'merica

snakehips

Okay, me and the other half have decided to do a bit of touring (not a lot) of USA next year - probably June.

Her mission for January is to check out some places/dates/costs etc etc.

But can someone tell me if we need visas these days to visit??

I really want to go to Vegas, so how long do you recommend I stay for??

I also really want to go to San Francisco. Again, how long you recommend?

Ideally, I would like to fly to New York first and travel on from there, but the distance seems excessive to Vegas. Is NY that good to 'fuck the expense' and go there first, regardless, or would that be better held off for another time?

Anyone recommend places to go between Vegas and San Francisco? Unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I'm not too fussed about L.A. though.

Thanks for any suggestions, help.

Hey, anyone want to come?? We could get a bus!! :calmdown:

Guest Patrokles

L.A. is a hole. You can fly from New York to San Francisco for peanuts so I'm sure going to Vegas will be equally cheap. Use jetblue.

You don't need a visa unless you're staying longer than 90 days.

Guest Patrokles

I personally didn't like New York that much the first time I was there, though it grew on me a bit the second time. San Francisco was okay. I think it'd been hyped so much that I was always going to be a little disappointed by it. Good record store down by the park though.

Okay, me and the other half have decided to do a bit of touring (not a lot) of USA next year - probably June.

Her mission for January is to check out some places/dates/costs etc etc.

But can someone tell me if we need visas these days to visit??

I really want to go to Vegas, so how long do you recommend I stay for??

I also really want to go to San Francisco. Again, how long you recommend?

Ideally, I would like to fly to New York first and travel on from there, but the distance seems excessive to Vegas. Is NY that good to 'fuck the expense' and go there first, regardless, or would that be better held off for another time?

Anyone recommend places to go between Vegas and San Francisco? Unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I'm not too fussed about L.A. though.

Thanks for any suggestions, help.

Hey, anyone want to come?? We could get a bus!! :blink:

I would say New York is a great starting place....As Renton said, Washington DC is a great place to visit. Vegas is a great distance from the east coast. I was just there the week before last it is a wonderful place to go so much to do there (specially if you love to shop :calmdown: ). However, going in June is one of the hottest months there. You won't ever see a day out of the 100's but if you like it hot that is the place to be. Oh my there are so many different places to stay there without knowing much about you hard to recommend a place to stay but if I made a suggestion I would say either MGM Grande or Paris Hotel and if you have kids New York, New York is a great place has a roller coaster. Paris is pretty moderately priced and is pretty much in the middle of the strip. Downtown Vegas is a must see while you are there the Fremont Experience is very cool and that is done in the evening when it is dark. Much cheaper downtown...gambling and food. LA is a different kind of flare and if you like the Hollywood scene that is the place to go. Although, Disneyland is there not sure if that is an interest or not. But of course I can't get away from this post without saying you should check out the Northwest corner of the US....hehe.....Seattle is lovely in June and has lot's to offer. :D I could keep going on but the match is about to begin and I can't miss it. lol.

Edited by Leesa

Guest Patrokles

I always wanted to go to Chicago, and I've heard really good things about it. That's a decent stop-off between San Francisco and New York, too, when I flew back to the east coast, I connected in Chicago.

I only did the East Coast but there are certain clusters that are good to visit.

New York - Boston = 3.5 hours

Orlando - Miami - Key West = 2 hours each

Atlanta - Lynchburg (JD) - Memphis (Graceland) = 4ish hours each

Edit* Just found this route map of the place i visited

map.jpg

Edited by J69

The best of America is in the West

Fly into Colorado Springs then zig zag thru the mountains (Vail, Breckinridge ect) SW towards Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, LA and then up coastal Highway 1 to San Francisco

Its a fair bit of driving but we've done it in two weeks with breaks in SF, LA and Las Vegas

June is gettign HOT and the schools are out so it will be a bit more expensive than say May or September

Grand Canyon and Monument Valley are mandatory according to my well travelled mate.

same goes for NYC, heard really bad things about DC after you've done the touristy bit.

If you want to go to NY, I would go there, then fly to San Francisco - stay for 4 or 5 nights. If you don't want to do LA (although Santa Monica is nice and definitely worth visiting, even if it's just for the drive down PCH), then you could go to Lake Tahoe for a few days, then drive down from there through Death Valley and come out the bottom of Death Valley pretty much in Vegas - you can get a helicopter tour from Vegas to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam and all that. After that you could drive to San Diego. Yosemite National Park would also be doable on the whole San Francisco - Tahoe - Vegas leg as well.

(Problem with Death Valley and Vegas in June is obviously going to be the heat).

I know decent hotels in San Francisco, I know these nice cottages to stay in in Tahoe, and some other places but it would depend how much you're wanting to spend.

