Ashley's Loan Strategy: now that we're back in the top flight.

Dolly Potter MD

It;s totally irrelevant. It's about having a winning mentality inside the club and footballers who can take the pressure of big games.

Bingo. Completely agree 100% and that's exactly what they didnt find at NUFC. And these were top international players as you rightly point out, so it's a big indictment.

That's basically what it all boils down to for me.

they tried, they did their best, they went for it, they paid the going rate. If you don't take a shot, you don't score a goal. We got close, mightily close, and had some great years, because they had a go. Thats all you can ask. We should also be demanding the same from the current owner, and the next owner too. Its as simple as that, instead of swallowing all this bullshit and lowering of standards they are coming out with.

Would you rather not take a shot ?

You can't blame owners and directors for seasoned international footballers and managers bottling big games, they supply the means to provide the managers the tools as best they can to the ability of the club, they have done their side of the deal.

Hopefully the next owner will go for it.

This bit ends up getting circular between me and you mate. I think you effectively can blame them if, overall, the culture that is allowed to develop at the club is counter to what those top players are used to elsewhere. Because then they don't care as much about winning. You don't think the Chairman can be criticised for that though so we just have to differ on that bit.

I want to take a shot again and I don't think it will be with Ashley, because (while I don't accept it's the only ingredient for success) his spending will never be top four. I totally agree with you on that. I'll be completely honest though (and this isn't said simply to be inflammatory), I don't think Shepherd would be capable of the transfers of the past now either because viable credit isn't available anymore. These are different times. I don't know if this is an odd season or what but that seems to be starting to have a bit of an effect on the table with the upshot that if we establish ourselves as a well run club it's possible we could make progress in certain areas which would give a good foundation for any new owner who was serious about a cash injection.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It;s totally irrelevant. It's about having a winning mentality inside the club and footballers who can take the pressure of big games.

Bingo. Completely agree 100% and that's exactly what they didnt find at NUFC. And these were top international players as you rightly point out, so it's a big indictment.

they tried, they did their best, they went for it, they paid the going rate. If you don't take a shot, you don't score a goal. We got close, mightily close, and had some great years, because they had a go. Thats all you can ask. We should also be demanding the same from the current owner, and the next owner too. Its as simple as that, instead of swallowing all this bullshit and lowering of standards they are coming out with.

You can't blame owners and directors for seasoned international footballers and managers bottling big games, they supply the means to provide the managers the tools as best they can to the ability of the club, they have done their side of the deal.

This bit ends up getting circular between me and you mate. I think you effectively can blame them if, overall, the culture that is allowed to develop at the club is counter to what those top players are used to elsewhere. Because then they don't care as much about winning. You don't think the Chairman can be criticised for that though so we just have to differ on that bit.

I want to take a shot again and I don't think it will be with Ashley, because (while I don't accept it's the only ingredient for success) his spending will never be top four. I totally agree with you on that. I'll be completely honest though (and this isn't said simply to be inflammatory), I don't think Shepherd would be capable of the transfers of the past now either because viable credit isn't available anymore. These are different times. I don't know if this is an odd season or what but that seems to be starting to have a bit of an effect on the table with the upshot that if we establish ourselves as a well run club it's possible we could make progress in certain areas which would give a good foundation for any new owner who was serious about a cash injection.

yes, I know you made that post saying this a while ago, and very good too. I find it hard to believe though, that people such as Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson particularly [and Kenny Dalglish even though he wasn't here for very long] to see an "unprofessional" culture at the club. If such a thing existed then those managers through time would have corrected it and improved it, surely ? This only goes back to Keegans statement that "the first one will be the hardest" by virtue of having decades of lost ground to catch up, the club was certainly small time during the 70's and 80's no doubt at all about that.

You have to remember, we were 90 minutes away from winning either the League title or the FA Cup, on a total of 4 occasions. Any one of these would have totally re-written history for us and acted as a springboard, whatever the reason we didn't quite manage it.

Shame we didn't play someone other than the double/treble winners in each of the 2 Cup Finals though ?

Well technically it is :razz:

I would say the system works. We got Williamson and Simpson out of it and possibly Ben Arfa, whilst we managed to get rid of Harewood and Kizinishvili. In years gone by we would have just bought the lot of them at inflated prices and then realised after 3 games that some of them are shit. Ala Leon Best.

no we wouldn't have bought the lot of them at inflated prices. We would have bought better quality footballers at the going rate, most of whom fulfilled their ability and expectation while a few did not but thats football.

Anyway, I'm off to the game and if its called off I'll be in the pub instead.

So why is the current 'lower' quality 'bargain basement' squad higher in the league than the squad of higher quality, that we we paid the going rate for, that we had when Shepherd left?

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

yes, I know you made that post saying this a while ago, and very good too. I find it hard to believe though, that people such as Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson particularly [and Kenny Dalglish even though he wasn't here for very long] to see an "unprofessional" culture at the club. If such a thing existed then those managers through time would have corrected it and improved it, surely ? This only goes back to Keegans statement that "the first one will be the hardest" by virtue of having decades of lost ground to catch up, the club was certainly small time during the 70's and 80's no doubt at all about that.

