Free £500 Lap top

Christmas Tree

Again though, you could say that about anything. Why should we pay for other peoples food, petrol, shoes. I do see that giving poor children access to the internet could have benefits in the long term ie increase their knowledge, get better grades and ultimately get out of the poverty bracket when they leave school.

I'm all for a welfare system that provides the essentials for those who need them, I just don't class laptops and internet access as essential.

What you say about increasing knowledge etc. is all well and good in theory but I just can't see it happening for the majority in reality.

Again though, you could say that about anything. Why should we pay for other peoples food, petrol, shoes. I do see that giving poor children access to the internet could have benefits in the long term ie increase their knowledge, get better grades and ultimately get out of the poverty bracket when they leave school.

I'm all for a welfare system that provides the essentials for those who need them, I just don't class laptops and internet access as essential.

What you say about increasing knowledge etc. is all well and good in theory but I just can't see it happening for the majority in reality.

By extension, would you close all libraries then? Free Galleries? Museums? etc.

I'm failing to see the connection, libraries and museums are for mainly educational purposes, the internet is not.

I'm failing to see the connection, libraries and museums are for mainly educational purposes, the internet is not.

Well I totally disagree there, but whether it is or not, that doesn't make libraries, galleries or museums essential so the point remains.

Well I totally disagree there, but whether it is or not, that doesn't make libraries, galleries or museums essential so the point remains.

Of course they aren't absolutely essential but can you not see the difference between them and the internet?

Of course they aren't absolutely essential but can you not see the difference between them and the internet?

difference is happy, that the feckless cant flog the library after a year.

libraries are PUBLIC property. giving the fuckas laptops makes it PRIVATE property.

do you really think these gifts will be used in the correct way by the vast majority of those in reciept?? I doubt it! it'll be farmvilletastic!!

I might be missing something here but does 10,000 laptops 'worth' £500 actually equate to a cost of £5m to the government? I wouldn't have thought so.

I might be missing something here but does 10,000 laptops 'worth' £500 actually equate to a cost of £5m to the government? I wouldn't have thought so.

An everyday telephone conversation in the purchasing department of any one of a dozen Whitehall departments.

Gov: "Hi, yes we'd like to buy 10,000 of the things you sell"

Seller: "Sure yeah that'd be great they're usually £500 each but for that kind of volume we'd do you a good discount, who did you say you were?"

Gov: "We're the ministry of whatever, a government funded department"

Seller: "Oh, well sure yeah, we'll do you them for £550 a piece"

Gov: "Are you sure? that doesnt sound right, £600 sounds more realistic"....

and so it goes on, getting a contract with the goverment is like getting a key to the Bank of England.