James Milner

Scottish Mag

Aston Villa boss David O'Leary has big plans for James Milner as he steps up his bid to land the Newcastle midfielder.

The talented 20-year-old has spent the past season on-loan at Villa Park and now looks set to make his switch to the Midlands outfit a permanent arrangement.

Milner has established himself as a favourite with the club's faithful and O'Leary has moved quickly to try and tie up a deal for the England Under-21 international.

O'Leary feels Milner is the type of young player he can build a side around, with a £3 million deal in the pipeline.

''James is the sort of young, ambitious player I want to build the side around,'' said O'Leary.

Milner's agent, Mick McGuire, admits that talks are expected for Friday between Villa and his client.

''More talks are expected for Friday,'' he said.

Guest alex

I said at the time we paid way over the odds for Milner. Alan Smith, an England international, went to Man Utd for only a million more. If he leaves for £3million to go to a club where he’s just spent a successful year on loan, it will only confirm that.

I thought we only actually paid about 3.5 and the rest of the supposed 5 or 5.5 fee that was being banded about included future appearances, England appearances etc

I do not htink we have made much of a loss on him, whether we may lose out on a good player remains to be seen.

If he goes (and i don't rate him partricularly highly) without Roeder actually seeing him, it will leave me thinking that 1 of 2 things are at work here.

1) We are so far up sh*t creek financially due to the club allowing a person everybody knows is a pr1ck (except the man who employed him) to spend amazing amounts of money with a c.v. that's never even sniffed league success in England.

2) Roeder's opinion is not being sought on this matter.

Guest alex

He's done well at Villa but as someone else mentioned, if we sold him and got someone like Malbranque for a similar price I'd be happy. I'm not convinced Milner is that good tbh.

We paid around £3.5m up front IIRC. I'd be surprised if any clauses were activated in his one season, however they could well be a sell-on clause in there.

We paid around £3.5m up front IIRC. I'd be surprised if any clauses were activated in his one season, however they could well be a sell-on clause in there.

137884[/snapback]

RNS Number:5020A

Newcastle United PLC

05 July 2004

5th July 2004

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC

Transfer Agreement: James Milner

The Directors of Newcastle United PLC are pleased to announce that agreement has

been reached with Leeds United for the transfer of the registration of England

under 21 International James Milner to Newcastle United for an initial fee of

£3.6m. Further amounts may be payable contingent upon certain qualifying events

and England senior appearances involving the player. The player has agreed

personal terms and signed a five year contract ending in June 2009.

- Ends -

Well, I kind of agree with Wullie. It's alright flogging him for pretty much what we paid, but if we don't buy any cover for Nobby (or a replacement for Nobby if rumours are true) then it's stupid business. Another season of Bowyer or Shola out there makes me shudder.

Well, I kind of agree with Wullie. It's alright flogging him for pretty much what we paid, but if we don't buy any cover for Nobby (or a replacement for Nobby if rumours are true) then it's stupid business. Another season of Bowyer or Shola out there makes me shudder.

137941[/snapback]

The fact that we're probably going to be in the UEFA Cup makes it even more stupid. We all know how many matches we eventually have to trawl through and the chances of Nobby staying fit and in top shape through all those is pretty slim. We should be looking to have cover and competition for each position anyway, that's without the UEFA schedule to take into account.

Agree with the sentiments about keeping Milner, but we have to find the money to buy a decent striker from somewhere. Selling Milner is £3m towards the 'price on the ticket' (oo-er, I used a Sounessism!) of a good striker.

Amadady Faye is another £1m (hopefully).

Agree with the sentiments about keeping Milner, but we have to find the money to buy a decent striker from somewhere. Selling Milner is £3m towards the 'price on the ticket' (oo-er, I used a Sounessism!) of a good striker.

Amadady Faye is another £1m (hopefully).

137974[/snapback]

Faye, Butt, Boumsong all should be out the door before Milner

Guest alex
They got Hughes cheap because he's shit.

138008[/snapback]

Still would have rather had Hughes here than Rambo

138010[/snapback]

I wouldn't say there's much between them, both are ok as back-up, neither cut it in the PL imo.