Soham killer Huntley to sue over throat slash attack

Craig

What fucks me off is he probably won't even get the compensation but the cunt giving him legal advice will presumably earn an absolute fortune off the taxpayer.

not going to be a lot of good to him on a life sentence mind.................. and I suspect he'll never be allowed out

Did you even read what I wrote? :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What fucks me off is he probably won't even get the compensation but the cunt giving him legal advice will presumably earn an absolute fortune off the taxpayer.

not going to be a lot of good to him on a life sentence mind.................. and I suspect he'll never be allowed out

sums up this topic tbh :razz:

sums up this topic tbh :razz:

And Rob.

Anybody with any balls would, LM.

That excludes half this board though. They'd be happy with a handful of years served and the certain knowledge that the murderer had paid their debt to society.

Not much value on that life taken when you think about it.

I can only presume they don't have kids when they can't comprehend it. Even thinking of anyone even hurting your child chills you to the bone.

I've got two kids and I find it offensive you would consider me a worse parent because I don't agree the state should execute Huntley.

Anybody with any balls would, LM.

That excludes half this board though. They'd be happy with a handful of years served and the certain knowledge that the murderer had paid their debt to society.

Not much value on that life taken when you think about it.

I can only presume they don't have kids when they can't comprehend it. Even thinking of anyone even hurting your child chills you to the bone.

I've got two kids and I find it offensive you would consider me a worse parent because I don't agree the state should execute Huntley.

no offence intended I apologise for that and respect your different view.

i don't think leazesmag should be banned purely because of his comedic value to topics like this

I reckon idiotic do gooders like you should be put down too lad. Are you another yank ?

:)

As was said by someone else, your "holier than thou" attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Before condeming anyone who thinks they shouldn't want child murderers executed, put yourself in the position of the parents of one of them.

And Craig, I meant what I said ie disperse them and then deal with the other immigration problem, I've posted my views on this topic in the past.

This whole 'Holier-than-thou' slander is bizarre. Because, as I said earlier, by deeming my opinions 'holier than thou' you are automatically framing yourself as the 'correct' one in this topic which ironically, in itself, is just another form of piety as all your trying to achieve with an insult like that is by making yourself look intellectually superior to me, or as you so succinctly put it, 'Holier-than-thou'.

And yes I've tried to put myself in their position, as far as one can empathise with such an extreme situation, and I think it's incredibly presumptuous to assume that Holly & Jessica's parents would want Huntley dead. Do you remember the Rhys Jones case? -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/6624649...orgiveness.html

you are equally automatically framing yourself as the "correct" one re your earlier jibe at me.

Neither you [presumably] nor I knows what it truly feels like, what I do know is that I think they should pay a price for what they do and the public should be shown that this is the case. If some woolly headed liberal thinks they are "victims", can be "cured", can be let out, can be awarded compensation, they are fools. Ian Huntley and his ilk are scumbags and deserve all they get.

I find it hard to be rational about someone like this but perhaps that's why it's better other people decide what is done to Huntley and his ilk. I do wonder what good comes of killing people though, even people like him. Would the victims' families ultimately feel any better? Very debatable imo. I struggle to see what good keeping him inside forever is too though. That's not me saying he should ever get out, because he shouldn't. I just don't know what the fuck you do with someone like that. It's easy to say put a bullet in his head or whatever but you do have to consider the wider implications of re-introducing the death penalty and I suppose that's one of the reasons I'm against it. I suppose him killing himself would be the 'best' option in many ways but I don't agree that in reality he should just be allowed to do it. I believe there is a duty of care by the state for individuals in prison and that has to be universal. I appreciate he doesn't really deserve such reasonable treatment .

Soham murderer Ian Huntley should drop a compensation claim against the Prison Service after an inmate slashed his throat, victims campaigners have said.

The former school caretaker will claim the service failed in its duty of care towards him over the incident.

Campaigner Ann Oakes-Odger, whose son Westley was killed in a knife attack in 2005, described Huntley's decision to sue as an "absolute moral obscenity".

She asked why he had access to legal aid if victims' families did not.

