Major League Soccer is back!

MattM4

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we're talkin' players from the mid-ninties?

One thing about Cobi Jones is that he's god 164 caps :D

No skill at all but plenty of pace and durability--he came on basically to be a punching bag against Mexico in Korea.

Lalas is still a joke, though. It was amusing to see that hatchet man play. :grin:

Wegerle was waaay to 'streaky' of a performer. 5 good games and then 15 crap ones. South African naturalized as opposed to being a real American player though, a hallmark of that era of the team.

Donovan is a whiney bitch who only wants to live and die in LA.

Hejduk never was any good. Still don't know how he was the one to go to Germany after France 98.

Sanneh was spectacular in the World Cup and was a pretty strong defender for Nurenburg from what I recall. (you're right, though, I got the club wrong.)

Remember the denim effect USA strip in the 94 World Cup.  Jesus Levi Christ!

115367[/snapback]

Hillbilly-tastic. They should have had dungarees instead of shorts. Yeeee-Haw!!

115380[/snapback]

The shorts worn in the cup were actually red, (rather spectacularly these shorts were worn with the other kit where the reds didn't match for the game against Braziil)

USAvsSUI.2.0618.gif

And the alternative 'candy strip' kit was far worse. :D Wavy stripes and everything.

BRAvsUSA.6.0704.gif

Still not a patch on some of the early MLS kits, mind.

fb_1.JPG

3e_1.JPG

Sadly I actually own that last one.... :razz:

Edited by Zathras

That was some elbow by Leonardo on Tab Ramos like.

115587[/snapback]

Pretty much ended his career in terms of effectiveness; was never the same player. Fractured his skull.

Sanneh was spectacular in the World Cup and was a pretty strong defender for Nurenburg from what I recall.  (you're right, though, I got the club wrong.)

115566[/snapback]

After this World Cup he moved to Berlin where he was a huge flop and where he only got a handful of games. Sanneh had only one season where he was a regular first team player in Jormany and that in his first season with Nuremberg who were awful and just avoided the drop. In his second season he got demoted to the bench. He also played mostly as a midfielder IIRC.

Other current American international players from the Bundesliga like Conor Casey aren't setting the world alight either. And that's despite the league being piss poor these days...

115587[/snapback]

Pretty much ended his career in terms of effectiveness; was never the same player. Fractured his skull.

115591[/snapback]

Remember it well. Always liked Leonardo too and I have a certain sympathy with him as he was getting his shirt pulled at the time but fucking hell! You can't expect to get away with that!

Sanneh was spectacular in the World Cup and was a pretty strong defender for Nurenburg from what I recall.  (you're right, though, I got the club wrong.)

115566[/snapback]

After this World Cup he moved to Berlin where he was a huge flop and where he only got a handful of games. Sanneh had only one season where he was a regular first team player in Jormany and that in his first season with Nuremberg who were awful and just avoided the drop. In his second season he got demoted to the bench. He also played mostly as a midfielder IIRC.

Other current American international players from the Bundesliga like Conor Casey aren't setting the world alight either. And that's despite the league being piss poor these days...

115598[/snapback]

Sanneh was crap after the cup tbf; although he had quite a bad back injury IIRC (He's from my home town and have met him on many occasions.) He missed a good year with that injury and then came to MLS.... where he's a complete joke and his team's fans literally want him injured so that he can't play....

"American International" is quite a stretch for Conor Casey, mind. Don't overlook Steve Cherundolo, though; he's quite a good right back.

(Don't get me started on Cletus' stint in Hannover, though :D)

115587[/snapback]

115591[/snapback]

Remember it well. Always liked Leonardo too and I have a certain sympathy with him as he was getting his shirt pulled at the time but fucking hell! You can't expect to get away with that!

115599[/snapback]

They both had each other's shrits in their hands, Ramos was trying to dribble around him at the time, so who was pulling who is questionable.

I always liked Leonardo too, and even later in his career at PSG I thought he was a good player, but that elbow was worthy of a year ban.

