Woody tale repeated

janu

We're desperate for full-backs and centre-halves in my opinion.

115631[/snapback]

I agree with full-backs but in Boumsong, Taylor, Ramage, Bramble and dare I say it, Moore, we are well covered although one solid head in there would be welcome. Full-back, we've always neglected those positions.

115636[/snapback]

2 full-backs and a centre-half tbh. Too many of the above are shite.

I agree with almost all of the above despite my fondness for Woody.

Distin is ass though.

115518[/snapback]

For wanting more money? Or because you think he's shit?

I quite like him as a player and he seems to have developed his all-round game a lot, more composed, more consistent. Still not and never will be in the class of Woody (when fit) but we aren't in a position to attract a world-class defender much less afford one.

Anyhow, for me our defence isn't a shambles as in individuals or the back-four, it's the way we defend as a team that creates the defensive weaknesses at the back. Especially on the flnaks, all successful sides cut out crosses and force teams to play square balls accross the middle, i.e. balls that can esily be intercepted or a way of playing that doesn't really go anywhere. Watch Liverpool., experts at it. They rarely concede headers or sloppy goals in and from around the box.

The whole object of defending is to keep the opposition at bay, as far back as possible.

Our attack and midfield just don't potect that back-four as they shoul, not together as units anyway so it's no surprise we leak goals and make very poor individual mistakes. Even the best defenders in the world when put under pressure can look like an ass, the likes of Terry though very rarely get left isolated to be put under any kind of pressure. Boumsong? Ramager? Bramble? All the time.

A top-class coach/manager and some patience from fans will see to it that we cut out defensive errors. Good players will form a good sheild. We have good players...

115529[/snapback]

Nothing to do with his time here at all. I just think he isn't as good as some people make out. He certainly wouldn't be the player we require to cut out the mistakes.

Initially at Man City, he was the careful one, cleaning up after Dunne's mistakes, but the roles have reversed over the last 2 and a half seasons. Dunne-I think, has become an absolute rock at the back for City and the ROI. He seems to spend a deal of time cleaning up after Distins lack in concentration/slip ups.

I remember a Boumsong-esque howler against Tottenham where he tried to be a smart arse on the ball and gave away a goal.

I just think he isn't the error free centre back that we're screaming out for.

Mellberg though(as you rightly point out) looks the type required.

We're desperate for full-backs and centre-halves in my opinion.

115631[/snapback]

I agree with full-backs but in Boumsong, Taylor, Ramage, Bramble and dare I say it, Moore, we are well covered although one solid head in there would be welcome. Full-back, we've always neglected those positions.

115636[/snapback]

With a decent coach and a one senior centrehalf who can help bring on the other players I do beleive we could have a decent central defence.

The fullbacks are obviously not up the task.

Stephen Carr has been an improvement over Ramage, purely due to his experience in the game. Both are liabilities in that position, however. Carr gets beaten on the deck FAR too easily for my liking, and Ramage gets beaten in the air on a continuous basis(Yobo & Crouch to name 2 goals).

Babayaro is never going to improve. He's merely ok at full back, but his positioning is far worse than Bernard's. I remember watching him against Deprtivo in the Intertoto. He was lazy and caught out of position numreous times. Had no interest in tracking his man back at all.

The way Boumsong was playing for the last few months, I'd have rather had Caldwell in his place. Caldwell is a Championship quality player-no messing with the ball, no missed clearances, just kick the fu**ing ball as far away as possible. Boumsong on the other hand likes to put his foot on the ball and take it out of defence/play a neat pass.

I agree with almost all of the above despite my fondness for Woody.

Distin is ass though.

115518[/snapback]

For wanting more money? Or because you think he's shit?

I quite like him as a player and he seems to have developed his all-round game a lot, more composed, more consistent. Still not and never will be in the class of Woody (when fit) but we aren't in a position to attract a world-class defender much less afford one.

Anyhow, for me our defence isn't a shambles as in individuals or the back-four, it's the way we defend as a team that creates the defensive weaknesses at the back. Especially on the flnaks, all successful sides cut out crosses and force teams to play square balls accross the middle, i.e. balls that can esily be intercepted or a way of playing that doesn't really go anywhere. Watch Liverpool., experts at it. They rarely concede headers or sloppy goals in and from around the box.

The whole object of defending is to keep the opposition at bay, as far back as possible.

Our attack and midfield just don't potect that back-four as they shoul, not together as units anyway so it's no surprise we leak goals and make very poor individual mistakes. Even the best defenders in the world when put under pressure can look like an ass, the likes of Terry though very rarely get left isolated to be put under any kind of pressure. Boumsong? Ramager? Bramble? All the time.

A top-class coach/manager and some patience from fans will see to it that we cut out defensive errors. Good players will form a good sheild. We have good players...

115529[/snapback]

Nothing to do with his time here at all. I just think he isn't as good as some people make out. He certainly wouldn't be the player we require to cut out the mistakes.

Initially at Man City, he was the careful one, cleaning up after Dunne's mistakes, but the roles have reversed over the last 2 and a half seasons. Dunne-I think, has become an absolute rock at the back for City and the ROI. He seems to spend a deal of time cleaning up after Distins lack in concentration/slip ups.

I remember a Boumsong-esque howler against Tottenham where he tried to be a smart arse on the ball and gave away a goal.

I just think he isn't the error free centre back that we're screaming out for.

Mellberg though(as you rightly point out) looks the type required.

115644[/snapback]

Good shout, improved a lot and he was immense for City against West Ham in the Cup, at the back and up front. Prefer him over Huth who keeps being talked about.

Edited by Howaythetoon

i'd have woody back as well.

i'd offer as much as it takes to buy out his contract then off him a basic wage of say  - £25000 per week.

then £1000 per appearence and a further bonus for every 5 consecutive appearences.

115596[/snapback]

Nee chance, you'd have to weight it far more in favour of pay per play. The above deal would cost us a fucking fortune for probably not any games. I'd say more 5k or so a week with an extra 30 or 40 for the weeks he plays. It sounds mental saying you'd give that much money to someone for playing a match, but that's the only way to get value out of the deal (assuming you'd pay him 35-45k per week on a normal deal where he played every week.

I'm not convinced about buying out his contract either - it would cost a bomb.

Overall though - when we sold him he was cattled. If Real are willing to give up on him, he's likely still cattled, so whilst it's a nice idea, practically it would be a shambles of one injury after another in all likelihood.

Theres no way that would work like Gemmill. No one who's earning close to 100K is going to accept 5. I reckon it would have to be around 25 basic with an appearance bonus knocking it up to around 60K, he'd have to have parity with our top earners if he played those games. I dare say there'd be judgement call on how may games you could best hope for so his per appearance bonus would even be more than 40K (assuming 1 game per week)

If that's the case then I don't want him here. £25k a week is too much for a lad that might play 10 or 15 games a season if we're lucky. Pay as you play means pay as you play as far as I'm concerned. Woodgate will be lucky if any team is prepared to take a chance on him IMO - he might have to settle for a lot less than £25k a week.

Real Madrid are going to offer Woody to Spurs on loan apparently as part of the Micheal Dawson deal.

116033[/snapback]

Saw he was linked with Real, sounds like tabloid bollocks tbh.