Yosemite is a dreadful spot in the US school holidays

the Grand Canyon is only an overnighter unless you fancy a trip INTO the Canyon - and if you are not fit then mid June is a BAD time to go - it gets hellishly hot

On the Coast its worth stopping at the Hurst Mansion and at Monterey (to see the Packard Aquarium if nowt else)

I thought the Hurst Mansion was shite tbh, Rob. Monterey is nice though, as is Carmel - the drive around Pebble Beach golf course is worth it just to see how the other half live.

I drove round the Canyon, and tbh, once you've seen it from a few different angles and the OMG factor has worn off, it's just a big hole in the ground. If I went to see it again I'd do the helicopter from Vegas.

You'd be right about Yosemite though - it was canny busy when I was there and that was outside of any school holidays. Tahoe is well worth a visit though, especially if you can avoid being there on a weekend.

nice pool at the hurst place I thought....................

If you go to Monumnet Valley try and get into Gouldings Lodge - its expensive and not very good BUT its right in the Valley - fabulous sunrise and sunsets

AS you say Gemmill - the Canyon is just a bloody great hole - after a couple of hours it gets a bit repetitive

No-one should miss Vegas tho'

I thought the Hurst Mansion was shite tbh, Rob. Monterey is nice though, as is Carmel - the drive around Pebble Beach golf course is worth it just to see how the other half live.

I drove round the Canyon, and tbh, once you've seen it from a few different angles and the OMG factor has worn off, it's just a big hole in the ground. If I went to see it again I'd do the helicopter from Vegas.

You'd be right about Yosemite though - it was canny busy when I was there and that was outside of any school holidays. Tahoe is well worth a visit though, especially if you can avoid being there on a weekend.

Worth going to New York. UN building is very interesting and the harbour around Brooklyn Bridge is worth going to for the views. If you can book into the Federal Reserve then that is worth doing. Its free iirc but you have to do it in advance. Get your lass to stroke the Bulls nuts and your sorted apparently!

As Gemmill says the area around Carmel, Monterey and Pacific is well worth seeing. Bit colder than LA but superb beaches. The 17 Mile Drive through Pebble Beach reminds you how wealthy some people are. Its a 5 hour flight from JFK to LAX but cheap as chips. Drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Big Sur is fun but I was shit scared of the edges of cliffs.

San Francisco can be done in a day but its too much really. Spend about 3 days there. Alcatraz and the Golden Gate are close together. Then Vesuvios and City Lights book shop (home of the Beat Poets like Kerouac) isnt too far away from there. Muir Woods is up the road about 30kms at a guess but stunning. I would say go to Haight Ashbury if you like a bit of musical history and go into Amoeba Record ship on Haight Street. Very good restaraunt round the corner too if you like Mexican food.

Worth going to the Hollywood Bowl jsut for the experience no matter who is on and its never too expensive to get in and Sunset Strip you can see Starfuckers at the Cat Club. Really good band of famous (ish). If you want your nuts felt then go to the Body Shop. Some bonny lasses there at $40 dollars a fumble :calmdown: Failing that go to Zuma beach and watch the Dolphins then the big titted lasses from Malibou! :blink:

Hope that helps

Guest Patrokles

Grand Canyon and Monument Valley are mandatory according to my well travelled mate.

same goes for NYC, heard really bad things about DC after you've done the touristy bit.

DC is a bit boring too. And far too hot in summer. Built on a swamp.

Zuma Beach. :calmdown:

www.blueandgoldfleet.com to book your trip to Alcatraz. Take the night tour though cos it's better. You'll need to book in advance to be sure of getting it sorted.

The whole Nashville - Memphis - New Orleans deep south thing is worth doing as well if you're gonna be there a long while. I went from Nashville to Memphis to Jackson, Mississippi, to somewhere else I can't remember where, then to New Orleans and it was a good laugh. Some fucking WEIRD people knocking about though.

By the way make sure you have an address and telephone number of where you first stay in USA. Need it for visa form on plane on way over. There are plenty of hotels up in Midtown Manhattan and the Metro system is easy to navigate from there. Youre not far from Central Park. Hotels can be expensive though so be careful there. I was in a basic in Santa Barbara this summer and it was $200 dollars a night. Similar in NYC the summer before. You might need to book well in advance to get some decent rates.

By the way make sure you have an address and telephone number of where you first stay in USA. Need it for visa form on plane on way over.

You can just write any old shit tbh. I did last time cos I couldn't remember my mate's address. :calmdown:

DON'T

I know people who were given bucket loads of shit because they didn't have THE EXACT address of their hotel - and not just a Post Office Box number either

US Immigration are one of the worst in the world - they REALLY don't like visitors and if they are in a strop they will look for blue ink when you should use black, exact saddreses, everything written INSIDE the correct box ... or else