England v Germany

Park Life

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the one aspect in life we are better than them is our humanity.

Based on what Stevie? World War II?

I've never thought of the Germans as less humane than the British, if anything quite the opposite. I don't know the place and people as well as you, but it seems a tad extreme. The German people I've met have always seemed bang on, if a little starchy....

Lots of things. I've met loads of germans, they are calculated, humourless, cold and boring. We are a more emotive people without a doubt. I'll never forget Brehme's tackle on Gazza, it was done to make him react and get him sent off, calculated in an evil German way. They still have that nazi inprint stained across their very fibre, a sinister, cold way about them, this view isn't ignorance, it's what I see. They are more efficient, more organised, more staid in every walk of their life and less likely to make mistakes, they are robotic and mechanical, we are emotional and culpable. I mean look at these.

I think this picture says it all. Look at the state of the jeans the one in the middle is wearing.MilenaVelbaMiosotisNadineJensen.jpg

There are two types of Germans and i've worked for them both. Am sure i mentioned my old German boss on here a few time. One word. Cunt.

The last German boss i had was probaly the most mannered, polite and genuinely nice person i have met.

Just on that photo Stevie, whilst agreeing with the broad brush picture you paint of our two peoples, how exactly does that photo prove the point or follow on? ;)

(Two of them have got 4 tits each and the black girl on the end looks she has two bin-liners filled with water down her top btw)

I also wanted to pick up on Isegrim characterising the nationalistic attitude as 'little englanders' as if such attitudes dont exist in Germany? They wrote the book on nationalistic fervour and i'm sure the Kleiner Deutschlander have their own take on the match.

Guest The Three Lions

I've never thought of the Germans as less humane than the British, if anything quite the opposite. I don't know the place and people as well as you, but it seems a tad extreme. The German people I've met have always seemed bang on, if a little starchy....

Lots of things. I've met loads of germans, they are calculated, humourless, cold and boring. We are a more emotive people without a doubt. I'll never forget Brehme's tackle on Gazza, it was done to make him react and get him sent off, calculated in an evil German way. They still have that nazi inprint stained across their very fibre, a sinister, cold way about them, this view isn't ignorance, it's what I see. They are more efficient, more organised, more staid in every walk of their life and less likely to make mistakes, they are robotic and mechanical, we are emotional and culpable. I mean look at these.

I think this picture says it all. Look at the state of the jeans the one in the middle is wearing.MilenaVelbaMiosotisNadineJensen.jpg

There are two types of Germans and i've worked for them both. Am sure i mentioned my old German boss on here a few time. One word. Cunt.

The last German boss i had was probaly the most mannered, polite and genuinely nice person i have met.

Just on that photo Stevie, whilst agreeing with the broad brush picture you paint of our two peoples, how exactly does that photo prove the point or follow on? ;)

(Two of them have got 4 tits each and the black girl on the end looks she has two bin-liners filled with water down her top btw)

I also wanted to pick up on Isegrim characterising the nationalistic attitude as 'little englanders' as if such attitudes dont exist in Germany? They wrote the book on nationalistic fervour and i'm sure the Kleiner Deutschlander have their own take on the match.

I was just pointing out what shite fashion sense they have. I read somewhere they, THEY, accuse us of having no fashion sense, what makes me laugh is when you see a German manager interviewed they'll have a nice suit on on adidas on one collar of their shirt, MERECEDEZ BENZ on the other with a tie. You gotta love them :icon_lol: well you don't, but this sums it all up for me....

There was some survey a while back and it reckoned the English are worse than the Krauts for putting sunbeds on towels at the crack of dawn thing. Their dress sense is terrible though. And that ad is canny good like. Shame about the product.

There was some survey a while back and it reckoned the English are worse than the Krauts for putting sunbeds on towels at the crack of dawn thing.

Only because they started it. LIEK THE WAR AN THAT.

There was some survey a while back and it reckoned the English are worse than the Krauts for putting sunbeds on towels at the crack of dawn thing. Their dress sense is terrible though. And that ad is canny good like. Shame about the product.

Not worse at it. We just won that war too. [/stevie]

There was some survey a while back and it reckoned the English are worse than the Krauts for putting sunbeds on towels at the crack of dawn thing.

Only because they started it. LIEK THE WAR AN THAT.

