Owen hopes to fill Shearer boots

Craig

England striker Michael Owen says he is ready to take on Alan Shearer's mantle as Newcastle's main goalscorer - and to be the club's new number nine.

Owen, 26, is currently battling for fitness ahead of this summer's World Cup finals after breaking his foot.

He said: "No matter what number I have on my back, I fancy being regarded as the goalscorer at the club.

"I've done that wherever I have been. Now I'm certainly held responsible for that next year and years to come."

Owen added: "Alan Shearer is a hard act to follow and whoever wears the number nine shirt will inevitably be compared with him.

"I have not been offered it, but it would be something to talk about. Obviously it means a lot up here.

"No matter what number you have on your back, the main thing is to make sure Alan Shearer's goals are not sorely missed."

"In the games we played together, it didn't take long to rekindle that partnership, and it's a great shame that my injury in December and his injury last month meant we couldn't have got a few more games together," Owen told the Newcastle website.

BBC Sport

Thursday, 11 May 2006

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/4762931.stm

Positive stuff from him really...

Still, until he utters the phrase 'I will definitely be an NUFC player next season' then it's all patter.

136817[/snapback]

Occasionaly play when I feel like it you mean.