Alright Lads, First post so lets get the minds thinking.

Geordie_Mentalist

Hello boys, nae idea how I havent heard of this place before, might be because I've lived in dark ages for years like. :angry:

Wanted to put something worthy of reading in me first post so came up (or actually pinched from numerous other sites) this idea. Basically its the Toon's best squad of 23 in the Premiership years, who would you lads have in and controversially miss out? Here's mine,

Goalkeepers

1. Shay Given

2. Shaka Hislop

3. Pavel Srnicek

Defenders

4. Steve Howey

5. Phillipe Albert

6. John Beresford

7. Jose Enrique

8. Darren Peacock

9. Steve Watson

10. Aaron Hughes

11. Fabricio Colocinni

Midfielders

12. David Ginola

13. Rob Lee

14. Gary Speed

15. James Milner

16. Nobby Solano

17. David Batty

18. Lee Clark

19. Peter Beardsley

Forwards

20. Alan Shearer

21. Les Ferdinand

22. Faustino Asprilla

23. Andy Cole

Very strong squad in my eyes, Midfield and striking options I think any of the Premier League clubs would be hard to rival them. Carroll is definetly slowing getting himself into contention to be in there but who he would replace I would have nae idea. Same goes for Nolan, really warmed to him since last season myself and seems like the kind of bloke who after he retires will live up here, seems to really really care.

Honorable mentions also go to Vennison, Fox, Gillespie, Woodgate, Sellars, Elliot & Bernard (1st time)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello boys, nae idea how I havent heard of this place before, might be because I've lived in dark ages for years like. :angry:

Wanted to put something worthy of reading in me first post so came up (or actually pinched from numerous other sites) this idea. Basically its the Toon's best squad of 23 in the Premiership years, who would you lads have in and controversially miss out? Here's mine,

Goalkeepers

1. Shay Given

2. Shaka Hislop I'd have Harper in for when he was called on 10 years ago I associate Hislop with Blackburn when he should've saved both

3. Pavel Srnicek

Defenders

4. Steve Howey

5. Phillipe Albert

6. John Beresford Bernard

7. Jose Enrique

8. Darren Peacock No idea how you omitted Woodgate like, but Woody for him.

9. Steve Watson

10. Aaron Hughes

11. Fabricio Colocinni

Midfielders

12. David Ginola

13. Rob Lee

14. Gary Speed

15. James Milner

16. Nobby Solano

17. David Batty Batty was good, but even after 10 games I can honestly say Tiote is better than him

18. Lee Clark Dietmar Hamann - one season but pure class, was very upset he left, cunt though

Forwards

19. Peter Beardsley

20. Alan Shearer

21. Les Ferdinand

22. Faustino Asprilla Craig Bellamy, Tino only really did it in Europe, he was largely shite in the league.

23. Andy Cole

Very strong squad in my eyes, Midfield and striking options I think any of the Premier League clubs would be hard to rival them. Carroll is definetly slowing getting himself into contention to be in there but who he would replace I would have nae idea. Same goes for Nolan, really warmed to him since last season myself and seems like the kind of bloke who after he retires will live up here, seems to really really care.

Honorable mentions also go to Vennison, Fox, Gillespie, Woodgate, Sellars, Elliot & Bernard (1st time)

Woodgate was good aye, but far to injury prone for meself. I grew up around the area when Peacock etc was playing and for me the service he put into the club far blows Woody's so he made the cut for me.

Batty's years or Tiote's 10 games, Batty prevails at this moment in time. Tiote simply not in for the same reasons as Carroll and Nolan, yet.

Bellamy near a Newcastle squad again, be it a make believe one like this. No thanks.

Edit - As for not having Clarky in, behave. :angry:

Edited by Geordie_Mentalist

No chance for Robert, all the potential under the sun but other than the odd screamer never showed it. His first season was canny aye, but other than that nowt. Him or Ginola on the left. Ginola hands down.

Instead of just disagreeing wi mine, hoy ya own up lads was the purpose of this thread. :angry:

Fishy old post like. Woodgate is the best defender the club have had since my first game in 85, while Darren Peacock was shite, looked out of his depth in most games for the toon, especially the early days. Any bloke with long hair needs to have a word imo.

If you look at the squad I posted its blatently obvious why Milner is there. One right winger in Nobby and a left winger in Ginola. Milner is in there because not only was he a cracking player for us but he can cover both flanks. If Robert was in owa Milner there would be no right wing cover, think of it logically.

Any cunt can mash together a group of names but the whole idea is to think of it logically and assemble a squad, not just a list of players you thought were canny.

Same applies to Hughes, Mr. Reliable for us but his main purpose in the 23 would be as cover for every defensive position.

Fishy old post like. Woodgate is the best defender the club have had since my first game in 85, while Darren Peacock was shite, looked out of his depth in most games for the toon, especially the early days. Any bloke with long hair needs to have a word imo.

Carroll, Colo, Jonas, Messi, Puyol need I go on?

And Woodgate was hardly short back and fucking sides. :angry:

Carroll, Colo, Jonas, Messi, Puyol need I go on?

And Woodgate was hardly short back and fucking sides. :angry:

Aye but despite where he was born he didn't look like a nonce. I would've had Beye in there if he'd stayed one more year, great player and Bassong would've been a future toon captain imo.

Stevie, your team has no right back. So I would put Bez ahead of Bernard as in the OP. Right back's probably been our weakest position for years thinking about it.

Stevie Watson could play right back, as I said I'd probably put Beye in the squad anyway.

Good first post btw.

Subscribe to most of the revisions suggested but would also have to leave out Howey as well. Despite his great service to the club I never rated him that highly. Would suggest Bassong, who always looked composed in a team that was otherwise at sixes and sevens and generally couldn't give a shit.

Also hellishly suprised none of you havent called me up on the exclusion of Warren Barton like.

Barton for 3 years was one of the most unpopular players we've ever had, he won a lot of people over through his endeavour in the end though. Still shite.

Stevie, your team has no right back. So I would put Bez ahead of Bernard as in the OP. Right back's probably been our weakest position for years thinking about it.

The right back spot is seriously shit it has to be said even with Premiership challenging and Champions League teams to pick from.

He was unpopular anah, I was one of the people voicing meself owa, the what the seemed, ridiclous price tag. Looking back he was as steady as a fucking rock though.

Best game he played at SJP was for Wimbledon, Keith Gillespie's debut iirc, probably what prompted Keegan to sign him. He was immense that neet.

Another player not mentioned, Ketsbaia. Looking at the strikeforce though its not suprising why. The list could go on. People who are saying Beye, Hamann, Tiote etc are missing the point mind. Its not players who have came in for 1 season and done well then moved onto pastures new.

Its players who have endeared themselves to us and put in a good bit of service, sure they may of moved on eventually but not before showing passion and that they actually wanted to be at the club.

how about a worst 23? almost as easy. i'm sure there's some obvious ones i've left out

Goalkeepers

Mike Hooper

John Burridge

John Karelse

Defenders

Titus Bramble

Jean Alain Boumsong

Marcelino

Claudio Cacapa

Laurent Charvet

Franck Dumas

Wayne Quinn