Aye, they started it, but we beat them ;)

My Dad and uncle used to do it for me Mam and auntie when we used to go to Spain years ago. :icon_lol: I've never been on a holiday to a big hotel where you might need to do it since then though. It's fucking weird iyam.

Another thing. The German attitude of 'we dont care about England, its not really a rivalry' is the epitome of arrogance for me too. We beat them possibly unfairly in 66 and that still gets discussed, we have been involved in great classic games together. Their stand alone record at major tournaments is irelevant to the rivalry. Its the results between us that matter.

If Germany dont consider England one of their main international rivals then who is for them? You cant ignore history, they started wars which decimated millions and millions of people, in my view denying the rivalry is, in part, denying their past.

Another thing. The German attitude of 'we dont care about England, its not really a rivalry' is the epitome of arrogance for me too. We beat them possibly unfairly in 66 and that still gets discussed, we have been involved in great classic games together. Their stand alone record at major tournaments is irelevant to the rivalry. Its the results between us that matter.

If Germany dont consider England one of their main international rivals then who is for them? You cant ignore history, they started wars which decimated millions and millions of people, in my view denying the rivalry is, in part, denying their past.

Apart from scoring a 4th goal the free-kick that preceded their late equaliser in normal time was never a foul so they can fuck right off.

Edited by alex

It's the best thing that could have happened to England iyam. And I am not trying to use Parky's reversed logic here. It's what I told English friends already before yesterday.

I pretty sure that England will win the game and I guess you will win it quite comfortably. It's not only that (at least) on paper you have the better players, they will also be for once totally motivated for this game. You only have to look at some comments here and the rhetoric in the press to see how much this game means to England - at least far more than it means to German people and the team. Add to it Beckenbauer's comments who were light hearted but only good for motivating the opposition. It's a shame that unfortunately there are still some people in England to take him serious because here in Germany he is well known for talking rubbish and changing his opinion even more often than Craig is posting old jokes. You can bet he'll be waxing lyrical about England and English football after the game.

I'd rather played USA and actually hoped that Ghana would score a late equalizer just to see us avoid England. Unfortunately not. At least this game will make the day for all the little Englanders like Stevie.

We might have a decent young team that is capable of playing good football with the necessary confidence. It's ok for playing the likes of Australia and Ghana, it would also have been ok for Serbia if not for Klose's stupidity and if Podolski would have more than the IQ of a slater...

It's a real shame we are playin each other so early, these are the two sides that have the mental strength and intelligence to upset the South American sides in the latter stages of the tournament. I appreciate your comments, but still think Germany will win....

I'm sticking my neck out and saying we'll win 3-1. The last time we played them our reserves utterly dominated in Berlin against them. I think the real England will stand up, I really do.

Kin hope so, or it's going to be hell watching the rest of the tournament here. ;)

"Herr Parky, your team did not play so well I think! It is always this way against us! You vill hope we do not meet again next time, hein?!"

* belly laughs and slaps back *

Tactically don't know whether to watch it outside in the English pub (with Christian a perfumer knows fuck all about football and Karsten - boring) or with Mrs P's dad and brother. Both carry their own particular irritations.

Edited by Park Life

The press have got Capello and the England players talking about penalties in the run-up to the game. Surely that has to have some sort of psychological effect, that we focus their minds on it as soon as this fixture comes up. I bet the Germans aren't talking about penalties in their press conferences.

Anyway, supposedly Capello's five is Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Milner and Barry.

Lahm gave an interview in which he has already stated pens suit Germany. I reckon David James has a good record with pens iirc

what jeans? I dont see any jeans?

;)

Nor can they, I'd guess.

I see them, being worn by some fat unattractive lasses with minging tits

...and they get up at 5.30 and needlessly turn upto work at 7.30. ;)

Apart from scoring a 4th goal the free-kick that preceded their late equaliser in normal time was never a foul so they can fuck right off.

;) alex is seething.

Guest The Three Lions

I love BMW cars but this is my favourite German thing ever....

JA JA JA DAS IST GUT DAS IST LASS

Iirc Germany see Holland as their main rivals and that view is reciprocated.

There is certainly a bigger hatred there.

