Cricket World Cup

paulwynuk42NUFC

Destroyed by Shahid Afridi in the end. I'm glad, that team was about as Canadian as my arse. At least the Irish team are Irish.

Any more good individual performances and theres a chance 1 or 2 might be English soon!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Destroyed by Shahid Afridi in the end. I'm glad, that team was about as Canadian as my arse. At least the Irish team are Irish.

Racist.

Any more good individual performances and theres a chance 1 or 2 might be English soon!

If they're Irish they'd never cross over :icon_lol:

:D Like Ed Joyce?

it should be noted I know nothing about cricket :D

Constantly annoy the lad in the office who follows it by asking "are England losing" who then tries to tell me about overs and outs and balls and what not.

can you just chop and change between countries at will then? or is there a cooling off period like football where you've to not be selected for a while.

Not exactly but if you're Irish, for example, you would qualify for England (because Ireland don't have a test side). So the 'ideal' progression would be play for Ireland then, if you're good enough (in theory), go onto play for England. Ed Joyce did this but because he fell out of favour with the England selectors he opted to play for Ireland again. It normally takes 4 years to qualify again but he was fast-tracked by the ICC (like Fifa basically) because they want to help lesser (i.e. non-Test playing) nations to progress. Fair enough because he's Irish-born and bred. Gavin Hamilton went down a similar route, without the dispensation so took four years to re-qualify (but he played for Scotland-England-Scotland).

Btw, Ireland beating England was a fantastic achievement because really they aren't as good on paper as a First Class County side, let alone one of the top test-playing nations. It was made even more amazing by the amount of runs they needed to score in order to do it.

Ahhh so sort of the same but allowances made, fair enough and sensible... couldn't see FIFA doing the same.

Ireland played the West Indies at Stormont a few years back, i was watching the lads i work with playing football instead (was injured so wasn't playing myself).

Cricketer standing beside me for an hour watching the game, chatted a bit, didn't have a clue who he was.

I thought nothing off it till i got back to the office and one lad was "well what was he like, did he say much??"

It was Brian Lara :D

Aye, I know they play at Stormont (as well as Dublin). Lara is an absolute legend like.

Can we please make our mind up. Are we shit or potential winners? :(

We're both!

If we bat well, we don't bowl well and if we bowl well we don't bat well! But one thing about this England team at all levels is when they have a bad performance they always respond and come back fighting, they did it to the aussies in the tests and they've done it twice here going from Holland to India and Ireland to S africa! There is plenty of character there and on their day they can beat anyone, so who knows where we'll end up in this tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats the crack now then? Bangladesh and West Indies have to win their last matches for us to go out?

Aye.

If they draw it goes down to net run rates, I think.

We should be alright though

I think a Bangladesh win and a Windies N/R or tie would send us out. Other way round I think we go through as we have a better net R/R than Bangladesh.