Dyer picking up the baton from Shearer

Dr Gloom

"some of our supporters would prefer us to win the FA Cup more than anything else."

what a load of cobblers. would anyone honestly rather we won the fa cup than the league or the european cup?

it's my opinion that a league title is as clear an indication that your team has attained a longlasting high standard, FA cup can be won by teams who get by on a little luck or a lot of hardwork but lack that genuine quality.

The FA Cup is special like just because of the History.

BUT

To put it over the lague due to that reason is stupid. Like has been mentioned, the league shows you have done it week in week out from Aug - May!

This myth that toon supportes want the FA cup the most has stuck to our fans for alongtime now and its never going to go away i suspect.

I'm sure there are a handful of toon fans out there who, for whatever reason genuinely want to win the FA cup more, but i have never met or spoken to one in my life and internet messageboards don't seem filled with them either.

If i was given the choice of any trophies (in some fantasy alternate reality) i'd go CL (you're essentially the best in the world and everybody knows it) then Prem and then either UEFA or FA cup. I'd pick UEFA then FA cup these days, but i suspect alot of people wold go for FA before UEFA.

Since we're toon fans though, it's not a debate we're ever likely to need to have!

To be fair to Dyer though, he is at least saying "some of our fans" whereas Big Al would often just say "Newcastle fans want to win the FA cup the most"

it's my opinion that a league title is as clear an indication that your team has attained a longlasting high standard, FA cup can be won by teams who get by on a little luck or a lot of hardwork but lack that genuine quality.

Yeah, only have to win 6 games to win the FA cup.

"some of our supporters would prefer us to win the FA Cup more than anything else."

Argh I hate this whole thing. Used to cringe every time Shearer said it - which he always did.

As well as writing his fan club newsletters in the Journal every other day, Luke Edwards must be scripting Dyer's press quotes too. Yeuch.

Yeuch? :yes

...quoi?

As well as writing his fan club newsletters in the Journal every other day, Luke Edwards must be scripting Dyer's press quotes too. Yeuch.

Yeuch? :yes

...quoi?

Perfectly acceptable Beano-/Dandy-style expression of disgust. Surely your vocabulary isn't that limited? :yes

He's right though, some of our supporters (The Shearer can do no wrong, Parker is mint, Shepherd is right about everything brigade) would rather win the FA Cup.

Loads of them kicking around like :lol: