Whitechapel

jonasjuice

Have had to go there several times with work. Have been all over the city but this is the only tube station I've come out of where there's a permanent "Warning muggers operate in this area" sign hanging above the entrance.

As others have said it's well connected but living there? No thanks.

it's funny how many say that, and yet many parts of london are no different to many suburbs in other towns. where i live in east dulwich is not unlike living in jesmond or equivilent villagey middle class areas in Manchester/Sheffield/Leeds/Brum/Bristol etc etc.

most of my mates from back home are all like " eeeeh man, I divvent knah how ya can live doon there like"

but then their impression of london is mainly based on the grotty touristy areas they visit when down to see the match.

a short hop out of zone one and the picture is very different. there are loads of nice places to live down here. who goes into zone one when not working anyway? my first few years of living in london aside, i could count the number of times i go into the west end in a year on one hand.

He meant specifically Whitechapel like. ;) You're not wrong about how living here makes a massive difference to your perception of the place as a whole though.

I did indeed. And as was pointed out earlier in the thread (by Fish I think) it's only a stone's throw from Liverpool Street and the City which is a completely different place altogether.

I don't know what it is about Whitechapel but there is a sense of intimidation that you don't have only a few streets away.

Dave I don't doubt that those signs are at other stations. I've just not been to them I guess.

He meant specifically Whitechapel like. ;) You're not wrong about how living here makes a massive difference to your perception of the place as a whole though.

I did indeed. And as was pointed out earlier in the thread (by Fish I think) it's only a stone's throw from Liverpool Street and the City which is a completely different place altogether.

I don't know what it is about Whitechapel but there is a sense of intimidation that you don't have only a few streets away.

Dave I don't doubt that those signs are at other stations. I've just not been to them I guess.

ah, sorry. misread that. thought you were talking about london in general.

my previous response comes from having that same conversation with old mates every time i'm up for christmas. it's annoying when someone assumes your entire life must reflect what they see on their biannual crawl around the bars of leicester square and covent garden.

Nah mate I live in Watford and spend a good deal of my working life hopping around the boroughs of London. That issue you talk of is common place no matter of where you are in the country talking about another area.

When I first went to uni there was one bloke who assumed it was always dark and dingy in the North East because everything we have is coal powered. When he didn't crack into a smile I realised he was deadly serious!!

a short hop out of zone one and the picture is very different. there are loads of nice places to live down here. who goes into zone one when not working anyway? my first few years of living in london aside, i could count the number of times i go into the west end in a year on one hand.

The West End is a write-off all summer. It does have a Bodean's though.

Lived in a few places now but the most grim was easily the Isle of Dogs. Nicest is where I am now between Primrose Hill and Belsize Park but the property prices are just ludicrous.

Like people say, Whitechapel is a bit of a dump but close enough to lot's of places.

I'm a zone one man myself (Tower Hill - which also has a Bodeans!) as I cannot stand commuting. Being able to walk to work is brilliant although I can understand why people want to live a bit further outside.

We can't all be lah di dah Primrose Hill types like Matt though hob nobbing with the likes of Jude and Sienna and what not.

Edited by Billy Whitehurst

We can't all be lah di dah Primrose Hill types like Matt though hob nobbing with the likes of Jude and Sienna and what not.

Well, given an imminent move back East, nor can I anymore!

A couple of my friends share a flat on Regents Park Road in Primrose Hill, that place is summat else (re Sunshine Fanny thread).

The West End is a write-off all summer. It does have a Bodean's though.

Lived in a few places now but the most grim was easily the Isle of Dogs. Nicest is where I am now between Primrose Hill and Belsize Park but the property prices are just ludicrous.

Bodean's is worth living in London for alone