Destiny 2

Rayvin

Just now, Andrew said:

Its the barrier to entry, I am happy sitting back with a controller for gaming, my pc needs to be able to do media but I cant be bothered with how much Id want to spend on a gaming pc or on the upkeep

Ive got enough expensive hobbies.

Ah that does makes sense tbh. I spent £1000+ on my PC in 2014 and found spending that much on anything that wasn't a house or a car to be really disconcerting. If I'd had an electric guitar addiction to feed as well, I doubt I'd have bothered.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ah that does makes sense tbh. I spent £1000+ on my PC in 2014 and found spending that much on anything that wasn't a house or a car to be really disconcerting. If I'd had an electric guitar addiction to feed as well, I doubt I'd have bothered.

I spent £1600 on mine and don't consider it a gaming PC!

I thought you needed to be spending a grand plus on graphics cards alone for it to fall into that category.

Just now, adios said:

I spent £1600 on mine and don't consider it a gaming PC!

I thought you needed to be spending a grand plus on graphics cards alone for it to fall into that category.

Mine was £1500 all told, but I had it custom built by someone who knew what they were doing, so the price was lower than buying pre-built. Graphics card is Nvidia970 which I always thought was decent. I coulda gone higher I guess but I genuinely haven't needed to turn graphics down in any game I've played, so I think it was a good choice.

Hmmm, looks like I might have the Radeon equivalent of that.  Maybe I should actually try putting my PC through a stress test with some high-end game.

I know it fails the VR test on Steam.

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Mine was £1500 all told, but I had it custom built by someone who knew what they were doing, so the price was lower than buying pre-built. Graphics card is Nvidia970 which I always thought was decent. I coulda gone higher I guess but I genuinely haven't needed to turn graphics down in any game I've played, so I think it was a good choice.

Mine doesn't hold up too well considering it's newer.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-370-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Way overpowered for the old-style point-n-clicks that I play though.

3 minutes ago, adios said:

Mine doesn't hold up too well considering it's newer.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-370-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Way overpowered for the old-style point-n-clicks that I play though.

Still not bad though. Nvidea 960 was supposed to be 'serviceable' at the time, so I got the 970 to give me some longevity. As I say though, graphics in AAA titles don't seem to be pushing the envelope in the way they once did, so I think you'll find you can run basically everything even if you have to tweak the settings a bit.

Just checked and I thought I'd spend ~€350 on it, but turns out I only spend about half that, so that'll explain it.  I haven't even overclocked it.  

To be honest, I don't play anything graphically-challenging on PC.  I feel like that's what consoles are for - no hassle plug-n-play.

It's probably unfair on the current state of things, but I was put off a long time ago when it seemed like I was spending 60% of my gaming time trying to get the feckin' thing to work.

2 minutes ago, adios said:

Just checked and I thought I'd spend ~€350 on it, but turns out I only spend about half that, so that'll explain it.  I haven't even overclocked it.  

To be honest, I don't play anything graphically-challenging on PC.  I feel like that's what consoles are for - no hassle plug-n-play.

It's probably unfair on the current state of things, but I was put off a long time ago when it seemed like I was spending 60% of my gaming time trying to get the feckin' thing to work.

This is why we have Steam. A single system that runs most of the games.

5 minutes ago, Ant said:

naw a top end graphics card is around 500 tbh to game well unless you're looking to do SLI or whatever and it neverrrrrrr works properly even now.

That's the only bit really missing from my setup these days is a card in that bracket, because i don't game on the pc anymore.

Like Rayvin (except years ago) i'd have been in a decent counterstrike team winning leagues and such, and similar a top(ish) eu-wow guild but who has the time for that shit or patience now lol.

i've no idea how people use controllers for the likes of competitive call of duty etc, the difference between it and a mouse and keyboard setup is chalk/cheese, it's so much slower with a control pad.

Anyway looks like i'm soft capped at 283 unless i do the raid (until the weekly challenge/nightfall etc reset) all my engrams/items drop at 274 for normal rewards, need the "powerful" ones or exotics to break my base light level.

fwiw this isn't WoW , it's considerably easier, you couldn't do WoW end game stuff with a pile of random people and you'd be there for multiple resets before the content was cleared by the better teams.

This stuff gets beaten within hours and starts getting solo'd by people after a month or so.

But aye it's a proper grind/time sink, beginning to remember why i stopped in D1 when the last expansion was out.

You've nailed it there mind. As much as I'm probably going to get my money's worth out of this game, there's no real 'end goal' here. You level up, to complete higher grade missions, in order to get better stuff, in order to level up to higher grade missions. Very circular.

With Rocket League, the only thing that's changing is your base skill. You don't get better cars, gear, or anything that gives you an advantage. You just get better. And the game rewards you for it by acknowledging your level in competitive rankings and ESL tournaments with actual prize money etc at the end.

I suppose Destiny could do this through the PVP route, but that aside, I think the motivating factor for me would be if they expand the story well - so that I want to play the harder levels in order to know what happens. And I don't think I'm quite that invested in it tbh...? The narrative that is. I'm fully enjoying it all in all, but I do suspect I'll get to a point where I'll just think it's pointless going further.

Edited by Rayvin

32 minutes ago, Ant said:

fwiw for a good card that will do well for most gaming needs an rx 580  will be it and be around 220 (it#s not what i have it;s newer and better)

top mark... still a 1080 at 500-600

middle ground between the two but still  about £400 a gtx 1070 (prob what i'd end up with)

Cheers for this, though maybe I should be asking you again by the time I upgrade.   I'd probably go for the cheapest option there as I have an aversion to nVidia.

37 minutes ago, Ant said:

did the crucible challenges and got myself up to 285

Nice one. Only two milestones I have left for this week are the raid and trials of the nine. Obviously not gonna happen!

1 hour ago, Ant said:

same here

just tried the xbox looking for group for the raid it's woeful 30 mins no joy

posts range from be 260-290 and experienced

lol it's been out a week i just replied to everything  still couldn't get one

I think a clan is the way forward tbh. I've asked our clan leader to set me up with a raid group of others. Or to let me join him next week.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

At 270 after playing tonight, got the Multi/Mini tool pairing going after finally getting enough scout rifles, multi tool is a 283 which is pretty nice.

I haven't done that quest yet but I gather those are the best weapons in the game. I didn't really get to play tonight so no change at my end. Still stuck with the fucking plasma rifle...

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I haven't done that quest yet but I gather those are the best weapons in the game. I didn't really get to play tonight so no change at my end. Still stuck with the fucking plasma rifle...

Tips! You need 5 rare/legendary scout rifles, save them.

Any kills on titan count for the last bit of the quests.

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Tips! You need 5 rare/legendary scout rifles, save them.

Any kills on titan count for the last bit of the quests.

Thanks for this, you've probably saved me an hour or so here!

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

aye and the submachine gun part of it is easy, stand on top of a car or something in the edz , basically anything above ground counts for the 50 airborne kills

I would not have worked this out until kill 49 so thanks for this also :lol: You've saved me from jumping up and down in the EDZ like a lunatic.

8 minutes ago, Ant said:

aye and the submachine gun part of it is easy, stand on top of a car or something in the edz , basically anything above ground counts for the 50 airborne kills

Thats the Titan bit I mentioned, anywhere on that rig counts as "airborne" you can just kill stuff as normal with the mini-tool and get 50, took be about 10 minutes maybe.

• Like 1

I have the tricksleeves at the moment, as I've mostly been focused on getting weapons sorted out I've not bothered changing them.

Probably swap my exotic armour slot for the knucklehead radar, always liked that in D1.