Jack Charlton

JawD

Had the pleasure of sitting next to him at a charity dinner last night. Loosing his marbles a bit but what a cracking bloke. Had me in stitches at times but it was interesting when getting him talking about his past etc. Said as bairns he used to support NUFC and bobby SAFC. His uncle would take Bobby to see SAFC and Jack refused to go. Said he never stepped into Roker Park until he played for Leeds. Then had a sudden outburst "Ah Fucking hate Sunderland".

Also spoke highly of Jackie Milburn. Saying he used to take him to the game and back home again (at NUFC).

Reckoned at best he was earning £380 a week.

He's getting on like, mid 70's now and the old grey matter is fading.

I asked him about what he thought of the current ownership but all I got fro him was "hard to knock them when we are where we are". From that we somehow got on to diving or going down easy in relation to the pen against City. Said he used to always tell his players to do that. Never aim to run past the player, just close enough to them and go down.

Says he still gets wrang off his lass for having the odd tab and goes to the bottom of his garden and sneaks one behind some of the bushes there :lol:

He still gets to matches, mostly Leeds, Boro, NUFC and SAFC. Goes to the SAFC games whenever Bobby is up here playing them with Man Utd. Oh and still plays golf, once a year all the '66 players get together for a game.

Sound bloke.

"In the days following the Liechtenstein debacle, instead of grimly getting their heads down and preparing to kick some Austrian ass, the Irish squad had been boozing hard in various rural retreats, culminating in a visit to Harry Ramsden’s fish and chips outlet on the Naas Road (which Charlton part-owned).

There, they had accepted the Harry Ramsden Challenge. Each of them devoured plates of chips the size of satellite dishes with baby whale-sized pieces of cod balancing on top. The result was a nice photo-opportunity that was all over the following day’s papers.

Now the effects of that chaotic week of booze and junk food were eroding the players’ guts like toxic waste, as they staggered around the Lansdowne pitch like mortally wounded geriatrics. They simply could not move. Austria, a useless team, eventually realised what was happening, charged up the other end and gleefully rattled in three quick goals for their first significant away win in years.

‘‘I liked the fish and chips, and the players liked the fish and chips,” Charlton babbled afterwards in a brave defence of his unorthodox team-bonding stratagem."

fucking useless here.

Aye, although I quite like him despite that. Always good value too, like re: Rijkaard "I'm he'd spat on me I'd have chinned him". :D

We're all part of jackies army we're all off to Italy, ITALYl! (i think it's win the league but that doesn't sound right imo)

top man, likes fishing, can't do it in ireland gets hassled too much apparently :D

Remember that so well, especially Bonner's face before he takes that kick, looks like he's gonna kill someone with it :D