Sales people and extended warranties

Jimbo

Is there anything more infuriating than trying to buy a domestic item and having some idiot sales person trying to talk you into taking out an exetended warranty ?

I've just bought a new washingmachine this afternoon and had to stand there for 10 minutes while this idiot waffled on about how washing machines only last 3 years these days, blah blah blah, call out fee are huge *sucks through teeth* blah blah blah, excellent value, blah blah blah.

And then after I tell him I'm not the slightest bit interested, the gimp has the audacity to ask "May I ask why sir ?"

At that point I lost it and said "yes as matter of fact, I'm bloody loaded and I'll just buy another one if it wraps up"

tossers

Rant over, spleen vented.

I've got a great solution, I've used it a few times.

"I don't want a warranty and if you try to sell me one then I'll go and buy it somewhere else".

Worked a treat when I bought my laptop, which 4 years on has only had a couple of minor scares. A 3-year warranty would have cost over £500.

Is there anything more infuriating than trying to buy a domestic item and having some idiot sales person trying to talk you into taking out an exetended warranty ?

I've just bought a new washingmachine this afternoon and had to stand there for 10 minutes while this idiot waffled on about how washing machines only last 3 years these days, blah blah blah, call out fee are huge *sucks through teeth* blah blah blah, excellent value, blah blah blah.

And then after I tell him I'm not the slightest bit interested, the gimp has the audacity to ask "May I ask why sir ?"

At that point I lost it and said "yes as matter of fact, I'm bloody loaded and I'll just buy another one if it wraps up"

tossers

Rant over, spleen vented.

8471[/snapback]

Dixons?

The tossers tell you, "what if it breaks down in two years?"

I'd say "Well, I'd better go elsewhere, 'cos you obviously think your own goods are shoddy,"

You've got a legal right for a product to last a reasonable amount of time, regardless of what their waste-of-paper warranty says.

I find its a lot easier and cheaper to just take out specific insurance on things like laptops and then drop them out of the window when they stop working, voila a nice shiny new one for a tenth og the price of the warranty.

I've got a great solution, I've used it a few times.

"I don't want a warranty and if you try to sell me one then I'll go and buy it somewhere else".

Worked a treat when I bought my laptop, which 4 years on has only had a couple of minor scares. A 3-year warranty would have cost over £500.

8475[/snapback]

I've done that before, I walked out of Comet after I had warned the bloke I'd walk out if he mentioned it again.

I find its a lot easier and cheaper to just take out specific insurance on things like laptops and then drop them out of the window when they stop working, voila a nice shiny new one for a tenth og the price of the warranty.

8478[/snapback]

I'd advise wearing a hard hat when walking around the quayside, then.

Personally I like to ask why I would need an extended warrantee if their product is so 'top of the line'. Are they actually selling second rate/poorer quality merchandise that I would actually have to need such a warrantee?

Add ons that get these guys commisions, it's the thing that always pisses me off. You even get it with trainers these day. I bought some trainers from Schuh and the kid spent 10 minutes trying to sell me some expensive trainer cleaning foam.

'Don't want it mate'

'But it's great for getting stains ou..'

'Don't want it mate'

'It's natural they'll get dir..'

'Don't want it mate'

'I've got some myself and..'

'Don't want it mate'

etc etc

Bizarrely, the one time I went prepared for a barrage of bullshit and add ons was when I went to buy my car, but the bloke I bought it off didn't seem that arsed. Even asked me to haggle. This was 3 years ago and the car still works fine.