This American Life

dbsweeney

I like podcasts, usually a mix of current affairs, commentary on current news, music, film and football. I listen to them while driving or when I doing stuff at work that doesn't require my full attention.

If you start being interested in podcasts, one that you hear a lot about is 'This American Life'.

As Wiki says: ''This American Life is a weekly hour-long radio program produced by WBEZ and hosted by Ira Glass. It is distributed by Public Radio International on PRI affiliate stations and is also available as a free weekly podcast. Primarily a journalistic non-fiction program, it has also featured essays, memoirs, field recordings, short fiction, and found footage.'

The reason you hear a lot about it is that it's very popular, with around about 900 000 downloads for each weekly program. For a long time, I resisted trying it out. I'm an idiot who doesn't like to follow trends. But anyway, I finally downloaded an episode last year and immediately I was hooked. So, so interesting, entertaining, funny, curious and informative.

Anyway, why am I telling you about this now? I've just heard the latest episode, titled 'Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory', and I was truly astounded by it. While laugh-out-loud funny at moments, it is deeply, deeply disturbing.

While I don't want to be a ranter on a soapbox, I really think that people should listen to this episode. You think it's about something you already know the story of (How and where are our everyday electronics made?), but you don't even know the half of it.

The episode will only be around till 14 January 2012, so try to download it as soon as possible. Go to: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/

Edited by dbsweeney

• 5 months later...

Can I fuck find the catch all threads on podcasts, so this is going in here.

If you like to laugh, listen to Bill Burr's podcast. I just started listening to it this week and it's comfortably the funniest podcast I listen to.

It's called Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast.