Ali 65 today

Rob W

ESPN Classic is showing Ali stuff day, there's a documentary about The Rumble In The Jungle on at the moment.

When We Were Kings? Class film.

Is there no Ali stuff on the BBC tonight? A chance for them to actually put on something worthwhile surely. Didn't Des Lynam go over and do a visit to Louisville and his old training camp for his 60th birthday?

I remember him wetting himself over the fact that Ali once used his "You ain't as dumb as you look" line on him. :lol:

"I done something new for this fight!

I done rassled with a alligator!

That’s right, I have rassled with a alligator.

I done tussled with a whale!

I done handcuffed lightning, throwed thunder in jail!

That’s bad.

Only last week

I murdered a rock

Injured a stone

Hospitalized a brick.

I’m so mean, I make medicine sick!"

Rocky Marciano best fighter ever

Do you reckon? Pretty well managed career and was world champion for only 3 years (iirc), which is still some achievement obviously. Retired undefeated but his career doesn't really stand up to the likes of Louis' and Ali's (and others) imo. Edit: and those are just heavyweights.

Edited by alex

Do you reckon? Pretty well managed career and was world champion for only 3 years (iirc), which is still some achievement obviously. Retired undefeated but his career doesn't really stand up to the likes of Louis' and Ali's (and others) imo. Edit: and those are just heavyweights.

aye he was heavyweight champ 52-56, it was his determination that i like. "he was named fighter/boxer of the year by Ring Magazine three times. His three championship fights between 52-54 were named fights of the year by the same magazine.

Rocky Marciano is the ONLY undefeated champion in ANY weight class in the history of gloved boxing.

Considering how many champions there have been, somewhat over 300, that is quite a feat in itself.

But he also brought to boxing the kind of dignity and courage that makes us admire the truly great athletes.

Rocky Marciano stood out like a rose in a garbage dump. "Jimmy Cannon said of The Rock's character in a sport that all too often is tainted by corruption and greed."

I think that cobblers, his defences were against total has beens !

Archie Moore who was about 45 at the time, Don Cockle ffs who was utter shite, Jersey Joe Walcott who was at least 40 and Marciano struggled to beat, Ezzard Charles, a great light-Heavyweight that was past his peak that Marciano REALLY struggled to beat, strong rumours that the Mafia threatened the ref when he wanted to stop the fight due to Marciano's busted nose.

Marciano was a great fighter, but to call him the best is a long way wide of the mark in my opinion, for me its between Ali and Jack Johnson.

Would have liked to see Tyson at his peak v Ali at his. Now that would have been a clash of contrasting styles.

Think Ali would have won it as he would have been too smart for Tyson and in the end just frustrated him, as no doubt leading into the fight he would have wound Tyson up something rotten and Tyson would have went into it all guns blazing with no plan whatsoever.

Would have liked to see Tyson at his peak v Ali at his. Now that would have been a clash of contrasting styles.

Think Ali would have won it as he would have been too smart for Tyson and in the end just frustrated him, as no doubt leading into the fight he would have wound Tyson up something rotten and Tyson would have went into it all guns blazing with no plan whatsoever.

Agreed, but Tyson would always have a punchers chance, Ali was put on his arse several times during his career, although I feel Ali would have done to Tyson what he did to Liston and Foreman, you never know, with Tyson's power he might have had enough power to keep him on the canvas for 10.

We'll never know.

'The Fight' by Norman Mailer (about the lead up to and the Rumble in the Jungle) is an excellent read and would appeal to anyone who enjoyed 'When We Were Kings'.

most things by Norman Mailer are good reads. excellent writer.

IMHO of course.

the whole premise of when we were kings was based around what mailer and a few others were writing at the time. oh and the fight itself!

Edited by canofbeans

IMHO of course.

the whole premise of when we were kings was based around what mailer and a few others were writing at the time. oh and the fight itself!

'The Naked and the Dead' :lol:

IMHO of course.

'The Naked and the Dead' :rolleyes:

is that the one set in E london?

IMHO of course.

'The Naked and the Dead' :rolleyes:

is that the one set in E london?

Ipswich :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...