think i predicted a round but i did forecast that we'd get knocked out on pens; we weren't even good enough for that though this time, sadly.

i thought at best we'd get to the quarters. never thought we were genuine contenders. stevie's predictions for england as well as him insisting that we'd slaughter the germans if we met them were ridiculous and deserved to be ridiculed.

ultimately, i think our abject humiliation at this world cup might be a good thing for the long term outlook. this set of players was never going to win it this time around and being knocked down to earth could hopefully reduce some of the national expectation and pressure on the players next time round. no doubt i'll be wrong mind and the usual hype about us being one of the favourites to win it will be all over the red tops again in four years time.

Lucky guess and fuck all to do with watching or even understanding their football or style of play in the last 12 months.

my prediction was based more on their mentality. the germans players play with the natural confidence the english lack, built on decades of success as opposed to decades of underachievement and the expectations built up by a fenzied media hype. their players (even when not fancied to do well) always have the belief they will progress and do well in the tournament. they almost always play as a collective unit. england play as a bunch of individuals with fear and the weight of years of collective failures on their shoulders. i thought capello might be the man to address this but sadly he was found lacking too.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Guest alex

Changing tact slightly, I think we've had a few examples of 'glorious failure' in the past which has probably papered over the cracks regarding many issues from grassroots coaching to the amount of foreign players in the English leagues. Couple that with the recent success of clubs in the CL and you might have been forgiven for thinking we had a good chance and that all was rosey in the garden. I'd like to think the nature of our exit would lead to our looking at what is wrong with the game over here. I seriously doubt it though.

Guest alex

my prediction was based more on their mentality. the germans players play with the natural confidence the english lack, built on decades of success as opposed to decades of underachievement and the expectations built up by a fenzied media hype. their players (even when not fancied to do well) always have the belief they will progress and do well in the tournament. they almost always play as a collective unit. england play as a bunch of individuals with fear and the weight of years of collective failures on their shoulders. i thought capello might be the man to address this but sadly he was found lacking too.

Preparation is always perfect too. They leave nothing to chance.

Exactly. Deluded happy optimisim is a better frame of mind to be in than defeatist methodical realism.

ok, fair play, i'll give you that :o

don't think i predicted a round but i did forecast that we'd get knocked out on pens; we weren't even good enough for that though this time, sadly.

i thought at best we'd get to the quarters. never thought we were genuine contenders. stevie's predictions for england as well as him insisting that we'd slaughter the germans if we met them were ridiculous and deserved to be ridiculed.

ultimately, i think our abject humiliation at this world cup might be a good thing for the long term outlook. this set of players was never going to win it this time around and being knocked down to earth could hopefully reduce some of the national expectation and pressure on the players next time round. no doubt i'll be wrong mind and the usual hype about us being one of the favourites to win it will be all over the red tops again in four years time.

I agree for the most part but the bookies didnt have the view that Germany were a better bet going into the tournament.

On your next post down, Capello and Rooney massively under-achieved and they shoulder responsibility as much as the media-hype/bunch of individuals-type arguments.