Failure to appoint a quality manager is the issue.

Park Life

Here we go, a few games into a new season and it's oh so predictable. O can't disagree with any of the comments, but cast your mind back to the McFool school of football management and roll on the years till now....IF YOU DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DID, YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU ALWAYS GOT....NOWT!!!!

PM and LM I agree with you both........we are once again going over all the same things, just another name in the frame. The common denominator this time, Freddie. LM, sorry mate I'm losing the faith with such a wonderful chairman.

I don't think you can judge Shepherd's reign as a Chairman by how other Directors managed in the past. The whole football landscape has changed entirely from the old gentleman of the FA to being a multi million pound industry requiring appropriate management from its Chairman. In any other business Shepherd would have been sacked.

Leazes Mag seems to forget that in the 1970s we were disappointed to have not won either the FA or League cup after reaching 2 finals, in the eighties we had world class players like Gazza, Waddle, Keegan and Beardsley but the lack of success ultimately resulted in the Hall takeover. Most of what we regard as Newcastle's almost success was under John hall's leadership and we have gone largely backwards since Shepherd took over. We were on the verge of breaking into the top group and with the right leadership from the Chairman would still be there now instead we are such a non threat that the top clubs are happy to loan or offload players knowing we are no competition. I seriously fear that the gap is growing bigger by the day and soon will be unsurmountable. I only hope that Mourinhio really has fallen out with Chelsea, wants to leave at the end of the season and we are the only club willing to pay his wages!

Incidentally I saw John hall and his wife drinking at the outside bit of Shearers last - I wonder if it is because they were after free drinks or something to do with a possible takeover?

He made one bad appointment, then corrected it.

190975[/snapback]

You keep saying that but its not exactly the truth is it. Firstly he made the mistake of not sacking SBR when he should and then sacking him early in the season with no back up plan. Thats two mistakes already.

He then didn't make a bad appointment, he made THE worst appointment possible which is more than just a little mistake. He made two further mistakes in paying Blackburn compensation instead of waiting for them to sack him and secondly giving him a massive contract worth a fortune which has cost us millions.

And he didn't "just correct it" at all. He hired him, watched a truly awful season, including several key incidents that showed Souness to be worse than we thought possible and he failed to sack him when to do anything other than that was moronic.

He then gave a man who had shown himself to be grossly incompetent, money to spend pre-season (another mistake) and having watched yet more shite from Souness' team he still failed to sack him even though we were a complete embarassment (another mistake). Then finally and way too late he eventually made the right decision and sacked him, but again had no plan in place even though he'd been watching shite for months and should have had the forsight to get something lined up.

From when Bobby should have left to the current day, Fred has made a string of mistakes not just one.

We've already pointed out that us and Liverpool were practically identical not long ago and the different actions of their board and ours as seen the two clubs worlds apart now.

190983[/snapback]

Maybe he was listening to Craig or Gemmill when he kept him on :nufc:

There is nothing wrong with Newcastle United that the right manager won't put right quickly, people on the board are saying that it is the biggest single factor in the fortunes of a football club. And they are right.

And yet - defining "failure" and success can't be dependent on solely the winning of one of only 2 domestic trophies, that means 90 teams are "failures", which is absurd.

YOU will be aware of the change in the club since 1992, the situation has changed from one of dreaming of winning a trophy, to one of being massively pissed off that we haven't. Raised expectations, they have at least achieved this, and I have NEVER said they are perfect, I have ALWAYS said they have made mistakes but have done well and finding someone better will be far from easy. YOU will see this point, but I know others won't.

191005[/snapback]

Agree with the bits in bold. But we shouldnt be scared of trying to find better. Im not suggesting that Freddie has done a shit job. Just that he had presided over some ludicrous decisions lately and he has to take responsibility for it. He is boss.

I'm not massively pissed off about not winning something, just resigned to it. Always have been. The onlyt imes i thought we had a decent (outside) chance of it under McFaul when Gazza, Jackson, McDonald,McCreery, Goddard and Mira were here. We fucked that up too. Other than that - maybe when city beat us in 1977 in Gordon Lees last game (iirc). With that then of course we have done better since 1992. The game with ManUtd (they won the cup then )in 1989 or 1990?? was ok as well but i never thought we stood a chance that year.

Perhaps we should have took the cup a bit more seriously in the better years. We have never had the strength in depth to battle on all fronts. Even in the Keegan years it wasnt a particularly strong squad by modern standards (that of other clubs who win things I mean) For instance we beat Manu kids 2-0 with a virtual first team in 1994 (iirc) and it showed the power they had even then. Same with Arse and Chelsea now. In fact they have had that for some time.

He made one bad appointment, then corrected it.

190975[/snapback]

You keep saying that but its not exactly the truth is it. Firstly he made the mistake of not sacking SBR when he should and then sacking him early in the season with no back up plan. Thats two mistakes already.

He then didn't make a bad appointment, he made THE worst appointment possible which is more than just a little mistake. He made two further mistakes in paying Blackburn compensation instead of waiting for them to sack him and secondly giving him a massive contract worth a fortune which has cost us millions.

And he didn't "just correct it" at all. He hired him, watched a truly awful season, including several key incidents that showed Souness to be worse than we thought possible and he failed to sack him when to do anything other than that was moronic.

He then gave a man who had shown himself to be grossly incompetent, money to spend pre-season (another mistake) and having watched yet more shite from Souness' team he still failed to sack him even though we were a complete embarassment (another mistake). Then finally and way too late he eventually made the right decision and sacked him, but again had no plan in place even though he'd been watching shite for months and should have had the forsight to get something lined up.

From when Bobby should have left to the current day, Fred has made a string of mistakes not just one.

We've already pointed out that us and Liverpool were practically identical not long ago and the different actions of their board and ours as seen the two clubs worlds apart now.

190983[/snapback]

I think he never really made his mind up about Souness or started to think about a replacement till about two weeks before he sacked him. Hence no-one had been sounded out.

Although there are probably outside reasons for it, Alan Pardew is hardly the best known manager in the world yet he probably made the two best Premiership signings this summer.

Money speaks a lot louder than most things.  Players will have seen how we struggled under Souness and that reflects on the club rather than him.

I don't think we paid over the odds for Martins.  He's 21 and he's done well, when he's played, for Inter.  They've just bought Ibrahimivic for lots of money which they needed to recoup some of, they did this by selling one of their reserve strikers.  How nice would it be to have a reserve striker of Martins' quality ?

Roeder has an amazing track record with youngsters and I'm sure we'll be seeing that this year - mainly because we now need to play them.  N'Zogbia will be PFA Young Player of the Year this season.

190111[/snapback]

With respect, Pardew had nowt to do with the signings of the two Argentinians. In his exact words, 'The Chairman approached me on Monday and asked if I would like to sign...' Never in his wildest dreams would he have expected to sign them; it's like Elle MacPherson dreams of sleeping with me, but it just aint gonna happen :blink:

i made the following point yonks ago.....

Each manager has been appointed on the basis on the failures of his predecessor.

For example:

Dalgleish appointed as a proven winner cos Keegan never won out.

Guillitt appointed to give us sexy football as Dalgleish style of football was a bit bland.

Robson appointed (partly) cos of  his father figure man managment skills as Guillitt fell out with players

Souness appointed to restore discipline as Robson had 'lost the dressing room'

Roeder appears to be a break in the chain but only cos he was the cheap option.

190989[/snapback]

Spot and on. Shows how much Shepherd plans things really.