Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's right to boo an individual and I don't do it myself but I find it hard to argue against anyones right to do so when they pay the money that they do to watch.

I also think it's hard to not to groan when a player fucks up. It's just an instinctive reaction a lot of the time. It certainly won't help the players but I think it's very difficult to avoid.

With more specfic regards to Obertan, the big worry for me is not that he looks like he lacks the ability to do well but the bottle which I don't think is something that can be improved on over time. If you are a lazy gutless twat at 22, I think it's unlikely that you will ever be anything else. I hope I'm wrong about him but this is certianly the impression he's giving me at the moment.

Paying your money doesn't entitle anyone to be a prick really

I pay to see a comedian, it doesn't give me the right to heckle the act and spoil if for everyone else....though many people think it does.

But if your paying for a product that doesn't come up to scratch you're entitled to be disapointed and kick up a fuss. And if it's a comedian that can't be arsed to tell any jokes then he does deserve all he gets.

As I say it's not something I would do (although I did once to Parker when he bottled a tackle then had a go at the fans that chastised him for it) as I'm there to support my team regardless of which overpayed useless lazy twats are playing currently for it.

Think it's just a case of loads of people who go to the match are fucking clueless tbh. They think it is their right to moan etc. if they want to and they're probably completely oblivious to the fact it's hindering the team they're meant to be supporting too. With a lot of people it's clearly not completely instinctive as they give certain players carte blanche whereas others get howls of derision the first time they do something wrong. I think it's that which I find most annoying tbh. I know some players earn that amnesty be playing well most of the time etc. but it still boils my piss. I've never rated Shola but I've defended him and others at times at the match when the criticism has be totally out of proportion. DK is right when he says it's inevitable like.

Another thing that used to annoy me with the people that sat behind me was that they took each part of the game out of context. For example they'd have a go at a player for blowing out of his arse even if he'd just made two 80 yard sprints in the last 3 miniutes. I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing at times :lol:

Another thing that used to annoy me with the people that sat behind me was that they took each part of the game out of context. For example they'd have a go at a player for blowing out of his arse even if he'd just made two 80 yard sprints in the last 3 miniutes. I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing at times :lol:

I do that to Taylor like. He desrves it though, prick shouldn't be making 80 yard runs ;)

5 wins, 4 draws not up to scratch like?

I was making a generallisation rather than saying anything specific about the current circumstances.

If for example I was inclined to boo the team at half time on Saturday after a poor first half, I would expect our current run to be enough stop those boos (which for the most part it was).

Another thing that used to annoy me with the people that sat behind me was that they took each part of the game out of context. For example they'd have a go at a player for blowing out of his arse even if he'd just made two 80 yard sprints in the last 3 miniutes. I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing at times

I do that to Taylor like. He desrves it though, prick shouldn't be making 80 yard runs ;)

It's Taylor so I'll let you off :D

That's a slightly different thing anyway as I'm sure you appreciate. People groaning when attempting something difficult that doesn't come off is another one. I genuinely don't think they know wtf the player was even attempting half the time either. I do miss the banter at the match though at the same time.

Another thing that used to annoy me with the people that sat behind me was that they took each part of the game out of context. For example they'd have a go at a player for blowing out of his arse even if he'd just made two 80 yard sprints in the last 3 miniutes. I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing at times

It's Taylor so I'll let you off :D

That's a slightly different thing anyway as I'm sure you appreciate. People groaning when attempting something difficult that doesn't come off is another one. I genuinely don't think they know wtf the player was even attempting half the time either. I do miss the banter at the match though at the same time.

Dunno if it's the form we're in but I'm REALLY enjoying the new seats. It's good we seem to have 4 or 5 rows of lads getting used to the same seats, ripping the piss out of each other back and forth. They're all good lads, but someone will always misread something or other on the pitch and say something daft, like "good lad Shola", so they get told to pipe down in a friendly way.

You don't really get that standing in the corner cos there's always different people about.. You tend to largely chat only amongst your own group.

Edited by Happy Face

5 wins, 4 draws not up to scratch like?

I was making a generallisation rather than saying anything specific about the current circumstances.

If for example I was inclined to boo the team at half time on Saturday after a poor first half, I would expect our current run to be enough stop those boos (which for the most part it was).

I know you were generalising, it wasnt really aimed at you. Neither is the rest of this post, am just making it to see how far it stands up tbh.

Booing is conceited and arrogant.

Why do you primarily pay to go to the match? To be entertained or to follow the fortunes of your club first hand? What do we all want for our club first and foremost, that they play beautifully or that they are successful?

