Waiting over for Roeder

janu

Very interesting interview in the current Mag with the NE writer for the Guardian if anyone gets the chance to read it. Hints massively at who exactly buys players and believes what a lot of us believe in that the board have no long term plan and seem to be run day to day.

138318[/snapback]

yep. but the Guardian is shit

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roeder's been making the right noises about sorting our scouting system out and looks like he want's to be base it on that of say Arsenal and what The Yids are doing at the moment.... :lol:

Just found out the four players i mentioned previously that Roeder was bringing to West Ham and it was four million pounds for the quartet until the Chairman vetoed it were.....

Drogba, Cech, Malouda and Mansiz

Guest alex

If that is our 'long-term strategy', which it probably is, I'm worried. Roeder has a poor track record, Shearer has zero experience and it's more obsession with people who have connections to the region/club.

Putting aside whether or not Daglish, Gullit or whoever was right, if you look at now, we should be at least thinking about a long-term strategy. The most successful clubs tend to do that and stability is exactly what this club needs and with the exception of Robson, has needed since Keegan. One of my problems with Shepherd is that he is too reactive to current situations and doesn't look at the big picture/plan ahead. I think he's missed an opportunity to appoint someone like O'Neill/Hiddink/Hitzfeld and give them 3+ years to build a side. I realise it's tough for Shepherd as the NUFC faithful often demand instant 'success' / attractive football. Sometimes though, Shepherd needs to step back from this and stick to his guns. Of course, you can only do this with the right man in place to start with. I fear Roeder is short-term 'stop-gap' and the fact he's got a two-year deal (on nowhere near what his predecessors were on I'll wager) would tend to suggest this is true.

138314[/snapback]

You see Alex, I'm not defending Shepherd for no reason, but this is the sort of thing that I will answer in his defence. You say on one hand that the club should input a "long term strategy" then dismiss the current appointment as not being a long term strategy. If the club really think Shearer is top quality management material then this appointment of Roeder with a view to Shearer being his right hand man in a year or two with long term succession, is PRECISELY a long term plan or strategy. Correct ?

Whether it is the "right" man, we don't know. The simple fact is, the whole idea is bollocks. Dalglish would still be here now if he had been the right man, and by the same token we were not going to keep him after 18 months simply there was 3 and a half years of the "5 year plan" left. And with his CV, a hell of a lot of people thought he was the "right" man.

The same will happen to Roeder, Shearer of whoever. If they stay at the club for 5 years or more, its because they are winning. Simple as that.

The most successful clubs don't have a long term strategy at all. They just appoint a manager who wins games so stays. Bruce Rioch lasted a year at Arsenal. What happened to that long term plan ? Ditto Evans at Liverpool, and they won the ahem, League Cup.

And I don't mean YOU specifically.

138341[/snapback]

The more successful clubs PLAN replacing their present managers if they are not considered successful enough. Liverpool replacing Houlier with Benitez in the SUMMER of 2004 is a classic example of this (despite Houlier's success).

If you can't see this then what's the point of the discussion? You might argue that Shepherd is planning ahead to install Shearer at the club - this might well be true but it would be the first time he has, and personally I have major misgivings in the logic of continuing with a second rate manager in the meantime who knows he is on borrowed time and his replacement is already planned.

There has to be some reason why other clubs of similar size to us are successful and we are not. I think it's because of the board - you seemingly put it down to luck or gypsie curses.

Very interesting interview in the current Mag with the NE writer for the Guardian if anyone gets the chance to read it. Hints massively at who exactly buys players and believes what a lot of us believe in that the board have no long term plan and seem to be run day to day.

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

:lol:

All this listening to the fans stuff is bollocks anyway. The average toon fan is fickle as fuck.

138323[/snapback]

I'm not fickle :lol:

Oh hang on, yes I am :razz:

Roeder's been making the right noises about sorting our scouting system out and looks like he want's to be base it on that of say Arsenal and what The Yids are doing at the moment....  :lol:

Just found out the four players i mentioned previously that Roeder was bringing to West Ham and it was four million pounds for the quartet until the Chairman vetoed it were.....

Drogba, Cech, Malouda and Mansiz

138347[/snapback]

But they didn't come and Roeder got West Ham relegated. Oh joy.

Guest alex

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

Regarding sport, I would tend to agree. It's a bit churlish to write-off an article you haven't even read though surely.

We did what Spurs are doing well before Spurs started doing it. When Robson was in charge we were buying u pas much young talent as possible - Bramble, Ambrose, Milner, Jenas etc and soon only one of those will be left.

Are Shepherd and LM the only people who think that Gullit was a top class, brilliantly successful manager? Anyone else on here think he was hot stuff? He won 1 cup? I think he's a pr1ck when it comes to management, you'd only have to a little bit of investigating his time at Chelsea to find that out. My dad & uncle were seriously disapointed when NUFC plumped for Gullit.

We did what Spurs are doing well before Spurs started doing it.  When Robson was in charge we were buying u pas much young talent as possible - Bramble, Ambrose, Milner, Jenas etc and soon only one of those will be left.

138363[/snapback]

I'm on about how the likes of Commolli has a dossier on practically every player in Europe and has strong connections with the African side of the talent spotting, where you get them for next to nothing...