You have to remember, we were 90 minutes away from winning either the League title or the FA Cup, on a total of 4 occasions. Any one of these would have totally re-written history for us and acted as a springboard, whatever the reason we didn't quite manage it.

Shame we didn't play someone other than the double/treble winners in each of the 2 Cup Finals though ?

But that reason we'll just overlook ey? :razz:

I would say the system works. We got Williamson and Simpson out of it and possibly Ben Arfa, whilst we managed to get rid of Harewood and Kizinishvili. In years gone by we would have just bought the lot of them at inflated prices and then realised after 3 games that some of them are shit. Ala Leon Best.

no we wouldn't have bought the lot of them at inflated prices. We would have bought better quality footballers at the going rate, most of whom fulfilled their ability and expectation while a few did not but thats football.

So why is the current 'lower' quality 'bargain basement' squad higher in the league than the squad of higher quality, that we we paid the going rate for, that we had when Shepherd left?

do you also think Brian Clough was a shit manager because Notts Forest were relegated in his last season :D

Your stupidity has no end.

do you also think Brian Clough was a shit manager because Notts Forest were relegated in his last season :icon_lol:

No. :rip: What's your point by saying that? So if lower quality lower-fee footballers can be higher in the league than the higher quality higher-fee footballers, why buy the higher priced ones? :D

But that reason we'll just overlook ey? :razz:

So lets just not bother trying and be a permanent up and down struggling yo-yo team, being a nursery team for the big boys, selling our best players to bigger clubs like Wigan, and playing in front of 20,000 crowds eh :D

Is Perch a better player than William Gallas? Gallas was free and we paid a fee for Perch. Does that mean we got the higher quality of player? You ridiculous cunt.

do you also think Brian Clough was a shit manager because Notts Forest were relegated in his last season :icon_lol:

No. :rip: What's your point by saying that? So if lower quality lower-fee footballers can be higher in the league than the higher quality higher-fee footballers, why buy the higher priced ones? :D

I didn't realise Alex Ferguson has been getting it wrong for the last 20-odd years, you should have a word with him and offer your advice :icon_lol:

Is Perch a better player than William Gallas? Gallas was free and we paid a fee for Perch. Does that mean we got the higher quality of player? You ridiculous cunt.

omg

:razz:

omg

I don't get it?

omg

:D

I don't get it?

omg

:D

I don't get it?

So are you saying that it's possible to get better players for a lower cost then? Or not?

Yes? Or No?

omg

:rip:

I don't get it?

So are you saying that it's possible to get better players for a lower cost then? Or not?

Yes? Or No?

show me a team who qualified for euroe regular ie achieving consistent high league postions by bringing nothing but loan players, 2nd division reserve players, free transfers and selling their best ones ?

You are fast becoming a bigger joke than ever. The season is far from over. We will NEVER qualify for europe by virtue of a good league position under Mike Ashley.

On the other hand, he may be gone soon. Then what will you do without your Mikey :D

omg

:icon_lol:

I don't get it?

Yes? Or No?

show me a team who qualified for euroe regular ie achieving consistent high league postions by bringing nothing but loan players, 2nd division reserve players, free transfers and selling their best ones ?

You are fast becoming a bigger joke than ever. The season is far from over. We will NEVER qualify for europe by virtue of a good league position under Mike Ashley.

On the other hand, he may be gone soon. Then what will you do without your Mikey :D

But that's not what we're doing though :rip:

I would prefer to talk about sacking Bobby Robson, calling our female supporters “dogs”, calling Alan Shearer "Mary Poppins" - all while frequenting a brothel, if its' alright with you.

You have a thread to talk about Bromance for Fatty One - http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=28201

send that link to skidmark if its alright

I would prefer to talk about sacking Bobby Robson, calling our female supporters “dogs”, calling Alan Shearer "Mary Poppins" - all while frequenting a brothel, if its' alright with you.

You have a thread to talk about Bromance for Fatty One - http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=28201

I'm discussing the transfer strategy, you're the one mentioning qualifying for europe and nearly winning the league you fucking full-on flid

omg

I don't get it?

Yes? Or No?

yes, we are nowhere near getting back into europe nor following the path needed to get there again .Glad you understand that.

Edited by LeazesMag

omg

I don't get it?

Yes? Or No?

yes, we are nowhere near getting back into europe nor following the path needed to get there again .Glad you understand that.

Yet closer than when Shepherd left, whilst at the same time in a healthier financial position. Glad you understand that.

I'm discussing the transfer strategy, you're the one mentioning qualifying for europe and nearly winning the league you fucking full-on flid

and I'm talking about how abysmal and woefully 3rd class the transfer strategy is.

and I'm talking about how abysmal and woefully 3rd class the transfer strategy is.

Which must make the old one super-abysmal, as it left us in a lower league position.