SWTOR

TheMoog

I've been having a pop at the Beta weekend, tried both Smuggler and Sith Warrior. Got to say the Sith seemed easier to get to grips with, the starting area seemed more linear and directed but also sadly seemed to have been inhabited by more kids and immature players though. In general the game seemed pretty good, they've taken a lot of obvious tips from WoW and other successful MMOs and add more story to it, it's right that it's nothing particularly new but it's an improvement on the tied game that is WoW imo.

We'll see how things go with the early release...

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair beta is beta, that said though if you're not an mmo player it probably won't appeal - unless you're an uber Star Wars geek. From an mmo point of view it's great, certainly a contender for World of Warcraft's crown, the only downside I've seen so far in the pre-order early start is the queuing to get in to the game on more popular servers. Bioware's working hard to tidy up any loose ends and newly found bugs as they go but that's to be expected of a new mmo.

As long as they bring the queues down I think this is a game to be going on with.

Oh I agree from a game pov I think its definitely the most credible contender to the WoW crown. MMOs have never grabbed me though, tried wow when cataclysm came out and beta for this and I'm just not sold

tried wow too late

WoW wasn't bad when it first game out and then even not awful for the first expansion, after that it became massively repetitive and much to easy to get gear etc

Not only that, it became over-simplified, too easy and generally catering to kids. So far SWTOR seems much improved... however, there's a big issue with the server queues right now. While I'm pretty patient it's a bit off having to queue for anything up to 4-5 hours to get in to a game. I'm hoping it's resolved asap but I guess it's just a teething problem for now.

• 3 months later...

Anyone stick with this? Was good at first but I seemed to tire quickly. Going to have another look with patch 1.2 hits. They have population issues and need to merge servers to make pvp any good. Also needs open world pvp zones worth visiting. Some of the stuff in 1.2 seems canny but not sure how long it would keep me there.

Got a free weekend pass from a mate, but i just didn't get into it. Not a bad game or anything, but if i wanted to play a WoW type game, I'll just play WoW. Guild Wars 2 is coming this year, and at least that looks if its trying new ideas.

Anyone stick with this? Was good at first but I seemed to tire quickly. Going to have another look with patch 1.2 hits. They have population issues and need to merge servers to make pvp any good. Also needs open world pvp zones worth visiting. Some of the stuff in 1.2 seems canny but not sure how long it would keep me there.

I'm still playing it, though not as frequently as early on. They've made leaps and bounds in the first couple of months, I think the initial plan has been to get something playable out to the masses and then quickly add content and guts to the game which they seem to be doing. The next big patch (1.2) will undoubtedly be the next giant leap for the game, it's vastly improved on WoW's slow progression over the years and the developers actually seem to listen to the players for new innovations. I've probably stuck with it all the more through being an uber Star Wars fan but I've tried both factions now, Sith and Republic and both have their pros and cons, the only ongoing issue within the game that I see has been mentioned already is the server populations, it can be a little sparse on some of the servers sometimes and there isn't an option for transferring characters between servers yet.

The look, the feel, the difficulty level and playability are all there and being improved on regularly, plus there's the added bonus of being Star Wars, I think it'll be one of those games where it'll change massively in the next 9-12 months and imo is already superior to WoW. If you want an good MMO then this is one of the better ones right now, it just helps if you're a Star Wars geek like me.