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

Regarding sport, I would tend to agree. It's a bit churlish to write-off an article you haven't even read though surely.

138360[/snapback]

I haven't read the Mag ?

Guest alex

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

138360[/snapback]

I haven't read the Mag ?

138383[/snapback]

If you've read the said article perhaps you can tell me what you didn't like about then, rather than making an irrelevent comment about The Guardian.

Are Shepherd and LM the only people who think that Gullit was a top class, brilliantly successful manager?

Used to think you were one of the better posters because you didn't post jibbering shite.

I'll answer it anyway. I have almost every Mag - ever. A quick browse through those during Gullits time, along with the video footage of the day he joined the club, proves the utter futility of your comments.

Anyone else on here think he was hot stuff? He won 1 cup? I think he's a pr1ck when it comes to management, you'd only have to a little bit of investigating his time at Chelsea to find that out. My dad & uncle were seriously disapointed when NUFC plumped for Gullit.

138372[/snapback]

See above. Also 1 cup more than us, [along with leaving a team that went on to more] which we would have been delighted to win in that final. Correct or not ?

For the record, I wasn't too bothered about Gullit because I wasn't impressed by all the "let me entertain you" crap. And never have been. I did however, hope he would repeat his FA Cup success, being a trophy winner that according to some "we don't appoint"

Guest alex

Yet again you make things up to back up your argument Leazes, give me an example of one person who has said on here that we don't appoint managers who have won trophies.

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

138360[/snapback]

I haven't read the Mag ?

138383[/snapback]

If you've read the said article perhaps you can tell me what you didn't like about then, rather than making an irrelevent comment about The Guardian.

138387[/snapback]

You said I hadn't read The Mag. I have. I don't read the Guardian for the simple reason that when I have picked it up or read someone eises copy over the years its full of political leftie do gooder shite and the football content isn't any more interesting or informed either, and just as boring. The links that are put up on these message boards show me its just as shite as its always been.

Edited by LeazesMag

Yet again you make things up to back up your argument Leazes, give me an example of one person who has said on here that we don't appoint managers who have won trophies.

138394[/snapback]

Can't be arsed Alex. You know as well as me that people constantly criticise us for NOT appointing or being unable to attract big name trophy winning managers "because they won't or can't work with Fred". Total fabrication and complete shite I'm afraid.

Guest alex

138394[/snapback]

Can't be arsed Alex. You know as well as me that people constantly criticise us for NOT appointing or being unable to attract big name trophy winning managers "because they won't or can't work with Fred". Total fabrication and complete shite I'm afraid.

138399[/snapback]

As I thought, you can't give a single example.

Well Leazes, you have failed to answer any of my points regarding the timing of the dismissal of managers and how NUFC compares to other (successful) clubs. I assume it's because you know it's indefensible.

Are Shepherd and LM the only people who think that Gullit was a top class, brilliantly successful manager?

Used to think you were one of the better posters because you didn't post jibbering shite.

I'll answer it anyway. I have almost every Mag - ever. A quick browse through those during Gullits time, along with the video footage of the day he joined the club, proves the utter futility of your comments.

Anyone else on here think he was hot stuff? He won 1 cup? I think he's a pr1ck when it comes to management, you'd only have to a little bit of investigating his time at Chelsea to find that out. My dad & uncle were seriously disapointed when NUFC plumped for Gullit.

138372[/snapback]

See above. Also 1 cup more than us, [along with leaving a team that went on to more] which we would have been delighted to win in that final. Correct or not ?

For the record, I wasn't too bothered about Gullit because I wasn't impressed by all the "let me entertain you" crap. And never have been. I did however, hope he would repeat his FA Cup success, being a trophy winner that according to some "we don't appoint"

138391[/snapback]

Well, i've given up on getting much that's sensible out of you a while ago. Shame, i think it's good when people have opposing views, one can learn. People's mind's should have a degree of fluidity to their thinking, not you though. Pure dogma, massive generalisations of other people's opinions, failure to even entertain other's point of view and glimpses of a political outlook that borders on bigotry. You're fast becoming proof that age and wisdom have no correlation.

138372[/snapback]

138391[/snapback]

Well, i've given up on getting much that's sensible out of you a while ago. Shame, i think it's good when people have opposing views, one can learn. People's mind's should have a degree of fluidity to their thinking, not you though. Pure dogma, massive generalisations of other people's opinions, failure to even entertain other's point of view and glimpses of a political outlook that borders on bigotry. You're fast becoming proof that age and wisdom have no correlation.

138419[/snapback]

massively hypocritical in view of the first line of your last post, which was the point of my reply.

Fact also is, whether you choose to re-write history or not, the vast majority of the clubs support was happy with Gullit at the time. Unless you weren't there to see for yourself of course.

Guest alex

138372[/snapback]

138391[/snapback]

138419[/snapback]

massively hypocritical in view of the first line of your last post, which was the point of my reply.

Fact also is, whether you choose to re-write history or not, the vast majority of the clubs support was happy with Gullit at the time. Unless you weren't there to see for yourself of course.

138422[/snapback]

So Leazes, do you think it's right to appoint and sack managers purely on the basis of the fan's views at that time?

138372[/snapback]

138391[/snapback]

138419[/snapback]

One person does not constitute proof. :lol: