Roeder on Transfers

Skysports

Glenn Roeder has confirmed his liking for Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen.

Newcastle are reported to be leading the chase for the Danish international after Middlesbrough pulled out of the race.

The likes of Portsmouth, Bolton and Everton are also keen - but Roeder has now admitted that Newcastle are interested in the 30-year-old.

"It is natural speculation for Thomas to be linked with us because of the connection with Michael Owen as they were at Real Madrid together," Roeder told Sky Sports News.

"And secondly he and his agent say there is a desire to return to The Premiership and we as always would be interested in a player of the highest quality, so if he was to become available I suppose us and many clubs in The Premiership would show an interest but I do certainly admire him as a player."

Roeder though ruled out moves for Gravesen's Real team-mate and former Magpies defender Jonathan Woodgate and Empoli's Francesco Tavano.

"It hadn't crossed my mind and the chairman and I haven't spoken about that," he said about Woodgate.

"I wish Jonathan all the best for the coming season, I just hope he remains injury free because he has been unlucky to be injured as much as he has, in my opinion Jonathan would have been a major player at the World Cup if he had proven his fitness - because he is a top drawer central defender."

On Tavano Roeder was less than amused by the player's representatives who had claimed that talks would be taking places with The Magpies this weekend.

"I get disappointed when agents say we are about to have talks, not true and I am not aware of the player," said Roeder.

"We have spoken with our contacts in Italy and we didn't get the sort of feedback we would be looking for and to piggy-back Newcastle United to find a club for this player, who I haven't seen, gives agents a bad name and this agent has not done the brotherhood much favours."

Roeder admitted that strikers were still high up on his wanted list.

"We have got to be patient, there is no point in signing a striker or two a few weeks ago if a month after you think why have I signed these?

"We are researching as much as we can and are working as hard as we can, I will be going to Holland twice over the weekend so we can't work any harder than we are - but don't forget the squad is already a very strong squad.

"We must not forget we have a very decent squad but we do want to add to it - as we will be attacking on four fronts.

"Having two strikers leaves us woefully short as most Premiership clubs have four strikers in their squad to choose from."

Roeder refused to divulge his Dutch targets, simply confirming they would be watching The Amsterdam Tournament and Arsenal's friendly at Alkmaar.

"The Amsterdam Tournament is a good one to be at, David Mills is at the Arsenal game at AZ Alkmaar. And then another game on Sunday afternoon."

Although Roeder would not say who the game was on Sunday, it is believed he and assistant Kevin Bond would be looking at Middlesbrough's trip to Feyenoord - where Dirk Kuyt, continually linked with Newcastle and many English sides - would be featuring.

Roeder confirmed that the injured Michael Owen was currently on holiday to give him a bit of time off before major rehab on his knee starts.

"Michael Owen has been away in Portugal for a few days," he added.

"We thought we could allow him to do that and he has been having rehab and working hard but there is only so much you can do at this stage so we thought it would be nice for him to go away."

Guest Patrokles

His world interview is worth a watch, especially for those who think he sits in his office fiddling with himself all day/ posting on internet forums when he's supposed to be working, like the rest of us.

Edited by Patrokles

Verlaine, just realised you got banned and checked what it was for.  Jesus wept. :blush:

170699[/snapback]

I'm not going back, I got banned for typing out an old anti-cockney terrace favourite, and calling someones posts 'cuntish'.

I'll probablly still browse, but I shant post, but it's hardly a loss to N-O.

Verlaines a legend, he'll be working out a cunning articulate plan on how to get back at these evil mods :lol:

Edited by NewcastleRocker

Guest Patrokles
Verlaine, just realised you got banned and checked what it was for.  Jesus wept. :blush:

170699[/snapback]

I was thinking of defecting anyway, to be honest with you. But I don't think I could do two boards, so fortunately my hand has been forced!

Guest Patrokles

170699[/snapback]

I'm not going back, I got banned for typing out an old anti-cockney terrace favourite, and calling someones posts 'cuntish'.

I'll probablly still browse, but I shant post.

Verlaines a legend, he'll be working out a cunning articulate plan on how to get back at these evil mods :lol:

170702[/snapback]

Nah, I accept why I got banned, the mods' hands are tied really. Having said that; spot the difference?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/....html#msg495526

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/....html#msg496974

170699[/snapback]

I was thinking of defecting anyway, to be honest with you. But I don't think I could do two boards, so fortunately my hand has been forced!

170703[/snapback]

Welcome to the board then. Same to you Rocker, if you're here to stay.

Re the spot the difference thing - I had a go on there the other day about double standards in what the mods/admin get away with. Mainly cos I just felt like being a twat like. :lol:

Guest Patrokles

170699[/snapback]

170703[/snapback]

Welcome to the board then. Same to you Rocker, if you're here to stay.

Re the spot the difference thing - I had a go on there the other day about double standards in what the mods/admin get away with. Mainly cos I just felt like being a twat like. :lol:

170712[/snapback]

You? Never!

I've was always a bit uncomfortable with the numbers of Aussies on this board, as any civilised man would be, but you get used to it. I welcome the new convicts and hope they stick around.