Discrimination - competition only open to females

ajax_andy

I was quite shocked yesterday to discover that a competition I wanted to enter was only open to women... The competition is to take a paragraph written by an author (they give you this paragraph) and then you have to complete the chapter in 800 -1000 words.

The winner gets £1000 and all sorts of goodies, and gets to hob knob with a load of literary types / agents etc at an awards do.

There's absolutely no reason why this competition should only be open to women, and personally I would like to enter it. I have written a few short stories and 25,000 words of a novel so far, and so creative writing is certainly something I enjoy doing... so why is this competition only open to women? Surely the content of the submission is all that matters?!

I can understand that certain things in some cases can be gender specific, however this isn't one of them! Imagine a competition that was only open to white people, or god forbid men... there'd be hell on about it.

Has anyone else come across sexist discrimination against us men before... is this a worrying trend?

Oh yeah I'm still gonna enter although you have to submit a passport photo of yourself, so I need to persuade a female I know to give me one of theirs. Completely ridiculous though that they can stipulate it's only open to females!

You can also combine your love of photography and make a quick bob out of LBT - take a few mangina snaps and he'll take them off your hands.

"You are a very naughty stewardess. Let's join the mile high club, you can be the penetrator."

It would be headline news the other way round but I think the sexism row is mainly a one way argument. It's only really sexist if it's a man discriminating against a woman. ;)

It would be headline news the other way round but I think the sexism row is mainly a one way argument. It's only really sexist if it's a man discriminating against a woman. ;)

Yeah exactly, but it's totally double standards.

I'm going to make sure I win it now so that I can then bitch and moan to the papers about being disqualified for being the wrong gender.

Yeah exactly, but it's totally double standards.

I'm going to make sure I win it now so that I can then bitch and moan to the papers about being disqualified for being the wrong gender.

Start a fake competition on twitter with the same prize ''MEN ONLY'' and see if you can get it trending.

Watch how quickly it turns to...

simpsons_torch_mob_RE_Holy_skill_me_now_Were_being_taken_over_by_tasteless_tweens-s500x425-177549.jpg

What's your novel about btw?

It's a sci-fi epic set in a future society where reality tv companies rule the world. It also looks at how we have become desensitised to violence and how the most ridiculous of low end society are the stars of tv.

Plus lots of gun fights, explosions and swearing :)

Think Geordie Shore meets The Running Man lol

Edited by ajax_andy

I was reading an article on how men in the BBC earn 10% more than women and the article put it down to sexism, could it not be possible that they are simply doing a better job?

Again reverse the roles & I would expect the latter to be excepted & the former scoffed at.

It's a sci-fi epic set in a future society where reality tv companies rule the world. It also looks at how we have become desensitised to violence and how the most ridiculous of low end society are the stars of tv.

Plus lots of gun fights, explosions and swearing :)

Think Geordie Shore meets The Running Man lol

Sounds pretty decent actually. Desperate Scousewives you mean. ;)

Love to write creatively too and i'm writing a novel myself, but it can be bloody difficult at times so best of luck with yours!

Sounds pretty decent actually. Desperate Scousewives you mean. ;)

Love to write creatively too and i'm writing a novel myself, but it can be bloody difficult at times so best of luck with yours!

Thanks mate, what's yours about?

I only write mine during the summer when it's really quiet at work, can't do it unless I have a few weeks where I can just concentrate on that and nothing else. Sadly it looks like this summer won't be as quiet so not sure I'll get the chance to add to it.

I can't write it when I actually have work to do as by the time I get home my creative juices are completely gone :(

Thanks mate, what's yours about?

I only write mine during the summer when it's really quiet at work, can't do it unless I have a few weeks where I can just concentrate on that and nothing else. Sadly it looks like this summer won't be as quiet so not sure I'll get the chance to add to it.

I can't write it when I actually have work to do as by the time I get home my creative juices are completely gone :(

Mine's a pirate-based historical fiction novel. Young Jim Hawkins-type gets caught up in piracy, only unlike JH he becomes a pirate and gets caught up in some shady business that the Captain is involved in. It's all buccaneering and revenge plots, with some real pirates involved along the way whilst the main protagonist tries to find a purpose to it all.

Know what you mean about work taking precedent - since i started this job I've barely touched by book. I'm at the second draft stage though so hopefully will finish it by the end of the summer.

Mine's a pirate-based historical fiction novel. Young Jim Hawkins-type gets caught up in piracy, only unlike JH he becomes a pirate and gets caught up in some shady business that the Captain is involved in. It's all buccaneering and revenge plots, with some real pirates involved along the way whilst the main protagonist tries to find a purpose to it all.

Know what you mean about work taking precedent - since i started this job I've barely touched by book. I'm at the second draft stage though so hopefully will finish it by the end of the summer.

Sounds good :)

Good going to get that far through it too! Let me now if any publishers pick it up.

Edited by ajax_andy

I dunno like, I definitely believe in some Gender Bias in education towards women. Completely based on what girls want nowadays (imagine being one of two boys in an A Level English Literature class...and the other one was gay) with the most feminist bints ever that can't go a sexond without shoving their views down your masculine face.