Top Gear 'races'

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

didn't say it was a one off, but did mention that it cost £5m to make each

also that flat out it ate all the petrol in it's tank in twelve minutes...

and that if the Mclaren F1 was travelling at 140 (iirc) the bugatti would still beat it to 240

nice vehicle and I even found the aesthetics of it all, quite beautiful.

that Marcos was.. I don't know it sort of reminded me of an old citroen and at the same time a TVR... I didn't like the look of the front, the lights weren't aggressive enough for the rest of the machine.

didn't say it was a one off, but did mention that it cost £5m to make each

also that flat out it ate all the petrol in it's tank in twelve minutes...

and that if the Mclaren F1 was travelling at 140 (iirc) the bugatti would still beat it to 240

nice vehicle and I even found the aesthetics of it all, quite beautiful.

that Marcos was.. I don't know it sort of reminded me of an old citroen and at the same time a TVR... I didn't like the look of the front, the lights weren't aggressive enough for the rest of the machine.

66913[/snapback]

I know fuck all about cars, but a mate was round tonight and was telling me about the Bugatti after seeing it on Top Gear.

Apparently some bloke (owner/manager/whatever) announced they were making it before discussing it with the engineers. When he eventually spoke to them they said it couldn't be done, but he told them to get on with it anyway. He then went public with one of the early designs which was an aerodynamic nightmare. But since he'd announced it, they had to make the impossible car fit that strange design.

looked canny like.

They're clearly staged but they do make good tv.

66882[/snapback]

Staged?

What on god's green earth are you on about?

Would they go to the expense of all of that just to stage it? I'm not so sure.

The car was a beast like, i thought at the very start Clarkson said it costs 847,000 quid to buy but it costs 5 mill to make so something doesn't add up?

And why is it that it's always Clarkson in the driving seat in these races, i know that old bloke drives like Wacky Jnr but the short arse, teeth whitening fanatic doesn't get a look in either, he just got to sit in the back of a light aircraft.

Would they go to the expense of all of that just to stage it? I'm not so sure.

66957[/snapback]

Why would they go to that expense if the plane went all the way, they won by a country mile and the segment just made boring TV and didn't heap praise on the vehicle intended?

Smoothy, the car was a technical exercise, was it possible to make a car that could go that fast, that hard and that sexy?

the answer is an incredibly excpensive machine which is simply the best four wheeled machine on the planet, even beating a Nova with a tin can exhaust and a shoddy-kit

Clarkson drives because he's the most capable driver, and also I'm guessing he's the biggest ego on the show and would throw a hissy fit of AF proportions if he wasn't allowed to play in the nice new car.