Your views on...

TheMiddleOfNowhere

Chaps! I'm doing a piece of work for my extended project qualification where I have to write 5000 words on a topic of my choice. Teacher reckons I get better marks if I use "primary research", ie asking people. My topic is

Could the Hillsborough Disaster of 1989 have been avoided if the actions if the police had followed the correct procedure and what effect has it had on football in the modern day?

I'm pretty much sussed for the first part of the question as I've got the taylor report, the initial statements et al in front of me, but if you could just write a little about the effect it has had on football in the modern day it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gents!

It could've been avoided of course it could but the Thatcher government didn't give a fuck about football fans, and it's a shame because people behind the scenes were taking an interest in to the future of football from late 88 early 89 onwards.

The disaster itself changed as many things for the bad as it did the good. No one wants to see deaths at football games, but losing the terraces is one of the worst things that has ever happened to English football. I don't care what anyone says, English fans rightly had a reputation as amongst the most passionate in the world, perhaps many of us still are but the all seater stadia phenomena is stifling, kids go to games with no idea what passionate proper support used to be like and that's a massive shame. No one can look me in the eye and say Germans are more passionate as people than the English, they're self confessed robots and have been for centuries yet their standing stadia are creating better atmospheres than ours at present and to me that is ridiculous.

Chaps are sturdy coverings for the legs consisting of leggings and a belt. They are buckled on over trousers with the chaps' integrated belt, but unlike trousers they have no seat and are not joined at the crotch. They are designed to provide protection for the legs and are usually made of leather or a leather-like material. Therefore, I'm all for them.

Edited by LooneyToony

Chaps! I'm doing a piece of work for my extended project qualification where I have to write 5000 words on a topic of my choice. Teacher reckons I get better marks if I use "primary research", ie asking people. My topic is

Could the Hillsborough Disaster of 1989 have been avoided if the actions if the police had followed the correct procedure and what effect has it had on football in the modern day?

I'm pretty much sussed for the first part of the question as I've got the taylor report, the initial statements et al in front of me, but if you could just write a little about the effect it has had on football in the modern day it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Gents!

Very good question. It could have been avoided without doubt, dont know if procedure comes into it but mass collusion and lies afterwards certainly isnt normal procedure.

Probably wont stop mass collusion and lies by the police in future though.

The effect that I notice most on a match-by-match basis is the gentrification of the game. Ze Germans have terraces, cheap tickets and excellent football, I see no reason why we couldn't replicate that.

Their national and international games are on a different level to ours, so why not?

-The premiership is the best league in the world.

-Terraces, cheap tickets and sausages will not make our international side any better.

-They tried to take over the world.

-The premiership is the best league in the world.

-Terraces, cheap tickets and sausages will not make our international side any better.

-They tried to take over the world.

No it's not

I don't care about that

So did we.

why don't you care about the international side??

So many reasons that I honestly can't be bothered to go into, but mainly the backwards approaches the FA use to try and resolve a situation that cannot be fixed without massive change in culture of coaching in this country. It's got fuck all to do with how many foreigners are playing in the top flight and has everything to do with the support and direction English coaches are given.

Want a good national side? employ quality coaches at every level, support the players that do come through and actually produce a strategy.

Terraces, cheap tickets and sausages will make Saturdays much more enjoyable, however.

Watching a bundesliga game is way better craic than watching a premier league game - way cheaper, amazing atmosphere plus you can get pissed on the terrace while watching.

And let's not even begin to compare our national side with theirs.

indeed they will. i do think the foreign players have a sizeable part to play in the demise though

I buy my apples from my next door neighbour, who has an orchard, so I buy them off him

I could plant an apple tree and nurture it and get apples from my own garden in a few years, but I can't be arsed.

Is it my neighbours fault that my garden produces no apples? Or is it that I don't put the effort in, in the first place?

in totally unrelated news I'm having an apple

if the apple tree is taking up the space of your apple tree preventing apples to grow it will be an issue.

End of the day, if the young English players are of sufficient quality, they'd get their chances.

A lot is made of the lack of World Class English players, but I don't believe inherent talent is the problem, it's the fundamentals. The wide men still run with their head down, the defenders still hoof, there are too many prima donnas, too many players keen on the spotlight.

Tell you what, Milner gets a lot of shit but he does the simple things well and has been a much better pro than his more "talented" compatriots. He's well drilled, well disciplined and happy to look for the pass before looking for the shot. Sure Townsend has the raw talent, but so have countless other players who've gone on to do fuck all