Dirty Mackem Bastards

Jusoda Kid

please explain this IP thing to me...i did a short stint as admin on a forum and i noticed users had lots of different IP address's next to their name. Even me, and i've used the same pc and ISP for ages...plus i noticed a number of users shared the same IP as me so how does banning someone from their IP address work in that case?  :lol:  Surely wacky could join up 'under cover' so to speak as others probably share his IP? How would they know its him?

I realise i may be very confused by this and be talking complete bollox of course  :nufc:

122808[/snapback]

I'm assuming it was a Torquay related board, then?

Actually, it's a good question for something as localised as a football forum, where IPs are bound to overlap, at least occasionally.

122814[/snapback]

noo actually it was an Ipswich town forum...8 or 9 people had the same IP as me, and not many use tiscali or live in my area! :lol:

please explain this IP thing to me...i did a short stint as admin on a forum and i noticed users had lots of different IP address's next to their name. Even me, and i've used the same pc and ISP for ages...plus i noticed a number of users shared the same IP as me so how does banning someone from their IP address work in that case?  :lol:  Surely wacky could join up 'under cover' so to speak as others probably share his IP? How would they know its him?

I realise i may be very confused by this and be talking complete bollox of course  :nufc:

122808[/snapback]

Actually, it's a good question for something as localised as a football forum, where IPs are bound to overlap, at least occasionally.

122814[/snapback]

noo actually it was an Ipswich town forum...8 or 9 people had the same IP as me, and not many use tiscali or live in my area! :lol:

122830[/snapback]

Most people in East Anglia share the same genes, never mind IP addresses.

You're telling me that a 12 digit number (or whatever it is) isn't unique? I'm as clueless as Toonraider about this, clearly.

122816[/snapback]

No, the number is unique in terms of internet space, but when your router or modem contacts the ISP you are 'leased' one of their available IPs. That's how most people's works - dynamic IPs, but some people do have a static IP. There's also DNS which is kind of a naming system which identifies your location to the nearest router within an ISP, but again that could be shared.

Wacky - if you clear your cache, delete cookies and reboot your router, are you allowed to sign up again on SMB? Either way you can definitely get back in with a proxy IP.

122827[/snapback]

But then, whats the point really? He wont be able to post as himself else they'll ban him again!! :lol:

122832[/snapback]

:lol:

Edited by DotBum

122808[/snapback]

122814[/snapback]

122830[/snapback]

122832[/snapback]

that only applies to those from Norwich :nufc:

But then, whats the point really? He wont be able to post as himself else they'll ban him again!!  :lol:

122834[/snapback]

He can have his final word (which they'll promptly delete anyway) to massage his dwarfly ego. :lol:

Or quietly sign up as a new user?

But then, whats the point really? He wont be able to post as himself else they'll ban him again!!  :lol:

122834[/snapback]

He can have his final word (which they'll promptly delete anyway) to massage his dwarfly ego. :nufc:

122840[/snapback]

could he pull that off though? I doubt it! :nufc:

I registered there ages ago, dont think i ever posted, didnt like the look of it, painful on the eyes :lol:

122834[/snapback]

He can have his final word (which they'll promptly delete anyway) to massage his dwarfly ego. :lol:

122840[/snapback]

I think he just wants to read what they're saying, and maybe pm this lad who got him banned. Not worth the bother though tbh.