England - Tactics & formations

Geordie Boyo

How many from set pieces?

How ever you want to put it Gol he doesnt get in the same positions, knock in the amount of crosses and have the same attacking threat as he did when at his peak. Theres nothing physically or tactically that stops him doing it. Its all mental, he wants to be the main man, at the centre of everything so he ends up playing too deep and fairly often nowhere near the right.

148910[/snapback]

So the other option is to take him out of the team, and replace him with someone who can't deliver anyway (Wright-Phillips).

It's fashionable to knock Beckham though.

148916[/snapback]

:( .. I've never once said he should be dropped, I appreciate what he does still bring to the team its just infuriating because it could be more

The other option, like I said, is to remind him what he does best. Its what Fergie used to when his ego and ambition got the better of him at Man U.. well Fergie would drop him but no one wants that. I just think he's given too free a reign. Its up to the management but its one of Svens weaknesses. Its got fuck all to do with fashion and tbh Ive said it for a long time, he's been doing the same thing since Sven took over. To be fair to him though recently he's not been as bad as he used to be.

Papa, I'd never knock his workrate and tbh 90% of the time his own personal performance. Some times that personal performance has got in the way of the teams performance though. Set pieces have been phenomenal recently but worryingly its tied with us being fairly poor from open play imo. Beckham playing like he can and used to would go a long way to solving that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beckham directly sets up goals and can chip in with them himself, that wins matches and will more than do for me. You also can't knock his workrate and his set piece delivery at the moment is absolutely unplayable even for good defences and later in the world cup that could end up being the difference between winning a close match and going out of the tournament.

148925[/snapback]

Like Laurent Robert. Only with a work ethic. Oh, and the fact that he still sets up and chips in with goals. Robert stopped doing that. He doesn't go in huffs or go missing like Robert either. In fact, Robert was pretty rubbish most of the time. :(

Beckham directly sets up goals and can chip in with them himself, that wins matches and will more than do for me. You also can't knock his workrate and his set piece delivery at the moment is absolutely unplayable even for good defences and later in the world cup that could end up being the difference between winning a close match and going out of the tournament.

148925[/snapback]

Like Laurent Robert. Only with a work ethic. Oh, and the fact that he still sets up and chips in with goals. Robert stopped doing that. He doesn't go in huffs or go missing like Robert either. In fact, Robert was pretty rubbish most of the time. :(

149007[/snapback]

Are you trying to stir up trouble? :P

I would always have Beckham over Robert but even with no work ethic a player who guarantees goals and assists is a very useful thign to have in your team.

After seeing both Lennon & Downing come on and immediately be effective Sven looks to have a couple of options he can chose to rely on, IMO.

Downing took his man on and supplied the crosses from the left which we lacked from Joe Cole who didn't really make any impact on the game.

Lennon had a lot of flair about him getting forward cutting inside to create chances which I hadn't really seen throughout the game.

If the game goes that way again I'd like to see Downing on for Joe Cole & Lennon on for Lampard & link up with Beckham on the right.

Owen has to start alongside Rooney. It’s only a matter of time before both players hit form and when they do you can't replace them with anyone.

Crouch will make a good sub. ;)

...............OWEN..... ROONEY

DOWNING GERRARD LENNON BECKHAM

A.COLE TERRY R.FERDINAND G.NEVILLE

....................ROBINSON

Guest Guest
After seeing both Lennon & Downing come on and immediately be effective Sven looks to have a couple of options he can chose to rely on, IMO.

Downing took his man on and supplied the crosses from the left which we lacked from Joe Cole who didn't really make any impact on the game.

Lennon had a lot of flair about him getting forward cutting inside to create chances which I hadn't really seen throughout the game.

If the game goes that way again I'd like to see Downing on for Joe Cole & Lennon on for Lampard & link up with Beckham on the right.

Owen has to start alongside Rooney. It’s only a matter of time before both players hit form and when they do you can't replace them with anyone.

Crouch will make a good sub.  ;)

...............OWEN..... ROONEY

DOWNING GERRARD LENNON BECKHAM

A.COLE TERRY R.FERDINAND G.NEVILLE

....................ROBINSON

149645[/snapback]

Lennon in the middle? Surely it would be better with Beckham in the middle and Lennon on the right?

Personally, I'd play Gerrard on the left instead of Cole, and bring a defensive midfielder in to play alongside Lampard.

So! What now...! :lol:

Do we bring Lennon or Carrick in?

Keep Hargreaves in there?

Maybe keep Crouch up front?

As mentioned above you could push Beckham in centre with Lennon out wide right to offer a better attack there as we'd be still keeping the threat of Beckham's crosses, etc?

Carrick can sit nicely in that holding role all thou he doesn't really get about the pitch as much as Hargreaves to retrieve the ball. Hargreaves on the other hand seems to struggle to get the ball at times taking his man down rather than planting that accurate challenge for the ball, but I was impressed by his work-rate against Sweden.

Crouch is the perfect target man for the keeper to get too and for other long balls. He's also very handy or leggy I should say for holding the ball up for the attack to push forward.

There are a few options Sven can take, but also I would like to see Walcott at some point get a chance to come on otherwise we could have had someone there like Defoe where we know what he can do.

I would play:

Hargreaves
Lennon     Beckham            Gerrard       Cole

Rooney

from now on in. Crouch comes on if we're really struggling. We need to be offering something down the right and currently there's nowt as Beckham keeps drifting in.