If the club (and this is true in our case) represents the city and its people then the success of the club is something we all feel part of and can be proud of. The notion of playing beautifully and doing all this in style is nice but its not fundamental to why we follow the club. If Barcelona, Man City etc turn up, the house is full but its not full of people demanding expansive football, its full of people hoping we might pull off a result. The primacy of the result in the face of bigger and better opposition for me proves the point, its results that drive us. Expecting us in our current situation to be delivering results with beauty is conceited.

The booing of a player says i believe we are going to win anyway (it obviously isnt considered to put us getting a result at risk) but believe we are big enough for the winning to be taken for granted and for me to express my disgust at the manner of the performance. Or it says the entertainment value is more important to me than the result. Booing a player is only going to cause a negative impact otherwise why do supporters cheer a team on? The choice to boo, is the choice of saying my entertainment is more important than the satisfaction of the majority who go to see their club do well. Anyone with half a brain knows booing has a negative impact but doing it anyway says 'my right to express this trumps the collective desire for us to succeed'. This is the arrogance.

Its not going to stop people but i think there is a strong argument that needs to be made to anyone who thinks they are within their rights or rational to do it. The basic reality when explaining all people's behaviour is that they do things that they want to do because it pleases them. People enjoy moaning, thats why they do it and we all know moaners are lifes wankers. Yes you may have the right but you cant pretend that the right excuses you from being defined as a wanker. The boo'er is unarguably a wanker.

Me and Papa Laz have had this discussion before but who the fuck actually boos anyway? I mean, you're a grown man and you're booing ffs :lol: Have a word with yourself. Screaming at the ref and the opposition and whistles of derision at the ref, i.e. all the stuff I do, are ok like. Joking apart though, they are.

Edited by alex

Me and Papa Laz have had this discussion before but who the fuck actually boos anyway? I mean, you're a grown man and you're booing ffs :lol: Have a word with yourself. Screaming at the ref and the opposition and whistles of derision at the ref, i.e. all the stuff I do, are ok like. Joking apart though, they are.

I always go "yaboo!" when getting on the back of the ref/opposition, just so people know I'm being ironic, post modern and hip.....like tiny Andy Collings.

Screaming at the ref that the cunt needs a pair of glasses only to see some hours later on MOTD that it wasnt a penalty at all is perfectly fine, of course alex.

That's what I always told myself anyway.

Would booing a player who wasn't putting the right amount of effort in and therefor harming the team (through inaction rather lack of ability on his part) not be considered contructive and as such a noble unselfish act on behalf of the booer?

Would booing a player who wasn't putting the right amount of effort in and therefor harming the team (through inaction rather lack of ability on his part) not be considered contructive and as such a noble unselfish act on behalf of the booer?

If someone isn't putting the effort in or ducks out of a 50/50 I can understand it a bit more as that sort of thing is the bare minimum of what players should do on the pitch.

If someone isn't putting the effort in or ducks out of a 50/50 I can understand it a bit more as that sort of thing is the bare minimum of what players should do on the pitch.

Its the one time i can see an instinctive reaction from fans being understandable if a player bottles something or completely gives up a chase/doesn't try etc. Because we are paying good money and they're earning shitloads so like you say the minimum you should get is 100% effort and commitment.

Other than that i just don't get it, it sounds ludicrous adults booing, it achieves fuck all other than making a shit negative atmosphere which makes the player (or team) worse and you compare it to say the whole ground going mental at some shit refereeing it suddenly fires everyone up and can get an atmosphere going. So as Alex says, scream abuse at the opposition and officials but leave our own players out of it!!

Agree booing is pathetic but can undersatand peoples frustration and wanting to make their feelings noted.

If managers have what I think is a blind spot about a player, the fans do I suppose have a right to try and influence him - it's a toughie as applause in appreciation of effort (I think he does try) is fair enough but shouldn't mask the fact that the bloke is crap.

Guest Your Name Here

Football has always had a touch of pantomime, heroes and villains etc. And there has always been an element of the support that has to single out a player as being terminally shite and therefore fair game for abuse and ridicule. Booing is OTT but the players need to have thicker skins and rise to the challenge, unless of course they are terminally shite and shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team.

They might not like it but the panto factor is part of what makes football more than a sport.

Football has always had a touch of pantomime, heroes and villains etc. And there has always been an element of the support that has to single out a player as being terminally shite and therefore fair game for abuse and ridicule. Booing is OTT but the players need to have thicker skins and rise to the challenge, unless of course they are terminally shite and shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team.

They might not like it but the panto factor is part of what makes football more than a sport.

Fuck off Widow Twankey.