Caller on Century FM

LeazesMag

has actually been trying to say to Bob Moncur that in his time, we put up a fight against the "top teams".

He must have forgotten our abysmal showing in the 1974 Cup Final, along with

5-1 defeats at Leeds, 4-0 at Arsenal, 5-0 at Liverpool, 4-0 at Notts forest, 6-0 at Blackpool, another 5-0 at Leeds, 4-0 at Spurs, 6-1 at West Brom, 5-0 at West Ham, 5-0 at Wolves, 4-1 at Southampton....all during Bobs time playing for Newcastle. Not to mention years of cup humiliations against the biggest shite you could think of, and 3 consecutive finishes of 15th which is now looked on as a "golden era".

Nowt like a selective memory.

To be fair to Bob, he took the call well, and correctly reminded the caller that the board/chairman have appointed the managers and backed them all which is what they should do, and the reason for the current situation is simply that far too much of this money has been wasted by the managers concerned.

Spinning his "board" mantra when no-one is even bringing it up.

Brilliant. I bet he could start a fight in an empty room.

Only the 5th biggest room in the country though :lol:

Sima - I'm only repeating what Bob said, as it happens I do agree with him

and PL...it wasn't you was it :D

Spinning his "board" mantra when no-one is even bringing it up.

Brilliant. I bet he could start a fight in an empty room.

Only the 5th biggest room in the country though :lol:

Sima - I'm only repeating what Bob said, as it happens I do agree with him

and PL...it wasn't you was it :D

If it had been me it would most likely have been a 10 minute long tirade against English refs!!! <_<

has actually been trying to say to Bob Moncur that in his time, we put up a fight against the "top teams".

5-1 defeats at Leeds, 4-0 at Arsenal, 5-0 at Liverpool, 4-0 at Notts forest, 6-0 at Blackpool, another 5-0 at Leeds, 4-0 at Spurs, 6-1 at West Brom, 5-0 at West Ham, 5-0 at Wolves, 4-1 at Southampton....all during Bobs time playing for Newcastle. Not to mention years of cup humiliations against the biggest shite you could think of, and 3 consecutive finishes of 15th which is now looked on as a "golden era".

To be fair to Bob, he took the call well, and correctly reminded the caller that the board/chairman have appointed the managers and backed them all which is what they should do, and the reason for the current situation is simply that far too much of this money has been wasted by the managers concerned.

Who appoints the managers who waste the money?

Who appoints the managers who waste the money?

Managers are appointed on the basis that a club thinks they can bring you success. 3 of our last 4 managers had good track records, particularly Dalglish who had an outstanding one. Managers of this calibre also only sign for clubs who match their own ambitions and profile. Dalglish and Gullit took us to our first cup finals in 22/23 years, and Bobby Robson took us into europe and a top 5 place 3 times, including a champions league run. Before 1992, managers such as this wouldn't even look twice at Newcastle, proven in 1989 when even a Geordie lad like Howard Kendall turned the club down, and Bobby Robson was never interested in the club in those days either.

They all disappointed for various reasons, but you cannot knock their track records and the ambiton of the club for appointing such managers with such credentials, if you do, what would you be looking for ?

Managers are appointed on the basis that a club thinks they can bring you success. 3 of our last 4 managers had good track records, particularly Dalglish who had an outstanding one. Managers of this calibre also only sign for clubs who match their own ambitions and profile. Dalglish and Gullit took us to our first cup finals in 22/23 years, and Bobby Robson took us into europe and a top 5 place 3 times, including a champions league run. Before 1992, managers such as this wouldn't even look twice at Newcastle, proven in 1989 when even a Geordie lad like Howard Kendall turned the club down, and Bobby Robson was never interested in the club in those days either.

They all disappointed for various reasons, but you cannot knock their track records and the ambiton of the club for appointing such managers with such credentials, if you do, what would you be looking for ?

I'm confused - which of Souness and Roeder has a good track record, or does Roeder not count? I would say 2/2 out of our last managers have a shit track record.

If you want to go back to when Shepherd has been our chairman, I would say only 2/5, i.e. less than half, had an impressive track record (Dalglish and Robson). A tiny bit of research into Gullit would have revealed him for what he was, and as for Souness, I would say this was the worst premiership appointment in history.

I'm confused - which of Souness and Roeder has a good track record, or does Roeder not count? I would say 2/2 out of our last managers have a shit track record.

If you want to go back to when Shepherd has been our chairman, I would say only 2/5, i.e. less than half, had an impressive track record (Dalglish and Robson). A tiny bit of research into Gullit would have revealed him for what he was, and as for Souness, I would say this was the worst premiership appointment in history.

I don't think that's quite right to be honest...you can remove the word premiership from it!

I don't think its fair to judge Roeder, any manager was taking over a difficult position, under the circumstances I can see choosing someone with coaching ability and a feel for the club having its merits, although he wasn't my number 1 choice or yours.

I had doubts about Gullit, but plenty of people backed him, especially when we got to Wembley, so to suggest otherwise now is simply hindsight. I am not doubting that any board can only make so many appointments that don't work out, however people suggest we don't appoint top managers when Robson and Dalglish were among the most respected and successful managers in the game.

Fact is also, even Dalglish and Gullit were both only 90 minutes from making history, such is the thin line between success and failure. On both those occasions the team didn;t turn up. You can't blame anyone other than the players, and maybe the managers, for that.

I don't think its fair to judge Roeder, any manager was taking over a difficult position, under the circumstances I can see choosing someone with coaching ability and a feel for the club having its merits, although he wasn't my number 1 choice or yours.

I had doubts about Gullit, but plenty of people backed him, especially when we got to Wembley, so to suggest otherwise now is simply hindsight. I am not doubting that any board can only make so many appointments that don't work out, however people suggest we don't appoint top managers when Robson and Dalglish were among the most respected and successful managers in the game.

Fact is also, even Dalglish and Gullit were both only 90 minutes from making history, such is the thin line between success and failure. On both those occasions the team didn;t turn up. You can't blame anyone other than the players, and maybe the managers, for that.

I think you can judge Roeder on his managerial record at previous clubs and it is anything but world class. Shepherd's last two managerial appointments have been awful in my view at a time when the right appointment could have really moved the club forward.

Setting out to "contain" Man Utd for goodness sake and thinking only conceding 2 goals is a job well done - you would not hear Mouriniho, Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, O'Neill etc etc saying this