Huntley, 36, killed 10-year-olds Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in 2002.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said the compensation claim would be "vigorously defended".

Ms Oakes-Odger said: "When somebody has a child murdered or a loved one murdered the life that they knew prior to that ceases to be.

"There's a line drawn under what they knew as a family life, their health suffers, many people lose their homes because they cannot work, and there's no real access to compensation for them.

"We have to get back to the situation where there's a level playing field. This is quite immoral that we are having this discussion about a man that took the lives of two small children.

"Why should he have access to legal aid when victims' families do not have that right?"

Earlier this year the then Justice Secretary Jack Straw said the government had "absolutely no intention" of paying compensation to Huntley over the attack.

At Commons question time it emerged he could be awarded up to £20,000 if a claim for negligence were successful.

Norman Brennan, founder of the Victims of Crime Trust, said that if Huntley won his claim, his victims' families should sue him.

Mr Brennan said: "If Huntley had the slightest remorse for the terrible murder of these two girls he would drop the case immediately and get on with serving his sentence, and just be thankful it's not pre-1967 when he may well have been sentenced to the hangman's noose.

"The compensation culture in Britain has turned our criminal justice system on its head. What message is sent out when the two families in this matter received maximum £11,000 and yet Huntley, for injuries received while serving a sentence, could get many times that.

"Huntley is the one responsible for being in prison. He should shut up."

In September 2005 Huntley was scalded with boiling water at Wakefield Prison.

He had been in the health care wing of the West Yorkshire jail at the time of the attack.

In 2008 Huntley was moved to HMP Frankland, a Category A high security men's prison.

While at Frankland he was attacked and slashed across the throat by a prisoner who was said to have been armed with a razor blade.

It is believed that Huntley has tried to commit suicide three times since his conviction in December 2003.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman confirmed the legal action by Huntley, who is understood to be claiming £20,000 for injuries suffered and a sum - put at £60,000 in one report - for failure to uphold the duty of care.

"Ian Huntley is bringing a claim against the Ministry of Justice following an assault by another prisoner," the spokesman said.

Juliet Lyon, of the Prison Reform Trust, said it was a difficult issue for the government to handle, as Huntley had committed such a heinous crime, but there was a principle that prisons needed to be safe places.

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The issue of safety and security is absolutely a bedrock one.

"It's a difficult place now for the Ministry of Justice because they have to hold that line. If a court sentences someone to custody they're not sentencing them to be attacked.

"We have to expect that our prison service is going to be a safe, secure place. What happens thereafter if that breaks down, if the staff aren't able to hold that line, it's then up to the individual to pursue any means that they're able to."

'Violent place'

Colin Moses, national chairman of the Prison Officers Association (POA), said a "compensation culture for inmates" was developing within the prison service.

He said: "This claim has to be set against the levels of compensation for staff who are attacked.

"We have to fight for every penny we can for members, who are working in what is now a very violent place.

"It was my members who saved Mr Huntley after this attack, it will be my members who continue to save him if he is attacked again."

Grimsby-born Huntley was a caretaker in the Cambridgeshire village of Soham when he enticed Holly and Jessica into his home.

The girls were killed and their remains hidden.

He was convicted with his then girlfriend Maxine Carr who had worked as a teaching assistant at the school.

She was found guilty of perverting the course of justice but has since been released and given a new identity.

In a nut-shell.

I find it hard to be rational about someone like this but perhaps that's why it's better other people decide what is done to Huntley and his ilk. I do wonder what good comes of killing people though, even people like him. Would the victims' families ultimately feel any better? Very debatable imo. I struggle to see what good keeping him inside forever is too though. That's not me saying he should ever get out, because he shouldn't. I just don't know what the fuck you do with someone like that. It's easy to say put a bullet in his head or whatever but you do have to consider the wider implications of re-introducing the death penalty and I suppose that's one of the reasons I'm against it. I suppose him killing himself would be the 'best' option in many ways but I don't agree that in reality he should just be allowed to do it. I believe there is a duty of care by the state for individuals in prison and that has to be universal. I appreciate he doesn't really deserve such reasonable treatment .

Agreed.