Young guns undone

Nobby

Young guns undone - Le Tissier

TOTTENHAM v NEWCASTLE

Barclays Premiership

LIVE ON SKY SPORTS

Sunday, January 14

3.30pm, Sky Sports 1 & HD1

I was a little disappointed with Tottenham last weekend.

I know Cardiff is not the easiest place to go, but they had been on an awful run and I really did expect more from the Premiership side.

Yes the crowd are intimidating, yes the weather was poor, but I do think Martin Jol could have been a little more positive.

Spurs are always strong at home and should have no problems in the replay, but the last thing they need is another game.

I was surprised we didn't see Robbie Keane earlier.

They just lacked a little invention and he is the one man that can provide it. Now he is fit, it does give Tottenham another option, as well as Jermain Defoe and Dimitar Berbatov have been playing.

That is what they need, because without Aaron Lennon they do tend to become very narrow and much, much easier to defend against.

The young Newcastle back four have been outstanding, but for all their recent heroics, they do have Nolberto Solano playing out of position at right-back and young David Edgar at left-back, so you would think Tottenham would want to get at those two and test them out.

Then again, that defence has been outstanding. I have been very, very impressed with Steven Taylor, who has been an absolute lionheart in the middle. He just defends, nothing fancy, just defends.

Those youngsters have made what could have been a disastrous time much easier to swallow for the Toon Army and they and Glenn Roeder do deserve a little more credit than they are getting.

Newcastle have had an horrific time with injuries yet they are doing well in the Uefa Cup and have picked up some decent results in the Premiership.

They are slowly getting players back, including Kieron Dyer, which has been a massive lift.

When fit he is a real handful, although I would prefer to see him playing off a striker rather than out on the right, because he needs to get on the ball and influence things.

But he needs a target man, like Alan Shearer to do that with, not Obafemi Martins, who incidentally has been another revelation.

We won't mention his penalty miss over Christmas but I watched him against Birmingham in the cup and he looked a real threat.

Newcastle need those two if they are going to stand a chance here.

LE TISS PREDICTS

HOME WIN - Spurs' home form is usually their saviour and they will want to bounce back from that defeat to Liverpool after Christmas. I expect them to be a lot more positive than we saw against Cardiff and with Keane, Defoe and Berbatov - who is really looking the part now - to choose from, they should have enough to get past a Newcastle side. This looks like it should be a decent game for the Super Sunday viewers with goals in, so I'll go for a 2-1 home win.

Is Le Tiss amiss? Spurs to win 2-1 is 7/1 with Sky Bet.

MATT'S MAIN MAN

AARON LENNON - It is difficult when a young kid bursts onto the scene and looks like a world-beater and then it doesn't happen every week, but I think Martin Jol has handed him fairly well. I do think he is ready to start and expect him to here. The one thing I would like to see is an improvement in his goal return, because for me he doesn't get enough. He needs to improve his runs at the back post a little better, maybe hang back a little, because he is never going to go and win headers. He can do it, but maybe the coach needs to have a little word. If he gets that right, then he really does have the lot.

Is Le Tiss amiss? Lennon last goal is 9/1 with SkyBet

Edited by NobbySolano