England v Germany

Park Life

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's more Premier League players in the finals than from any other country.

Over 100.

It's difficult to come up with any that have been any better than 'solid', and only a few have managed that.

Who has really shone though? Ozil & Villa, possibly Klose. Forlan?

Which players in general?

A couple of the lads off Ghana, Annan and the winger.

Most of the German team.

Forlan has been superb.

I'd say that they havent individually shone, they've played like a team. A couple have stood out individually.

But they''ve all been solid at the very least.

Even a big name like Schweinsteiger that played in the champions league final has come out with his reputation enhanced rather than sullied.

Guest Gordon McKeag
Why do the Germans hate the Dutch btw? I get the other way round but not the German spite towards Holland. Is it just because they were once German? (or Saxon or whatever)?

It might be because the dutch are even more arrogant than them. I think if you were having a World Cup of arrogant cunts, the last four would be Italy, Russia, Holland and Germany.

Did we get knocked out in the quarters?

We didn't even qualify, Scotland got to the Quarters and were firm favourites to go on and win it, but the drink proved their downfall.

Guest Gordon McKeag
I always wondered if you were just an algorithm.

You're linguistically gifted to say you went to St Mary's. I really had never encountered that word before.

I didn't go to St. Mary's :o

Heaton Manor then.

Guest alex

You're linguistically gifted to say you went to St Mary's. I really had never encountered that word before.

Heaton Manor then.

Nope.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Heaton Manor then.

Nope.

RALPH GARDNER.

Over 100.

It's difficult to come up with any that have been any better than 'solid', and only a few have managed that.

Suarez, Sneijder, Lucio, Higuaín, Honda, Muller, Vittek......Donovan

Shone? Or have looked good? None of them for me have been outstanding. Good but not shining stars.

Klose's finishing has been good and he has worked hard but he hasnt 'shone'.

I thought thats what was being discussed here, not players who have had good tournaments but players who have really stood out.

Honda was ok, Vittek looked decent in the group stages, Donovan enhanced his reputation etc.

Guest alex

I didn't go to St. Mary's :D

Heaton Manor then.

Nope.

RALPH GARDNER.

:o No.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Heaton Manor then.

Nope.

RALPH GARDNER.

That catholic one beside the coast road. We beat them 1-4 and I got two in the County Cup. Thomas Moore that's it.

Guest alex

Heaton Manor then.

Nope.

RALPH GARDNER.

That catholic one beside the coast road. We beat them 1-4 and I got two in the County Cup. Thomas Moore that's it.

No. I'm not a left-footer btw. You nosey bastard.

Over 100.

Shone? Or have looked good? None of them for me have been outstanding. Good but not shining stars.

I thought thats what was being discussed here, not players who have had good tournaments but players who have really stood out.

Honda was ok, Vittek looked decent in the group stages, Donovan enhanced his reputation etc.

Anyone who added a couple of million or more to their value.

Edited by Happy Face

Over 100.

Aye ok but one of the features of the tournament has been the poor performances the 'star' players, the likes of Torres, Ronaldo, Rooney, Kaka (shit anyway) and even Messi to an extent (no goals anyway).

I guess one theory could be that the competition (and by that we could infer 'current climate in international football') has shown that team work is more important than star players. Obviously linked to the standard of coaches and tactical organisation.

Guest Gordon McKeag
alex was a hardocre member of LBAB so i reckon he went to the high school there.

Longbenton Aggroboys :o

I'm out of schools then I don't know any of them trampy Killingworth/North Tyneside schools tbh. None of those schools were ever good enough to play us.

Over 100.

Aye ok but one of the features of the tournament has been the poor performances the 'star' players, the likes of Torres, Ronaldo, Rooney, Kaka (shit anyway) and even Messi to an extent (no goals anyway).

I guess one theory could be that the competition (and by that we could infer 'current climate in international football') has shown that team work is more important than star players. Obviously linked to the standard of coaches and tactical organisation.

Adebayor was saying just as much on telly the other day. His example was the Ivory Coast looking a far better team without Drogba who's too big for his boots and is a star individual who drags the whole team down when he's not on fire.

Seemed an odd point for him to be making having led the Togo player revolt over bonus payments in 2006.

Guest alex
alex was a hardocre member of LBAB so i reckon he went to the high school there.

Longbenton Aggroboys :D

I'm out of schools then I don't know any of them trampy Killingworth/North Tyneside schools tbh. None of those schools were ever good enough to play us.

:o

Over 100.

Adebayor was saying just as much on telly the other day. His example was the Ivory Coast looking a far better team without Drogba who's too big for his boots and is a star individual who drags the whole team down when he's not on fire.

Seemed an odd point for him to be making having led the Togo player revolt over bonus payments in 2006.

And an old German player (forgotten which one) said something similar about Ballack.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Over 100.

And an old German player (forgotten which one) said something similar about Ballack.

Absolute classic example of this was Michael and Brian Laudrup not playing in Euro 92 because they hated the manager.

Guest alex

Over 100.

Absolute classic example of this was Michael and Brian Laudrup not playing in Euro 92 because they hated the manager.

Brian Laudrup played but his brother didn't. And Michael was probably the best player that country ever produced.

Edited by alex

Guest Gordon McKeag

Over 100.

Brian Laudrup played but his brother didn't. And Michael was probably the best player that country ever produced.

I thought it was the two of them. Michael definitely didn't play, and he was one of the best 10 European players of the last 25 years in my opinion.

Guest alex

Over 100.

I thought it was the two of them. Michael definitely didn't play, and he was one of the best 10 European players of the last 25 years in my opinion.

Brian played throughout the tournament. He definitely played in the final anyway, just off the striker.

Why do the Germans hate the Dutch btw? I get the other way round but not the German spite towards Holland. Is it just because they were once German? (or Saxon or whatever)?

It's partly cause they are of the sameish original stock, but mainly they are jealous of the Dutch sense of humour and bravado.

Over 100.

...but irritating and whinny with it.