would you join a Supporters Club?

peasepud

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if i'm honest i probably wouldn't, no. good luck with it though

Reasons?

dunno. just can't see myself getting that involved. i care about the club and what happens to it dearly but my involvement over the years has rarely stretched to more than attending a handful of games a season and posting on this forum. it's partially because i've lived down in london for about 10 years now. if i still lived back home i might be more engaged but i think it's mainly because i'm lazy. it's way easier to keep in touch with football matters by chatting on a forum than it is attending supporters' clubs meetings etc. arguably less productive too but i can't see myself changing, soz.

Thats understandable, I wasnt meaning my question as a "why the hell not like?" but just so we can gauge if it needed to be something else to what was envisaged. What I would say though is that being OOT and part of these things can often give a closer feeling of being involved in the club. A large proportion of NUST members are not in North East.

Off the top of my head though I wouldnt see any reason for the subs to be the tenner that NUST charge. One of the reasons I argued for a proper fee for NUST was because it had "politcial" aspirations and therefore could be influenced wrongly by makems etc if there wasnt a membership fee. At the same time you need some sort of fee to allow you to negotiate discounts with travel firms etc and organise events.

Anyone know if theres any pubs for sale?

Good things come to those who wait :(

Im sure there will be some local Landlord who would let you use a function room if your going to guarantee a canny turn out.

Think you just have to keep in mind to start small and establish solid foundations.

I dont know who the "we" you refer to is, but I still think having a pre match drinks or even a pre match bite in stowell street with the Arsenal boys would be worthwhile and Im sure they would be only too happy to have a chat.

The link I posted earlier is the contact emails for the lads running it and Im sure a few of them will be up tomorrow.

Anyway, good luck with it and any help I can be, practical or financial, give me a shout.

I would think a decent website would be a good start to allow for registration, info etc.

Would be nice if Toontastic could be the forum of the Supporters club as it would probably be of benefit to both. Im sure there will pluses and minus's to that.

Good luck.

Don't know. I am always impressed by the Barca and Benfica supporters clubs, but I think they are more 'involved' with their respective clubs than this plan seems - not to mention their subs going towards each club respectively.

I probably would. As long as they had pie and pea suppers.

Gets me thinking about Club International which is always a nice tought :(

Don't know. I am always impressed by the Barca and Benfica supporters clubs, but I think they are more 'involved' with their respective clubs than this plan seems - not to mention their subs going towards each club respectively.

I probably would. As long as they had pie and pea suppers.

Gets me thinking about Club International which is always a nice tought :rolleyes:

:(

The thing is though if you get an organised group of supporters it will get 'political' at some point. ( I don't mean like neo-nazi ultras or anything).

But for example in terms of a boycot of the club following a sacking or selling etc an organised group can effect real influece and possibly change. I can't imagine that many pro-Ashley NUFC fans exist and as such a supporters club would inevitably have a lot of the most passionate fans active in it.

I say make a supporters club but don't tie its hands, let it operate like a union in the interests of its members, and thus if fans truly want to protest something then it can be far more organised, impressive and effective than writin on a bedsheet. The NUST is a noble idea, and there's no reason a supporters club couldn't work with it, and the club as and when appropriate.

BUT most important you have to get a card and badge.

Some really good opinions, and I think most of us are singing from the same hymn sheet.

As Ive said I'm up for being involved, and I think maybe a few of us need to put our heads together and get cracking on this.

Let's bring back NUSC and run it how it openly and democratically.

I think the emphasis should be on the social side, but I think inevitably there's going to be a poltical element that creeps in. I don't think thats too much of a problem, provided the committee listens to and engages with it's members, and I think Peter's ideas of polls are a fantastic idea.

I like the idea of our own pub or club as well.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Some really good opinions, and I think most of us are singing from the same hymn sheet.

As Ive said I'm up for being involved, and I think maybe a few of us need to put our heads together and get cracking on this.

I think the emphasis should be on the social side, but I think inevitably there's going to be a poltical element that creeps in. I don't think thats too much of a problem, provided the committee listens to and engages with it's members, and I think Peter's ideas of polls are a fantastic idea.

Bad move imo. Fresh start fresh name or confusion will reign.

Bad move imo. Fresh start fresh name or confusion will reign.

Aye maybe. Any ideas?

needs a new name, a totally new start, a fresh and utterly open plan with no agenda or ego clouding the issue - it needs also to have direct and open contact with the club imho - it has to be by supporters, for the supporters with an olive branch to the club - there is a link that is missing from the club to fans - they just don;t get it sometimes but there are people within the club who do know this and would help i am sure - there are also those who would have their agenda that need to be involved and kept in the loop who would encourage and support and getting them all around the same table would be difficult but not impossible as NUSC very nearly did for a time

NUST is now irrelevant to the rank and file but a solid supporters movement would not be

needs a new name, a totally new start, a fresh and utterly open plan with no agenda or ego clouding the issue - it needs also to have direct and open contact with the club imho - it has to be by supporters, for the supporters with an olive branch to the club - there is a link that is missing from the club to fans - they just don;t get it sometimes but there are people within the club who do know this and would help i am sure - there are also those who would have their agenda that need to be involved and kept in the loop who would encourage and support and getting them all around the same table would be difficult but not impossible as NUSC very nearly did for a time

NUST is now irrelevant to the rank and file but a solid supporters movement would not be

Agree with all of that post I would just caution about taking the club side slowly. By all means make contact, introduce the club etc but lets concentrate on establishing the fan side first. I am sure you are right and their are personell where inroads to the club can be made but I think it wants to be down the road before they try starting to get meetings with Llambias.

With regard to the name imo it just wants to be something simple like Black & White or Toon Army or Toontastic :( or NE1 or The Toon etc etc??

Agree with all of that post I would just caution about taking the club side slowly. By all means make contact, introduce the club etc but lets concentrate on establishing the fan side first. I am sure you are right and their are personell where inroads to the club can be made but I think it wants to be down the road before they try starting to get meetings with Llambias.

With regard to the name imo it just wants to be something simple like Black & White or Toon Army or Toontastic :( or NE1 or The Toon etc etc??

agreed about get it right with fans first - that has to be the crux of it - but not be shy from interaction with the club at the right time

The Magpie Association ?

The Magpie Club ?

The Robson Club ?

Club Newcastle ?

Nothing with 'Toon' in, for me.

Subs @ £5 or £10 a season with any outstanding monies being given to the Bobby Robson Foundation each year?

Hey, these are only suggestions lads.

Had a chat with a few people today some of whom have also been in touch with people and it seems a lot of people are up for doing this. At some point though, I think all interested parties are going to have to sit down and have a chat just to see where we all are and what we all want and get the wheels in motion.

Voted 'yes', mainly because I quite like the idea of it. Wouldn't be interested if it had anything to do with NUST though because, quite frankly, I wouldn't trust them with my subs.

Just don't call it the Association of Newcastle United Supporters.

Definately needs Newcastle United in there in my humble opinion, not toon or magpies.

What about Newcastle United Fans Club? (NUFC :razz: )

Well I had been thinking Trans-World Associaton of Toon Supporters.

Not sure we could use NUFC.

Other options

Newcastle United Supporters Association

Newcastle United Supporters Union