Goalkeeper's fear of the penalty? Not for me

DAVID JAMES

What a difference four days makes. I give away a penalty in the England game, which was really frustrating, then I save one for Pompey in yesterday's win over Wigan. I've got penalties on the brain with the FA cup semi-final against West Brom looming. Last time I was in a semi-final, with Aston Villa, it went to a 4-1 shootout win against Bolton.

Do goalkeepers get nervous about the dreaded spot-kick? I don't, not any more. Last Wednesday in Paris I wasn't nervous, I was just peed off that I'd given a bloody penalty away against France again. I've never saved a penalty for England, which really bothers me. Although I think I put one player off at Euro 2004, if you're counting.

Penalties are paradoxical things. If you give away a penalty and don't save it, it's your own terrible mistake, but at least it's you that everyone is blaming rather than someone else. If a defender concedes one and you don't save it, you feel even worse. You picture their face as the guy lines up to take it, full of expectation. And then disappointment. I would rather it was all in my hands. I know that sounds mad, but at least then it's my responsibility and no one else's.

Not that you want to be there at all. Ideally, you just want everyone in front of you feeling focused. Concede a penalty and it disrupts the way people play, all of a sudden the pressure is on and they're feeling down. You can't save from a brilliant penalty taker and Eric Cantona was the best. His technique was so good it was a joke. You would stand on the goalline waiting and waiting - his run-up was so slow. He didn't need to sprint and blast the ball: he had control. After he retired I found out his secret - he was watching the keeper. As soon as the keeper's knee went, Cantona took the ball the other way and left him stranded. For any keeper, a bent knee is the point of no return.

There is a complex amount of psychology every time a penalty taker faces a goalkeeper. They try to read each other's body language, and the best attempt to psych each other out with false cues. As a keeper you're never expected to make the save, but that doesn't stop you wanting to.

How do goalkeepers save penalties? David Seaman said he had a special technique, but never let the cat out of the bag. The very best was Paul Cooper for Ipswich Town. He saved eight penalties out of 10 one season back in 1979-80. Keepers were not allowed to move their feet in those days, so he used to stand there swinging his arms and leaning to one side to put people off. I remember mimicking him in the playground. It was a bizarre technique, but it worked.

Sometimes it's just instinctive. There have been a couple times this season - including yesterday - when I knew which way the ball was going as soon as the guy put it on the spot. Then the only thing you have to do is stand up long enough to save it. When the ref pointed to the spot yesterday I thought 'Oh no, it's Wednesday again', but then as soon as Ryan Taylor put the ball down I thought: 'I know which way he's going to put this.' I was right.

Sometimes it's the gamesmanship that gets you. It's worse against former team-mates or players you know from the national team. When we played Liverpool in the Asia Trophy last summer Stevie G stepped up. I looked at him, thinking: 'I know where you're going to put this.' Then I asked myself: 'But is he thinking the same thing? What if he puts it the other way?' Your head is full of questions. (Stevie scored, but we won the shootout 4-2).

People are forever asking why England don't practise penalties more, and under Mr Capello we have done. But it's not always as simple as people think. Practising penalties with your team-mates can complicate matters. If a penalty taker continually practises with the same keeper, the keeper starts reading the penalties and saving them. Then you've got your penalty taker developing a complex because he is not scoring, and your keeper completely thrown when someone new takes a shot at him.

A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Just like with Zinedine Zidane's free-kick and penalty at Euro 2004 when we had done no preparation because he hadn't taken one for France for two years. Then he stepped up and I was all over the place.

It's not difficult to develop a mental block about penalties. I had a good spell at saving them with Liverpool and then all of sudden it dried up. I remember a reporter said to me: 'Dave, you've got a great penalty save record.' I said 'Thanks very much' and then didn't save another one for two years. I started believing in mystical powers, being jinxed and all that: it was a long time before I spoke to that reporter again.

You can dream up a million theories on how to score them or save them, and I have a few secrets of my own. But in the end a lot of it does just boil down to guesswork. Yours and theirs. For any budding penalty takers out there, your best bet is just to smash it as hard as you can. At least that way you won't tie yourself up in knots about it.

Guest The Three Lions

There is certainly a bigger hatred there.

Aye we went to war with them and lost a few hundred thousand of our brave men, 8 million of those soft cunts died, that's one thing, but having your country occupied by them must be quite another.