Who's going to win the World Cup?

Guest Barrack Road

WHO  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of a few key players I think this is the most mediocre England side in a while. If anything happens to Rooney England are fucked. The defence and goal keepers in particular wouldn't inspire me with confidence either. Yes, England have a great manager, but that won't make up for the deficits on the pitch imo. Expect the usual hype and disappointment, I'm just looking forward to seeing some good games no matter who's playing.

This is the concern, and our opponents will be fully aware of it too. I can see him getting knacked early on and us reverting to a de facto 4-6-0, Rob Lee vs. Monaco style. :icon_lol:

I'm pretty sure the toon ended the 7-1 against Spurs without a striker on the pitch.

In that case, I'll rephrase: "...reverting to a de facto 4-6-0, game we'd already won comfortably against a team who were already thoroughly defeated style". ;)

I'd love us to win the thing btw.

Guest Barrack Road
With the exception of a few key players I think this is the most mediocre England side in a while. If anything happens to Rooney England are fucked. The defence and goal keepers in particular wouldn't inspire me with confidence either. Yes, England have a great manager, but that won't make up for the deficits on the pitch imo. Expect the usual hype and disappointment, I'm just looking forward to seeing some good games no matter who's playing.

This is the concern, and our opponents will be fully aware of it too. I can see him getting knacked early on and us reverting to a de facto 4-6-0, Rob Lee vs. Monaco style. :icon_lol:

I'm pretty sure the toon ended the 7-1 against Spurs without a striker on the pitch.

In that case, I'll rephrase: "...reverting to a de facto 4-6-0, game we'd already won comfortably against a team who were already thoroughly defeated style". ;)

I'd love us to win the thing btw.

If it happens oh my god, two or three day drink and drugs orgy. I might even be in London for it yet which would be cool in some ways but I'd rather be here. The Londoners seem to love England more than geordies even.

Edited by Barrack Road

Guest Barrack Road
Will be supporting every team that plays against Portugal too btw.

+1

More importantly though. ITALY. Italy are the Tottenham of international football, forgetting about trophies.

I can't see past spain. Cassilas, Puyol, Xavi, Fabregas, Iniesta, Torres and David Villa are all at least in the top ten in the world for their position and then you have the likes Sergio Ramos, Pique, Xavi Alonso and David Silva who are all brilliant too. I don't really see a weak link in their team (although I'm not sure who they have at left back) and I think the fact that they are the European champions will work in their favour.

I think we could win it but we have too many problems. We don't a definitive number one keeper, Ferdinand and Terry have been struggling with fitness and form all season, Johnson can't defend, we've never managed to sucessfully use Lampard and Gerrard to their full ability together, Lennon and Wright Phillips aren't good enough on the right (consistantly at least) and we are missing the variation (and class) that Beckham would have provided and we only have one top class striker.

If everything goes right we could win but I think other teams (Spain, Brazil, Holland & Argentina) have the players in reserve to cope with any problems they might have.

I do think that we have the best manager by quite a distance like and hopfully he will be the deciding factor!

This has to be the most well prepared and tactically briefed team we've ever entered thanks to Capello.

+1

More importantly though. ITALY. Italy are the Tottenham of international football, forgetting about trophies.

;)

Aye an important distinction and one worth making tbf.

Guest Barrack Road
I tend to support Holland once England are out. ;)

I tend to scowl at my screen, green with envy regardless who we are playing once we're out.

I can't see past spain. Cassilas, Puyol, Xavi, Fabregas, Iniesta, Torres and David Villa are all at least in the top ten in the world for their position and then you have the likes Sergio Ramos, Pique, Xavi Alonso and David Silva who are all brilliant too. I don't really see a weak link in their team (although I'm not sure who they have at left back) and I think the fact that they are the European champions will work in their favour.

I think we could win it but we have too many problems. We don't a definitive number one keeper, Ferdinand and Terry have been struggling with fitness and form all season, Johnson can't defend, we've never managed to sucessfully use Lampard and Gerrard to their full ability together, Lennon and Wright Phillips aren't good enough on the right (consistantly at least) and we are missing the variation (and class) that Beckham would have provided and we only have one top class striker.

