NTFS.SYS File is missing or corrupt

Gemmill

My computer started being all gay and three times yesterday it crashed and then gave me this error message. It tells me to reboot with the XP startup disk in.....only my computer didn't come with one. This is genuine, I don't have a dodgy copy of XP or anything.

Any ideas? Windows computers are FUCKING SHIT.

My computer started being all gay and three times yesterday it crashed and then gave me this error message. It tells me to reboot with the XP startup disk in.....only my computer didn't come with one. This is genuine, I don't have a dodgy copy of XP or anything.

Any ideas? Windows computers are FUCKING SHIT.

:lol:

Have you added a new hard disk? re-formatted an existing one? installed sp2?

What have you been doing (if anything) to get the error?

If you've got a kosher version of XP, I'd ask the place who you got the PC from to supply you with the disk that you have paid money for.

If they refuse, I'd box the thing up and return it. Can't believe some places try that one, it's like buying a car and not being given the keys and expected to hot-wire it instead.

Tossers!

Could well be a hardware conflict if you've installed any recent hardware or swapped cables around?

try swapping your memory sticks in different slots,more often than not it's the memory that causes crap like this and it will make it worse if you keep it in if it's bad

Edited by @yourservice

Have installed a few small pieces of software and some anti-virus/spyware/firewall stuff. Other than that I've not done anything. If I run checkdisk it gives the following message once it's got most of the way through the checkdisk process:

STOP: c000021a Unknown Hard Error

Unknown Hard Error

Have installed a few small pieces of software and some anti-virus/spyware/firewall stuff. Other than that I've not done anything. If I run checkdisk it gives the following message once it's got most of the way through the checkdisk process:

Unknown Hard Error

maybe a restore point was in order to roll back to a time when everything was good,what they should do at SJP tbh

Unknown Hard Error

Do you have Roxio GoBack software installed? if so, get rid as that can cause this problem. If you're having problems booting up then do it from the XP disc and try a repair.