Lampard comes on for Beckham if we're struggling an'all.

FM2006-tastic!

Same here Gemmill, and just tell Gerrard to support Rooney whenever possible. Crouch is gash, i'd be annoyed if we go on playing 4-4-2 with him.

Lampard is overrated aswell, how many shots has he had now? Something like 18 in 3 games, zero goals. Its no wonder he scored so many last season if he shoots every time he gets the ball, if he has 18 in 3 games thats like 228 in a 38 game season, 24 goals is rubbish!

I would play:

Hargreaves

Rooney

from now on in.  Crouch comes on if we're really struggling.  We need to be offering something down the right and currently there's nowt as Beckham keeps drifting in.

FM2006-tastic!

151458[/snapback]

I would make it

Hargreaves
Beckham       Gerrard     Lampard      Cole

Rooney

I wish people would stop bleating on about Defoe aswell. Would anybody serioulsy want him on the pitch, I know I bloody wouldnt. I am much happier with him in England where there is no chance of him playing

I would play:

Hargreaves

Rooney

from now on in.  Crouch comes on if we're really struggling.  We need to be offering something down the right and currently there's nowt as Beckham keeps drifting in.

FM2006-tastic!

151458[/snapback]

WARNING: (More Beckham bashing)

Beckham's value to that team looks severely diminished by not having beanpole Crouch to lump his long balls up to.

We're so limited for options generally though its fucking depressing the hell out of me. I'd be tempted to play Walcott with Rooney-fuck knows why Sven brought him along otherwise-having said that for that to work I'd have liked to have seen him on against the Swedes yesterday to get aclimatised when Rooney came off, but that chance has passed by too.

I would make it

Hargreaves

Rooney

I wish people would stop bleating on about Defoe aswell. Would anybody serioulsy want him on the pitch, I know I bloody wouldnt. I am much happier with him in England where there is no chance of him playing

151465[/snapback]

I just think we need someone with pace down the right, and Lennon gives that, plus he'll stay on the wing. Beckham would just keep drifting inside if you tell him to play on the right, and Lampard hasn't done enough to keep his place.

So basically, mine's the best, so ner. :lol:

Joe Cole for me has been the only plus of the tournament so far for England, and I can't usually stand the bastid. He's been positive and played well imo, I just wish he was left footed.

151467[/snapback]

Catholic?

I would play:

Hargreaves

Rooney

FM2006-tastic!

151458[/snapback]

I would make it

Hargreaves

Rooney

151465[/snapback]

Because unlike Walcott he's a proven striker who can be played straight in there despite his poor form last season.

Sven gave a clear indication against Sweden when he brought Crouch on that he has no intention of playing Walcott unless we are winning the game comfortably then he'll just put him in there for the last 5 minutes. At the end of the day we are down to three strikers, but you might as well say two...!

I would play:

Hargreaves

Rooney

FM2006-tastic!

151458[/snapback]

I would make it

Hargreaves

Rooney

151465[/snapback]

Because unlike Walcott he's a proven striker who can be played straight in there despite his poor form last season.

Sven gave a clear indication against Sweden when he brought Crouch on that he has no intention of playing Walcott unless we are winning the game comfortably then he'll just put him in there for the last 5 minutes. At the end of the day we are down to three strikers, but you might as well say two...!

151474[/snapback]

It's worse than that tbh. I'd say we were down to two-and one of those two we play a fucking God awful way to accomodate. The Walcott inclusion is looking more and more ridiculous.

I absolutely cannot stand Defoe but I have to say we could use his services.

Can you imagine where we'd be if a 60% fit Rooney picked up an injury now?

Hargreaves
Posh        Zucker            Henderson-Thynne     Tweedy

McLoughlin

tbh.

If you're going to go out, do it comically. (Hargreaves can stay.)

Hargreaves
Posh        Zucker            Henderson-Thynne     Tweedy

McLoughlin

tbh.

If you're going to go out, do it comically. (Hargreaves can stay.)

151485[/snapback]

Who's Hargreaves keeping out? His fella?

Or possibly the blogger who wrote "With his Romany curls, dreamy doe eyes and long, possibly false, eyelashes, he looks as if he should be a bad romantic poet rather than a footballer."

:lol:

I would play:

Hargreaves

Rooney

FM2006-tastic!

151458[/snapback]

I would make it

Hargreaves

Rooney

151465[/snapback]

151474[/snapback]

I still dont see having when Defoe would be any advantage. OK so we have an extra striker on the bench so what. Play Rooney up front, Crouch as Plan B and Walcott as a last desperate throw of the dice. When would Defoe actually get on the pitch?

I would play:

Hargreaves

Rooney

FM2006-tastic!

151458[/snapback]

thats how Ive had it too Gemmill. Apart from I'd have Lennon and Cole more advanced.. more 4-3-3 than 4-5-1... or is that 4-1-2-2-1 in an FM2006 stylee. :lol:

I still dont see having when Defoe would be any advantage. OK so we have an extra striker on the bench so what. Play Rooney up front, Crouch as Plan B and Walcott as a last desperate throw of the dice. When would Defoe actually get on the pitch?

151525[/snapback]

if we had Defoe he could come straight in for Owen and we could still play 4-4-2. I dont think we have the players for that now. it could be blessing in disguise as Sven may be forced into making a change in the system.

Edited by luckypierre