If everything goes right we could win but I think other teams (Spain, Brazil, Holland & Argentina) have the players in reserve to cope with any problems they might have.

I do think that we have the best manager by quite a distance like and hopfully he will be the deciding factor!

Capdevilla is usually first choice, but they played former Liverpool and current Real Madrid man Arbeloa there in a recent friendly.

Guest Barrack Road
I tend to support Holland once England are out. ;)

Just stuck an ayrton on them - dark horses

An Ayrton :icon_lol: I love rhyming slang so much.

Edited by Barrack Road

Guest alex
never bet against the sourkrauts. even when their squad is average, and it is this time, they're usually there or there abouts

Bit of a myth perpetuated in this country. Since 1990 about the best thing you could say about them is they're often very hard to beat. I don't think they've got any chance this time round either. I fucking hope they don't prove me wrong like.

Edited by alex

Guest Barrack Road
never bet against the sourkrauts. even when their squad is average, and it is this time, they're usually there or there abouts

Bit of a myth perpetuated in this country. Since 1990 about the best thing you could say about them is they're often very hard to beat. I don't think they've got any chance this time round either. I fucking hope they don't prove me wrong like.

The best thing you could say about them is since 1990 they've reached five major finals, and we've reached none.

Guest alex

The best thing you could say about them is since 1990 they've reached five major finals, and we've reached none.

I was specifically on about World Cups really but I take your point. I think they've been dead ordinary for a good few years though and their current side, especially without Ballack, is pretty poor compared to the past imo. Quarter finalists would be my guess.

With a passion. North Korea beating them would be better than us winning the World Cup as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I know the Germans "always do well", but I honestly think they could be a surprise casualty of the group phase. The squad is as poor as it's been since Euro 2004 (and yes, I'm still bitter they didn't get beaten by Latvia like they deserved) and I reckon Serbia and Ghana will both cause them problems.

With a passion. North Korea beating them would be better than us winning the World Cup as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I know the Germans "always do well", but I honestly think they could be a surprise casualty of the group phase. The squad is as poor as it's been since Euro 2004 (and yes, I'm still bitter they didn't get beaten by Latvia like they deserved) and I reckon Serbia and Ghana will both cause them problems.

Stevie, the odds for a Serbia win against Deutschalnd might be worth a look.

Capdevilla is usually first choice, but they played former Liverpool and current Real Madrid man Arbeloa there in a recent friendly.

Well there you have their weak link as niether are owt special. Don't think that will hurt them too much though.

;)

I quite fancy Holland for this btw.

Aye, they were quality in the Euro's and with Sneijder in form they could do well. Being totally overlooked.

Stevie, the odds for a Serbia win against Deutschalnd might be worth a look.

They were beaten by New Zealand in Austria at the weekend one nowt :icon_lol:

The fans rioted and Vidic had to make an appeal for calm in the stands.

A lot of folk say they're dark horses but looking at their side its not as good as even Croatia for me and they didnt make it.

Stevie makes a good point about climate, but a lot of sides have gone to Austria to prepare at altitude...away from the coastal cities (Cape Town, Durban) a lot of the games will be played at a height above sea level not many Europeans will be used to. Which sides this benenfits most is something I'm not sure about but it can be noted that Brazil are the only side to have won the WC outside of their continent....I think I'm right in saying theyve done it a couple of times? (Sweden 58 and Japan 02?)

But I think looking at the teams as a whole its much the same as the last one...no truly outstanding team/s so anyone of the countries who have traditionally done well and get a bit of momentum can conceivably go on to win it....that includes England, whose biggest assset for me is Capello.

As someone said above if England don't win, for old times sakes I'll be hoping Holland's defence can hold out and match their impressive forwards and midfilelders. Wouldnt mind seeing the Argies do well too...for Jonas like :D