115587[/snapback]

115591[/snapback]

Needed one of these tbh;

helmet_sm.jpg

115587[/snapback]

115591[/snapback]

115599[/snapback]

They both had each other's shrits in their hands, Ramos was trying to dribble around him at the time, so who was pulling who is questionable.

I always liked Leonardo too, and even later in his career at PSG I thought he was a good player, but that elbow was worthy of a year ban.

115611[/snapback]

I thought Leonardo had the ball at the time. Either way, he went down like a sack of spuds.

I thought Leonardo had the ball at the time. Either way, he went down like a sack of spuds.

115621[/snapback]

Trust me, Ramos had the ball. I've still got the game on tape (and was recently watching it in prep work for another video compilation.)

115621[/snapback]

Trust me, Ramos had the ball. I've still got the game on tape (and was recently watching it in prep work for another video compilation.)

115624[/snapback]

I'll take your word for it mate. I remember the game though. Strangely, even though England didn't qualify (or maybe because they didn't) I really enjoyed USA '94. You lot were unlucky to get Brazil in the last 16. Shite final like.

115621[/snapback]

115624[/snapback]

I'll take your word for it mate. I remember the game though. Strangely, even though England didn't qualify (or maybe because they didn't) I really enjoyed USA '94. You lot were unlucky to get Brazil in the last 16. Shite final like.

115626[/snapback]

It was our own fault; we didn't come to play against Romania in the last group game b/c we had beaten Colombia and had 4 pts. That loss left us hanging on as a 3rd place team and at the mercy of Brazil. (Instead of Spain or Argentina, mind so it wouldn't have been much easier anyways.) The final was poor, but I felt Brazil were worthy winners. Gutted for Baggio though.

In semi-related news, Romario just signed for a 2nd division club in Miami, so I'll get the chance to heckle him personally on June 11 when they're in town. :D

Edited by Zathras

Matchday 2 (April 8th 2006)

DC United 2-0 Chivas USA

DC -- Jaime Moreno 1 (unassisted) 59

DC -- Jaime Moreno 2 (Jamil Walker 1, Freddy Adu 3) 91+

New York Red Bulls 0-0 New England Revolution

Houston Dynamo 1-2 Kansas City Wizards

HOU -- Brian Ching 5 (Kevin Goldthwaite 1) 64

KC -- Sasha Victorine 1 (Jose Burciaga Jr. 1) 66

KC -- Jose Burciaga Jr. 1 (unassisted) 90

FC Dallas 2-1 Real Salt Lake

RSL -- Chris Klein 1 (Andy Williams 1) 36

DAL -- Kenny Cooper 2 (Carlos Ruiz 2) 43

DAL -- Mark Wilson 1 (unassisted) 57

Colorado Rapids 3-1 Columbus Crew

CLB -- Chad Marshall 1 (Danny Szetela 1) 10

COL -- Jovan Kirovski 2 (Terry Cooke 1, Jean Philippe Peguero 1) 35

COL -- Kyle Beckerman 1 (Terry Cooke 2, Nicolas Hernandez 1) 50

COL -- Fabrice Noel 1 (Terry Cooke 3) 67

Los Angeles Galaxy 1-1 Chicago Fire

LA -- Chris Albright 1 (Josh Gardner 1) 78

CHI -- Jim Curtin 1 (Thiago 1) 86

DC United, according to Football Manager.

118071[/snapback]

Doesn't play too much tbh. He's 16; mostly a late sub last year. Maybe this year, never know.

Matchday 3 (15th April 2006)

Columbus Crew v Chicago Fire

DC United v Houston Dynamo

Kansas City Wizards v New England Revolution

Colorado Rapids v FC Dallas

Real Salt Lake v Red Bull New York

Chivas USA v Los Angeles Galaxy

big matchup there between the Chivas and reigning champions, LA Galaxy. They call it the SuperClásico.

DC United, according to Football Manager.

118071[/snapback]

Doesn't play too much tbh. He's 16; mostly a late sub last year. Maybe this year, never know.

118156[/snapback]

So much for all that hype he's been getting tbh.