Distin

Baggio

Distin set for return?Nov 5 2006

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle are ready to snatch Sylvain Distin back from Manchester City in a cut-price deal in January.

The Magpies hope to capitalise on the fact that Distin is out of contract next summer to land him for a knock-down fee in the new year.

Although City have offered to make him one of the highest-paid players in the club's history, Distin has refused to sign a new deal - losing the club captaincy as a result.

And the 28-year-old centre-back would be keen to re-join Newcastle, despite having turned down the chance to sign for them after a loan spell on Tyneside in the 2001/02 season.

United boss Glenn Roeder is looking to bring in two central defenders and a left-back in January.

As well as tracking Distin, his scouts have checked on Macedonian stopper Igor Mitreski, who plays for German club Energie Cottbus, and Valencia's David Navarro.

A Newcastle representative eyed Mitreski, Germany Under-21 midfielder Kevin Boateng and Turkish schemer Yildiray Basturk in Cottbus' victory over Hertha Berlin last week.

Give me one good reason why any of them would want to come here.

Wages.

Btw Ben Haim and Neill is also out of contract next summer.

A back four of Bridge, Distin, Ben Haim and Neill sounds good. Not that it will happen.... ;)

Give me one good reason why any of them would want to come here.

Wages.

Btw Ben Haim and Neill is also out of contract next summer.

A back four of Bridge, Distin, Ben Haim and Neill sounds good. Not that it will happen.... <_<

We have more chance of the fat man signing Christian Vieri or Ronaldo because he knows we all want world class strikers ;)

Guest Patrokles

RODDERS, YOU FUCKING NUMBSKULL, WE NEED A FUCKING STRIKER AS SOON AS FUCKING POSSIBLE. ;)<_<<_<:(:(:(:angry::angry:

And some tactics, but the striker is of paramount importance right now. We need to carry some threat to the opposition FFS :angry::angry:

To be fair, everyone was saying exactly the same only with 'defender' instead of 'striker' about 3 weeks ago. Fact is, we need both.

RODDERS, YOU FUCKING NUMBSKULL, WE NEED A FUCKING STRIKER AS SOON AS FUCKING POSSIBLE. ;)<_<<_<:(:(:(:angry::angry:

And some tactics, but the striker is of paramount importance right now. We need to carry some threat to the opposition FFS :angry::angry:

To be fair, everyone was saying exactly the same only with 'defender' instead of 'striker' about 3 weeks ago. Fact is, we need both.

Yesterday was the first game I have managed to get to this season. Apart from the lack of cohesive tactics, the most GLARING thing to my eyes was the lack of goal threat. If we had had a half decent striker that caused Sheff Utd problems we would have won imo. We carried no threat whatsoever to them.

We have ropey defence, but we can pick up points if we have someone capable of scoring a goal. On yesterday's performance we don't have that in any way, shape, or form.

Martins is to return soon, but from what I hear he isn't threatening to score more than five goals this season.

Ameobi is possibly out till the end of the season. Ditto Owen.

Rossi just looked like a Chopra double to me yesterday - and the continued punt up the pitch to him was just sheer lunacy.

We need a striker. Nothing else matters imo. The other positions are just an afterthought - if we get them, good, but if not, then we'll have to make do.

If we get a striker who can actually cause some panic to opponents defenders and score goals we will stay up; without that striker there is no way on God's earth we will avoid the drop.

I'd like to see us sign Zigic. At least hoofing balls up to him would have a little more product.

Started quite well in spain as well, would be fantastic help when defending corners as well like.

WE NEED A FUCKING STRIKER AS SOON AS FUCKING POSSIBLE. ;)<_<<_<:(:(:(:angry::angry:

So once we buy a striker, I bet you'll be like "we need a fucking defender".

We need defenders more than anything at the moment so we don't concede more goals, heard we are going to see about Gudjohnsen and Cassano in January.

WE NEED A FUCKING STRIKER AS SOON AS FUCKING POSSIBLE. ;)<_<<_<:(:(:(:angry::angry:

So once we buy a striker, I bet you'll be like "we need a fucking defender".

We need defenders more than anything at the moment so we don't concede more goals, heard we are going to see about Gudjohnsen and Cassano in January.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yes, in an ideal world I would like a LB and CB but we NEED a striker NOW. PRIORITY.

We are in a precarious position. We are not going to beat the top sides but we NEED to pick up points against the lower-placed clubs in order to finish just above the drop zone, at least.

We have comparable defences with the lower-placed sides but what we don't have is someone to score a goal against them. Until we get that striker, we are going down - no two ways about it. The defence will just have to wait.