Hughton v Pardew

Irrelevant Nick KP

Guest alex

So your conclusion based on this stat is that you can't draw conclusions based on this stat? Glad it only took 3 pages to find that out. You'll never be a Fop. In fact, you'll do well to match CT at this rate.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is indeed my conclusion, alex.

But I can draw an 'indication' from it, and that indication is that both managers are quite even.

Which I consider to be food for optimism. Since we all know that Hughton was doing an excellent job, that also means that Pardew appears to be doing an excellent job too. But remember, only indications, not conclusions.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

I posted it because I think it plays a part in the discussion about who is better of Hughton or Pardew.

At the moment it suggests that they are very even, nothing else.

And notice, I say 'suggests' not proves.

I am only after the truth.

I hope Pardew is better, since he is the current manager, but in no way do I think this stat proves anything of the sort, and I never have.

What's the points ratio to pounds spent? That's the kind of stat we need.

ewerk then we'd have to work out exactly how much had been spent, but that info is hard to find.

However, in this case, it is obvious that Pardew would win, because of one particular transfer, namely that of Carroll. But if you want exact figures, I repeat, very hard to find the necessary info.

ewerk then we'd have to work out exactly how much had been spent, but that info is hard to find.

However, in this case, it is obvious that Pardew would win, because of one particular transfer, namely that of Carroll. But if you want exact figures, I repeat, very hard to find the necessary info.

Not that hard....

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...9&hl=ashley

also tbf to pardew he has suffered from not having Andy Carroll during his current reign, our top striker, and he has had to deal without the use of Ben arfa, I know only got 4 games in but still won us 3 points v everton. and arguably the second half of season is full of injuries etc and much harder! I still think I like hughton more tho

I still don't see the point in working it out to the pound, when we already know that Pardew would win hands down. :lol:

You really have to work on your comma use, mate. It's driving me crazy.

Look, two independent clauses (that is, parts of a sentence that could grammatically stand on their own) cannot be joined by a comma. A comma is used to join a dependent clause to an independent clause if the def. comes first. For two independent clauses, you have to use conjunctions or a semicolon.

Considering we already know that Pardew would win hands down, I don't see the point in working it out to the pound.

OR

I still don't see the point in working it out to the pound when we already know that Pardew would win hands down.

OR

I still don't see the point in working it out to the pound; we already know that Pardew would win hands down.

The content of your posts is bad enough without having to look at those awful superfluous commas staring out at me like tiny wisdom teeth and tearing into my cerebral cortex. Sort it out. :D

I still don't see the point in working it out to the pound, when we already know that Pardew would win hands down. :lol:

You really have to work on your comma use, mate. It's driving me crazy.

Look, two independent clauses (that is, parts of a sentence that could grammatically stand on their own) cannot be joined by a comma. A comma is used to join a dependent clause to an independent clause if the def. comes first. For two independent clauses, you have to use conjunctions or a semicolon.

Considering we already know that Pardew would win hands down, I don't see the point in working it out to the pound.

OR

I still don't see the point in working it out to the pound when we already know that Pardew would win hands down.

OR

I still don't see the point in working it out to the pound; we already know that Pardew would win hands down.

The content of your posts is bad enough without having to look at those awful superfluous commas staring out at me like tiny wisdom teeth and tearing into my cerebral cortex. Sort it out. :D

acrsoothepond a clause that starts with 'when' is a sub-ordinate clause.

(How could a clause that starts with 'when' possibly be on its own, you nugget?)

Subordinate clauses are joined by subordinate conjunctions like 'when' for example.

Independent clauses (or main clauses, which I have always called them) will be joined by 'and', 'but' or 'or'.

A subordinate clause (which starts with 'when') DOES contain a finite verb, and that might be why you mistook it for an independent clause). There is also another category, namely the phrase which isn't a clause.

Forexample, Seeing his car gone, John called the police.

The above sentence has a main clause at the end, but the underlined part doesn't qualify as a clause at all (not even as a subordinate clause). It's a phrase, since it doesn't contain a finite verb (a verb in present simple, or past simeple).

You probably thought that my subordinate clause was independent, because it contained a finite verb.

Yes, it is a clause, but it doesn't quality as an independent clause, unless it contains a finite verb.

acrsoothepond a clause that starts with 'when' is a sub-ordinate clause.

(How could a clase that starts with 'when' possibly be on its own, you nugget?)

Subordinate clauses are joined by subordinate conjunctions like 'when' for example.

Independent clauses (or main clauses, which I have always called them) will be joined by 'and', 'but' or 'or'.

The clause didn't start with 'when'. 'When' is the conjunction. 'We already know that Pardew would win hands down' is an independent clause and can't be joined to the previous clause with a comma whether or not you include 'when.'

Both of the red clauses are independent. 'When' can join them, but a comma cannot. That's a comma splice.

I wonder if this is just more of your trolling or if you genuinely don't know grammar but think you do.

(What may be pedantry to you is the stuff of life and death to my students, Chez. I am infamous for the brutal strokes of red that cut a swath through the hazy constructions and usage of passive voice that they offer me, hoping I will 'go easy' this time because their English teachers don't even cover grammar any more. :lol: )

acrossthepond

'when' is a subordinating conjunction.

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/subordinateclause.htm

A subordinate clause (which starts with 'when') DOES contain a finite verb, and that might be why you mistook it for an independent clause). There is also another category, namely the phrase, which isn't a clause.

The above sentence has a main clause at the end, but the underlined part doesn't qualify as a clause at all (not even as a subordinate clause). It's a phrase, since it doesn't contain a finite verb (a verb in present simple, or past simeple).

You probably thought that my subordinate clause was independent, because it contained a finite verb.

Yes, it is a clause, but it doesn't quality as an independent clause, unless it contains a finite verb.

acrossthepond

A subordinate clause (which starts with 'when') DOES contain a finite verb, and that might be why you mistook it for an independent clause). There is also another category, namely the phrase, which isn't a clause.

Ant, I didn't start it. I think it's really pathetic to correct people's language outside the classroom.

But when someone does it, and they are wrong, I will answer them back.

acrossthepond

Yes, it is a clause, but it doesn't quality as an independent clause, if it starts with, for example, 'when'.